SOLD Chicago, IL - 1991 Land Cruiser HZJ80 - LHD 5 Speed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 80 Series
Mileage
Color
Silver
Sold

Full disclosure - I purchased this truck a few days ago from another gentleman on Mud Tan-Jeep. It was a bit of a impulse buy as another very desirable truck has fell into my lap and I am pursuing that. I can't have three trucks, with that said, there's nothing wrong with this truck outside of what is discussed below. I hate doing this, but it is what it is. I did as much due diligence as I could with the truck.

It tracks nicely down the highway and shifts good. All functions of the transfer case work fine. Part-time kit works good. Overall it's a pretty solid truck. I have no reservations driving this anywhere, neither should the prospective buyer. Please feel free to ask any questions or PM me directly. I'll do my best to answer all questions.

This truck came from Nicaragua to the US a few years ago. The original owner had it legally imported and registered in Texas, hence the TEX vin. Dave then bought it and it lived in Nevada for about a year. He drove it, maintained it, and ultimately wanted to repaint it but never got around to it.

Truck comes with keys, a cool ID card, and will have a clean IL

1991 Toyota Land Cruiser Diesel HZJ80 - GX variant
Metal Plate Frame Plate VIN HZJ80-0001302
Vehicle VIN - TEX VIN: TEX112726 (This is the VIN # that is recognized by national databases) - Please feel free to call Texas DMV to confirm like I did.
Mileage/KM - Currently has 187,XXX Miles or 301,XXX KM
I have put ~2200 miles on the truck driving it back from Henderson NV and then around the Midwest thereafter.

Below is information gathered from previous owners.

Drivetrain/Engine:
-1HZ Engine was rebuilt at 165,845 miles or 266,901 KM
-Fuel Injection Pump was rebuilt in 2019 by Abilene Diesel Injection Services
-5 Speed Transmission
-Part Time Kit - Transfer-case was rebuilt at along with the engine
-Clutch was replaced at the same time
-OEM Toyota Radiator replaced
-AC Compressor was replaced
-Master Cylinder and Clutch Master Cylinder replaced

Suspension:
-Front Knuckle job/Axle Seals/Birf Pack & Wheel bearings done
-Front Brakes were done
-OME Shocks/Springs - 3" Lift - w/ Caster Correction bushings
-Front Steering Stabilizer
-Front/Rear Adjustable Panhard bars
-Sway bar bushings replaced
-Tie Rods/Relay rod replaced

Exterior:
-Safari Snorkel
-Oversized Flares
-BFG KM2 35x12.5x16 Wheels (5)
-MT 16 inch wheels
-Frame is clean/solid

Interior:
-FJ80 Cloth seats (front/rear)
-AC/Heat functions great and as it should.
-Power windows/Power Locks and Power Mirrors
-After market head unit

I welcome pre-purchase inspections.

Issues: Some which have been addressed, some are minor

-Windows are slow to go down - Need to clean the tracks
-Tachometer doesn't work, don’t really need it anyways
-Oil Pressure gauge is broken - stuck in a “H” position no impact to performance of engine

I purchased a new gauge cluster, Oil Pressure and Tachometer RPM sending unit, this will go with the truck

-Paint isn't an issue, but it's not that great, It could use a decent paint job. It looks good from 15 feet away. The hood and lower tail gate could really use some paint.

-Dashboard has a few cracks, the carpeted dash mat covers them, this usually happens in hotter climate. I have a lead on a replacement.

Spares:
- 16 Inch Toyota Steel Wheels
- New Front OEM lower Valence
- right Headlight Bezel
- Belts/Air Filter/Fuel Filter
- Misc. Parts
- Operable Gauge Cluster and new sending units

Price: $18,250 and for the record this is not a flip, I paid Dave $17.5K.

I think I covered everything, may have missed something but I’ll circle back and update it as time progresses.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I’ll take much better pictures tomorrow.

FAFFD061-C3CF-4F20-9568-D944D1CB00C3.jpeg

855BF435-C762-47A3-A8FE-4951FFA6E0B9.jpeg

891B92EC-701C-4E6D-A471-298FD08B22B5.jpeg

356EBDED-070E-4204-A877-D06F36174CD2.jpeg

C1C60D65-CBCD-4901-89CC-C7019BA73862.jpeg

Last edited:
That is a good looking truck and a very fair price. Wish you could keep all 3, but definitely understand your situation

I (along with many other MUD members) can vouch for Adil. I’ve known him many years as he’s been a regular at the SAS event in CO. He’s graced us with his very nice HDJ81 and hopefully his newest addition will make it this year :). This new truck is a TD and really excited he’s getting a bit deeper into the LC history with the acquisition. I won’t spoil it as he can share what he’s getting when he’s ready.

That is a good looking truck and a very fair price. Wish you could keep all 3, but definitely understand your situation

I (along with many other MUD members) can vouch for Adil. I’ve known him many years as he’s been a regular at the SAS event in CO. He’s graced us with his very nice HDJ81 and hopefully his newest addition will make it this year :). This new truck is a TD and really excited he’s getting a bit deeper into the LC history with the acquisition. I won’t spoil it as he can share what he’s getting when he’s ready.
Second that!

Good question @LegShot

For one, you won’t win any races with both engines. The 1HDT has more horsepower and torque. Both engines are smooth and deliver a decent power band. The turbo definitely helps on mountain passes.

It’s not uncommon for people to turbo the 1HZ.

Thanks! That was my gut on the 1HZ. I had a 1HD-T in a previous 80 series and regrettably sold it. This has my attention!

More photos here:

Solid guy selling to get another Landcruiser but wishes he could keep them all. Respect the sacrifice of selling this one to keep harmony at home. @Dilspec can you tell us what kind of mileage you experience city and highway?

Appreciate it! Average was 16.8 from NV to IL.

Truck is sold. Thanks for the interest everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom