DIY welding (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I always hated swapping and taping up a half roll of wire so it doesn’t explode into loose loops also changing the tips and changing all the settings/polarity to weld something different every other week.

- Two welders!! - I keep my mig setup for sheet metal welding now. Stick! For getting real with steel!

You can also cut heavy steel with a 6010 rod cranked up to max! it’s splashy though!!

I always hated swapping and taping up a half roll of wire so it doesn’t explode into loose loops also changing the tips and changing all the settings/polarity to weld something different every other week.

- Two welders!! - I keep my mig setup for sheet metal welding now. Stick! For getting real with steel!

You can also cut heavy steel with a 6010 rod cranked up to max! it’s splashy though!!

We have a little 140 here at work that is setup for small stuff. I'm able to borrow it anytime. Will maybe just do that instead of swapping rolls.

Set one up for solid wire/gas shield spray transfer for nice welds like body work or exposed welds you want to look at.

I like stick but if you had two migs. Use the other one for thicker flux core wire and heavy steel welds that can get a little messy.

How did this escalate to a two welder thread? lol

Nick, that's a great machine that will weld anything you can fit in your garage. My mig has only had one wire in it: S6. Its the 7018 of wires, it'll do almost anything. I do have two rolls though 030 diameter for bodywork and 035 for heavier stuff (1/8 and up).

My mig is only 135 amps but with pre heat and multipass i could weld 1" plate if I wanted, it would just take a while.

I always steer people away from the box store units and especially the overseas stuff because when it breaks you are pretty much buggered. My mig is 30 years old and I can still get bits for it at Air Liquide. The parts guy gets a kick out of looking up the antique stuff. Although I've only needed to replace the stinger and a drive wheel.

How did this escalate to a two welder thread? lol

Nick, that's a great machine that will weld anything you can fit in your garage. My mig has only had one wire in it: S6. Its the 7018 of wires, it'll do almost anything. I do have two rolls though 030 diameter for bodywork and 035 for heavier stuff (1/8 and up).

My mig is only 135 amps but with pre heat and multipass i could weld 1" plate if I wanted, it would just take a while.

I always steer people away from the box store units and especially the overseas stuff because when it breaks you are pretty much buggered. My mig is 30 years old and I can still get bits for it at Air Liquide. The parts guy gets a kick out of looking up the antique stuff. Although I've only needed to replace the stinger and a drive wheel.

Hey Cam, thanks very much! Buddy just dropped price to $600, so I messaged and hope to see it asap.

- Darth Vader theme song -
0B482863-F39D-4405-BFBD-8A1E79481888.jpeg

4388CD45-886B-4990-8E91-4373C0533BBF.jpeg

Almost ready to vaporize some planets!

Last edited:
Well, I was 2nd in line for the Power MIG 180c. Guy ahead of me took it. :confused: Back to looking, but no real rush.

Sure a nice machine, but I’m in the same boat.

Champagne taste... and tap water budget.

Sad that I purchased a miller 175 that was used once,6 years later and still never used it. If I need to weld I go over to my buddies shop with 3 welders 2 brakes and a 10 foot shear.

Hey @Deny Old School Rules. I like seeing stuff like this. Speaking of DIY welding.
Sorry to hijack your thread Nick, just couldn’t resist this one. No volume required, cause I don’t
speak ......... either

Live and learn every day. It would be a long day for me to spot weld with an arc like that!!

Thanks @bikersmurf . Just been so busy with the needs of my family/house etc. I've had no time to pursue my welding dreams. Maybe come the long dark winter nights I'll get back to this. First thing is I'm going to pull a new circuit in the house so I can have a more legit plug in my shop. (rather than the tap off my furnace that I have now).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom