What the deuce is this thing? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I mentioned this years ago, but for the record the screw is for calibration, not for tightening down all the way. Here's Toyota's statement on it:

The screw mounted at the top of the damper provides an easy check for fuel system pressure. When the screw is up it means the fuel rail is pressurized. Under most conditions, this check is adequate. The screw is nonadjustable and it is used to calibrate the damper at the factory.

If it leaks, replace it. If it doesn't, leave it alone.
I checked mine a couple weeks ago and the screw was backed out so I screwed it back in tight. I swear it ran better at idle and low rpm's with the screw out but figured it was just in my head.

No need. It's just a pulsation dampener, not a pressure regulator.

I imagine Toyota calibrates it at the factory, as they stated, so the spring doesn't block the fuel too much nor take spring function away. The spring is there to dampen/absorb the pulsations of fuel and prevents saturation down stream causing a sputter, etc.

I'm hoping that the screw is supposed to be tightened but not with a lot of force as perhaps that's how Toyota initially calibrated. And I hope that we are not over-tightening it and taking away the ability to dampen by opening the path too much.

@diesellibrarian , where and for how much did you get the FPD? I'm seeing some crazy high prices out there.

1590263418666.png

Last edited:
I checked my damper screw today and it was backed-out but still under the cap. I screwed it back in and was able to adjust my new TPS to bring down my idle. Looking forward to improved MPG ;). I'm most likely going to buy a new damper anyway. Thank you MUD family!

So it was the one without the screw, right? Worked OK?
Yup. Rivet instead of screw, no plastic cover. Looks just like the one posted earlier in this thread. Different gasket type as well. Seems to work great! I was getting a fuel smell in the cabin that I traced to the FPD. The smell is gone now.

Do you know if this is fitted on Aus spec fj62s with the 3F?
Tried to locate the part in the area described and could not see anything

It will only be there if you have a 3FE. The FPD is a part of the fuel injection system, not a carburetor fuel system.

Just checked it on my 1990 FJ62. The cap and screw were both in place, and the screw was snug.

I was kinda hoping it would’ve been loose under the cap, I could screw it back in, and reaffirm the mythical powers of the FPD screw.

Just checked it on my 1990 FJ62. The cap and screw were both in place, and the screw was snug.

I was kinda hoping it would’ve been loose under the cap, I could screw it back in, and reaffirm the mythical powers of the FPD screw.
I just checked mine a few weeks ago and it was still snug as well. Didn't think to take a peek at the O-ring though, which after almost 33 years I imagine isn't in that great of shape. Considering just replacing the whole unit for preventative maintenance sake, especially since the new style uses a rivet that doesn't come loose. Install and forget. But OTOH, how often do I check it and only when I first found it was the screw loose.....

I want better MPG also and found this thread while looking through 3FE tune-up. But, I see two fuel dampers with an old part pre-fix of 23270, but the P/N cited by @diesellibrarian is NOT listed as a match for my 1988 FJ62 on the passport Toyota parts site. The supposed replacement P./N is 2320720011. Interchangeable? See images below:

correct fuel damper.png

wrong fuel damper.png

Here's a nice video that explains - and demonstrates visually - what the dampener does. The dampener in this 1uzfe video appears to be similar to the 3fe dampener. My takeaway from the video is that the screw DOES need to be seated - and may be secured through the use of threadlock - but should not be overtightened in such a way as to pull the diaphragm up. I'd love to hear other opinions of the screw's function in light of what this video shows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom