Aftermarket seats..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My passenger side bracket needed some “adjusting” to align the rear bolt holes to the tub. Tomorrow I’m going to remove everything I just did and replace my fuel gauge sender. Hopefully it will go back in easier the second time.

Would one of you with these seats please shed light on what the 19" dimension represents here? Is it the measurement from the outer edges of the sliders or what? Thanks!

1614637489152.png

Would one of you with these seats please shed light on what the 19" dimension represents here? Is it the measurement from the outer edges of the sliders or what? Thanks!

View attachment 2600482
I don't have these seats but I would say it is the bottom of the seat foam. The top is wider and drafts inward toward the bottom.

I don't have these seats but I would say it is the bottom of the seat foam. The top is wider and drafts inward toward the bottom.

+1. Measured mine and found the same - the bottom of the seat at its widest point near the front.
Sliders are more narrow than that.

+1. Measured mine and found the same - the bottom of the seat at its widest point near the front.
Sliders are more narrow than that.
Also considering these seats, are they really higher than stock as commented higher up this thread? I’m 6ft4 and top of windscreen is already in my eye line.

Also considering these seats, are they really higher than stock as commented higher up this thread? I’m 6ft4 and top of windscreen is already in my eye line.

In my 1980 FJ40, yes. The "universal" brackets on the seat bottoms have three vertical holes (on every corner) for height adjustment. Even using the highest of the three holes, i.e. the lowest possible setting, the seat foam is much thicker (and hence more comfortable) than stock and you will sit higher than in the stock seats. I'm 6'2", and the extra leg room on the bottom is nice, but yes my eyes are now right at the top of the windscreen. Sometimes have to bend my head down to see a traffic light if I'm the first one in the queue.

Looks like from your avatar photo that you have an earlier 40 though, with the petrol tank under the seat. If that is the case, someone else with these seats in a pre-'79 40 needs to address your question.

I agree with @1911 . I have mine on the highest setting (would have to cut the brackets to access the lower settings), and at 6'-1", nearly 6'-2", I am pretty high up. The extra leg room is nice, but the steering wheel is close to my thighs and I also have to lean forward to see lights if I'm the first in line...but I also have to do that in my daily driver SUV.

Maybe one day I'll remove the seat and cut the brackets so I can get to the lower setting, but for now the seats are still a significant improvement.

Can someone confirm if/which after-market seat options have a long-travel or flip forward option? I have a '74 and a rear bench seat (with kiddo seats), and am looking for an option that will enable the maximum possible clearance to step behind a front seat and into the rear.

Can someone confirm if/which after-market seat options have a long-travel or flip forward option? I have a '74 and a rear bench seat (with kiddo seats), and am looking for an option that will enable the maximum possible clearance to step behind a front seat and into the rear.
By flip forward, some modern 2 door vehicles have front seats that completely elevate up & forward to create a lot more space for getting into the back. The stock seats & brackets really aren't cutting it for me.

The Procar seats fold forward and if you slide them all the way forward this is what you get. It’s not great but better than stock.

View attachment 2601431

The Procar seats fold forward and if you slide them all the way forward this is what you get. It’s not great but better than stock.

View attachment 2601431
Thank you for the pic. Definitely better than stock ... but still leaves me wanting for more. Be nice if that seat would slide forward another 12" or so.

The Procar's look close to stock which is what I'm after. How is the lumbar support? The seats looks similar, does that mean they feel the same too?
The current stock seats feel like I'm sinking in and lumbar support is what we need. Headrest sounds nice but not sure how it will fit in our UTE.

The Procar's look close to stock which is what I'm after. How is the lumbar support? The seats looks similar, does that mean they feel the same too?
The current stock seats feel like I'm sinking in and lumbar support is what we need. Headrest sounds nice but not sure how it will fit in our UTE.
pretty firm, as in you dont sink in...the only thing they are really missing is the metal kick plates on the back of them otherwise very close to looking oe.

The current stock seats feel like I'm sinking in and lumbar support is what we need.

pretty firm, as in you dont sink in...

I agree with @brian, the Procar 90's have much firmer foam than my (40-year-old) stock seats and are more comfortable. As to the lumbar support, my opinion would not be useful - I have scoliosis in my spine and my back does not have a lumbar curve there. I will say that if my Procar is upright, the lumbar area is firm enough that it hurts my lower back (what all lumbar supports do to me). The seat backs are adjustable for how upright or laid back you want to be, so I let mine fall back a bit and they are comfortable for me.

Regarding seat high, for those with the passenger gas tank in the cab, has anyone found a lower profile gas tank that would fit.

I don’t want remove the gas tank, but would like to lower the height to give me room to lower my passenger seat a few inches.

I have a spare tank and have thought of cutting four or five inches out and re-welding - crazy I know.

I do have a rear gas tank, so carry plenty of fuel.

Regarding seat high, for those with the passenger gas tank in the cab, has anyone found a lower profile gas tank that would fit.

I don’t want remove the gas tank, but would like to lower the height to give me room to lower my passenger seat a few inches.

I have a spare tank and have thought of cutting four or five inches out and re-welding - crazy I know.

I do have a rear gas tank, so carry plenty of fuel.
I'm using the Procar seats too. No problem with seat height for the passenger side above the gas tank - from what I can see (and from what my wife and son say - although they have more issues with my driving than the seats I'm guessing...)

Was just looking these last night.... The dark red ones. :grinpimp:

Glad to see they are decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom