3xm Gull Wing windows (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So they finally arrived. I had a set of SOR sliders, they leaked and didn't do much for me. I ordered a set of factory sliders from that guy in Austin. Paid a fortune, told me they were
ready to install. They literally fell apart, completely deteriorated junk, broken missing latches. I won't mention the name of the guy in Austin, but pretty poor.
So after a few years I came across a set of 3xm windows on a guys truck in Duncan. I liked them. $800 pair/ $1020 shipped and finally decided now was the time as I don't sleep
on the roof anymore. It's the cold weather that has me slowed down installing them, as much as I don't want to ruin the factory rubber mouldings as burn 1/2 cord of wood heating the
shop. Here are some pics. They are cool.
IMG_1442.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1452.JPG

Well, no working in the shop today. 8” of nice fluffy snow at 7 am. 2” more later and now it’s 9:20 and
turning to concrete.
Contactor on winch keeps overheating cause CanAm can’t build a alternator that can keep up
so it keeps overheating.

Well, no working in the shop today. 8” of nice fluffy snow at 7 am. 2” more later and now it’s 9:20 and
turning to concrete.
Contactor on winch keeps overheating cause CanAm can’t build a alternator that can keep up
so it keeps overheating.
Mitsubishi does...
59B76B9F-748D-41A0-8476-7A3FA2B60298.jpeg

32 Lbs
215 Amp continuous

up to 300 Amps peak when cold.

Man those things are nicely designed.

Ambulance alternator
Yeah, ATV’s don’t use alternators. They use stators, pathetic little magnetic rings around the crank.
I said alternator earlier as I was tired. Generally cheaper to buy a new ATV than upgrade.

So snow days are over, I’ll get to those windows now. Kinda excited about them.

Ok got em in. Bit frustrating at first but fairly intuitive. They have an inner ring that clamps
the outer shell in. They are a decent attempt at mimicking the actual opening. Supplied with
really decent proper automotive bubble rubber seal so I’m as confident as I can be they
will fit dry even being flat.
Left side. iPad takes poor pics.
B5C303DC-4114-4BB5-90F6-9C63B01DE86B.jpeg
FB192F18-8331-4D91-B127-3A3A509C6E51.jpeg
7945780C-2B82-4181-B56D-C6BD5C4B2148.jpeg

Rh side. The hinge is basically riveted RV hinge. Not fancy. They rivet together. One of the stoppers
fell off when the rivet failed. Nice to know that it sits inside the window frame so it’s impossible for
the window to fall off should the stoppers fail in flight. It just can’t slide all off.
Its a simple design, using very excellent high quality rubber seal on all the applications. I’m quite
impressed with the quality.
E5997817-FC80-4479-B7B7-89FEC1D9A1E3.jpeg
B3275D73-DAFB-4175-A432-1A6505F2218E.jpeg
E28DBC40-B36C-48A2-8C15-DD8167D8EED3.jpeg

The latches are cool, I’m very happy that I can open the hatches latches but the window will not
just pop open it requires initiation to come up. It would piss me off if it could unlatch
and then just pop open. I find the struts too long. I’ll source a set that only open the windows to level.
I‘d prefer it to be open and able to have light rain fall without it dribbling right down the window and inside.
The corners are round so if it’s raining heavy it will come in the ends of the windows. But as I discussed
with Matt, I’ll figure out a small tarp or canvas cover just to add a bit of coverage. Ultimately
I’d like to sleep with them open so I’ll rig up no-see-um netting and rain shield.
lastly, the latches are super high quality. There was no scrimping on these. Overall full marks!

Oooohhhhh, aaaahhhhh!!! I like!

So I ran it through high pressure car wash today. There were a couple of spots below one corner inside.
Not sure how they came to be. I did realize that the foam seal tape they used isn’t closed cell like we use
here in Canada. Probably cause rain in Australia isn’t like rain in Canada. So I’ll peel it off and replace
with something a bit better. Overall they sealed perfectly well. 🤙

awesome idea, I always loved my factory sliding windows but still dreamed of gull wing. they are in my eyes, the best option for side windows hands down.

noticed your wood inner panels...if you'd like, i picked up some high quality textured plastic sheets, i had intentions of cutting panels for the sides and the back of the rear bench seat. 3 sheets, 2 for the sides, 1 thinner for the seat. I don't have a use for them anymore, something you'd be interested in? black plastic.

had something planned like this

1613717605866.png

Thanks for the offer. I need to rebuild those, but I’ve got to drill out the cheap aluminum
Princess auto nutserts first. That has been a frustrating experience. When I get to it I’ll
redo in wood I think. Black plastic seems too dark for an interior

awesome idea, I always loved my factory sliding windows but still dreamed of gull wing. they are in my eyes, the best option for side windows hands down.

noticed your wood inner panels...if you'd like, i picked up some high quality textured plastic sheets, i had intentions of cutting panels for the sides and the back of the rear bench seat. 3 sheets, 2 for the sides, 1 thinner for the seat. I don't have a use for them anymore, something you'd be interested in? black plastic.

had something planned like this

View attachment 2589982
I might be up for those panels if he isn't.

My panels are all shyte. It's on my list for summer projects.

(Windows are very cool Jon)

Curious, where did you get those panels? I need something like that.

Well, after going back and forth on these I've decided to remove them and go with my original
intent of solid panel. So if anyone is interested pm me. They are still on the truck for another week or so.
I've got a trip to Victoria end of next week, then the insurance comes off and the windows come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom