Weighing value of Cruiser after worst case scenario (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
New to threads... hopefully I'm doing this right after reading the guide...

So I have a 98 LC with 268k miles on it (no lockers). I've reached the point where I go ahead and do regular maintenance on it adding cost to the vehicle and need to get "kinda" practical against a newer non LC direction. I have young kids and need something that isn't going to "break down" unexpectedly as often but trying to hold on to the LC if a case can be made.

Say my vehicle is worth in the 7-10k range for arguments sake. After a worst case scenario in 3 years where I have to put a new engine AND transmission in it. How does that translate in resale value.

No rust. Good interior condition. etc.

Why would you have to put a new engine and transmission in it? The 2uz engine has logged 1-million miles in more than 1 truck, and the transmission is damn near bulletproof (except for a batch in the 2000 model year).

My take is this: If you’re A) not rich or B) can’t do 95% of the work yourself, then either drive the Cruiser into the ground or sell it. Paying labor costs for maintenance and repairs can quickly exceed the value of the vehicle, and you’ll never get money back on labor costs when you sell it.

With that said, I bought my 100 *because I had young kids*. I wanted something tough and reliable to haul my family in all over the place. But, I do 99% of all the maintenance and repairs myself, so my only costs are for parts. If I had to pay labor costs for everything, I would sell it, because I’m not rich.

If a 100 series doesn't have the original engine, I'm definetly not buying it. It means it was ragged on, neglected, undermaintained, etc. Even with neglect and abuse, the 2uz-fe lives on. If it doesn't have the original trans and is under 250k miles, I'm questioning. The 343 trans is a stout piece, except for the batch of 99/2000s that needed to be replaced.

Replaced engines will never be as good as the original. Chances are it came from a Tundra or Sequoia and is a US made unit. Worse is if the 2uz was rebuilt. No thanks.

Also its really easy to check if its the original engine too, VIN is stamped on the heads.

Thanks so much. Engine is great. Good compression etc. and so is transmission. Just working out worst case scenarios for cost.

Two options below:
A) Basically keeping up the LC using mechanics bc I don't have the time to do work. After 5 years I have close to 14k in it including it's original purchase price (not including if something major like an engine or transmission.... End of 5 years it's maybe appreciated. to 13k. (total guess)

B) Buy a 50k mile Toyota sedan for $18k and not have any major maintenance for 5 years BUT it's depreciated to $10k.

LC is cheaper but maybe could have issues on longer road trips. etc. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my LC but I'm trying to be a smart practical father at the same time.

If a 100 series doesn't have the original engine, I'm definetly not buying it. It means it was ragged on, neglected, undermaintained, etc. Even with neglect and abuse, the 2uz-fe lives on. If it doesn't have the original trans and is under 250k miles, I'm questioning. The 343 trans is a stout piece, except for the batch of 99/2000s that needed to be replaced.

Replaced engines will never be as good as the original. Chances are it came from a Tundra or Sequoia and is a US made unit. Worse is if the 2uz was rebuilt. No thanks.

Also its really easy to check if its the original engine too, VIN is stamped on the heads.
Thanks! Appreciate your thoughts on my comment above.

Why would you have to put a new engine and transmission in it? The 2uz engine has logged 1-million miles in more than 1 truck, and the transmission is damn near bulletproof (except for a batch in the 2000 model year).

My take is this: If you’re A) not rich or B) can’t do 95% of the work yourself, then either drive the Cruiser into the ground or sell it. Paying labor costs for maintenance and repairs can quickly exceed the value of the vehicle, and you’ll never get money back on labor costs when you sell it.

With that said, I bought my 100 *because I had young kids*. I wanted something tough and reliable to haul my family in all over the place. But, I do 99% of all the maintenance and repairs myself, so my only costs are for parts. If I had to pay labor costs for everything, I would sell it, because I’m not rich.

312,000 original miles on my '98 and if I was to ever sell, my daughters would never speak to me again.

Too much family history and trips are in that ol' chassis...

Keep it and follow the advise in this forum for maintenance and such. The vehicle will take you and your family places you'll never forget.

312,000 original miles on my '98 and if I was to ever sell, my daughters would never speak to me again.

Too much family history and trips are in that ol' chassis...
Awesome! I took my daugter to kindagarten in one of our 2000 LXs with about 43K miles. We had many family adventures in it. She began driving it at 16 and today drives it to her job as an RN with 360k miles. Not a second of engine or tranny trouble. Although, probably will need to change the TB soon.

1614139068371.gif

Well...my 99 tranny needed a rebuild last month unfortunately at 350k. Seventeen years of loyal service to me, who’s to complain. Whatever, $2600 on a rebuild, money well spent. Back at it and ready for a few 100k more.

The other factor is safety for your young family and comfort.

As those kiddos grow they will be more comfortable in the 100 and you will enjoying it better than a smaller sedan.

Heck I bought a 200 and the 100 series in my eyes still is better for comfort.

It will have some costs to maintain but well worth it.

Awesome! I took my daugter to kindagarten in one of our 2000 LXs with about 43K miles. We had many family adventures in it. She began driving it at 16 and today drives it to her job as an RN with 360k miles. Not a second of engine or tranny trouble. Although, probably will need to change the TB soon.
Those are the stories I love. I have 3 kids under 5, and I will be taking them all to kindergarten in my LX and more!

All four of my children have grown up in Land Cruiser since riding in car seats. Then they have all driven land cruisers in sig line since then that I handed down. It wasn’t until my oldest son drove his 80s series ito college and his friends ooohed and ahhhhed over it that he realized just how cool his childhood and his Dad really had been all these years. 😎

And visiting my youngest son in college this past weekend, he told me...dad I really like my truck (triple locked 80 series).

I save a bundle of money on insurance and taxes by owning vehicles from the late 1990s. Actually, I have a 99 model Tacoma, LX470., the three other Nissans in that age range.

I would rather restore a Japanese vehicle from the late 1990s than drive something new. Easy to work on and fewer problems over the long haul.

To me with used cars it's about value after depreciation. A new vehicle is only going to lose value. I'm guessing that the repairs needed will cancel out the appreciation of a 100 series. I don't have the time at this stage of life to do the maintenance my self so that's where I'm stuck. Appreciate your straight up advice on maintenance cost never being able to be recaptured in a sale.

Hold onto the cruiser and if you need something more reliable for the time being get something newer.
You'll kick yourself for selling the cruiser, even if you get enough for it to buy a newer replacement outright.

Realistically, how much maintenance do you think it will require (assuming you have it baselined)? I went through similar thoughts when my kiddos were little, work and family sucked up all my time and my time to play with Land Cruisers got whittled down to nothing. That said, your 100 is pretty much fully depreciated, might even be going UP in value given the current market. Your 100 is a tank that will carry all the (amazing amount of) crap that families with little kids require, and -again, assuming it's baselined- deliver your family safely back and forth and allow road trips that would be a PITA in a sedan.

Both of my 100s are baselined, I wouldn't hesitate to get in either one of them and drive to Alaska without jamming them full of tools/spare parts.

And yes, some of the maintenance of my 100s is done at the dealership due to time constraints, it's a necessary evil for me.

I'll speak on behalf of the entire forum in saying that we're going to be very heavily biased towards keeping the 100. I made the mistake of replacing my wife's 2003 100 with a g*damn Acura MDX and it turned out to be a bust; ended up replacing the MDX with a 200 series (great day). That 100 was in awesome shape and I should have kept it, probably would be worth a LOT more than I sold it for in 2014.

Hope this helps!

Realistically, how much maintenance do you think it will require (assuming you have it baselined)? I went through similar thoughts when my kiddos were little, work and family sucked up all my time and my time to play with Land Cruisers got whittled down to nothing. That said, your 100 is pretty much fully depreciated, might even be going UP in value given the current market. Your 100 is a tank that will carry all the (amazing amount of) crap that families with little kids require, and -again, assuming it's baselined- deliver your family safely back and forth and allow road trips that would be a PITA in a sedan.

Both of my 100s are baselined, I wouldn't hesitate to get in either one of them and drive to Alaska without jamming them full of tools/spare parts.

And yes, some of the maintenance of my 100s is done at the dealership due to time constraints, it's a necessary evil for me.

I'll speak on behalf of the entire forum in saying that we're going to be very heavily biased towards keeping the 100. I made the mistake of replacing my wife's 2003 100 with a g*damn Acura MDX and it turned out to be a bust; ended up replacing the MDX with a 200 series (great day). That 100 was in awesome shape and I should have kept it, probably would be worth a LOT more than I sold it for in 2014.

Hope this helps!
Oh man. you're totally getting my situation. I'm not an off-road guy really. I just LOVE the vehicles and how the look and feel driving. I don't think it's been totally baselined but has been great up until recently when I had a EFI relay fuse clicking and killing batteries. We found it was linked to the ignition chime is some weird way and hoping that's it. Other than that, it's been a great truck for the past few years I've had it. It's going to need Timing belt, Crank Shaft Oil Seal, VCG - Valve Cover Gasket Renewal, and axle boots all next year probably. So I'm looking at like $4,500 in shop maintenance there which will hurt but then should be fairly good to go. Then I'm assuming it could be like $1k a year worst case with things like brakes, CV boot or other medium random stuff going wrong. Part of me says like literally get a cheap civic and have both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom