Console Ideas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I'm highly undecided on what I'd like to do for my center console. Replace with a Tuffy or refinish the original? So I figured I'd start a thread and see what other people have done.

My first idea is to add a Tuffy cup holder and refinish the OEM console. I love the Tuffy lock boxes, but I use the top of the OEM for my cell phone and other crap and I'm worried about not having places to put things with the lock box. Has anyone else run into that with their Tuffy? If I go with the lock box, are their pros and cons to the deluxe model and the regular model? I'd like to keep the rear heater as well so that's another obstacle to the Tuffy boxes.

Anyway, advice and experience is appreciated. And we all love pics so share if you got em.

Thanks!

1613628136365.png

Found this pic on a Facebook group. Pretty sweet idea and looks fantastic.

It was the 8 inch one without the radio mount. My wife liked how big it was inside, she could lock her purse in it.

i made one from a .50cal ammo box and a junkyard nissan sedan center console. I was able to retain the rear heater also.

I have the Tuffy center console in mine, it works really well and I love how it looks. The only thing I can't stand is the lock. Mine is always in the locked position so any time you want to open the console you have to use the key - which is annoying if I'm driving as the key is on my key ring. I've looked and there doesn't seem to be any way to change this on my console. It's great for security, but it sure isn't convenient for constant use when I want to quickly access it when driving.

View attachment 2588621
Found this pic on a Facebook group. Pretty sweet idea and looks fantastic.

Full leather wrap interior. What, $3-4K? No improvement in space or use. Had he incorporated a
bigger storage compartment would have been better.
Somehow I can’t see me mucking around in the Yukon with that interior.

Full leather wrap interior. What, $3-4K? No improvement in space or use. Had he incorporated a
bigger storage compartment would have been better.
Somehow I can’t see me mucking around in the Yukon with that interior.
I’m keeping my original seats and door cards so this isn’t an option for me but really nice nonetheless.

I have the console from Cool Cruisers. It's pretty decent, just a rebranded Tuffy box that they brand as theirs, then I modified. I was looking at Ram Mounts console box options. It would be more money than a Tuffy price wise but it's fully customizable, same as the police cruisers use. I think the options would be pretty endless and it would take care of everything from switches to radio options.

+1 for the tuffy, the height is perfect - so much so that you won’t be able to live without it. The grey matches the interior nicely as well

unlike some who commented, you can leave it unlocked to open and close it without any issue. There’s a large cylinder that you press which unlocks the hatch. To lock said hatch you insert the key and depress the cylinder lock

Mine also has a compartment that locks over the stereo deck.

24FBDA11-37A8-4F67-92C7-CB5AC48B2D0F.jpeg

Not sure if you had considered this option or not OP but centered your idea of keeping the original console and adding tuffy cupholders, there is this option to get the cupholders you want:

Assuming you have the 60 series console. Have these in mine. Direct fit to the original console and a might bit cheaper than a tuffy setup. Turns useless space into something great:

IMG_3711.JPG
IMG_3712.JPG

+1 for the tuffy, the height is perfect - so much so that you won’t be able to live without it. The grey matches the interior nicely as well

unlike some who commented, you can leave it unlocked to open and close it without any issue. There’s a large cylinder that you press which unlocks the hatch. To lock said hatch you insert the key and depress the cylinder lock

View attachment 2590455
Thanks for the pic. Sweet setup there.

I have a double din screen in the dash so I wouldn’t be putting a head unit in the console. Is that compartment usable storage?

Thanks for the pic. Sweet setup there.

I have a double din screen in the dash so I wouldn’t be putting a head unit in the console. Is that compartment usable storage?
They sell the same unit without the provision for the head unit, but It would perfectly fit a bunch of rocker switches for auxiliary lights, lockers, etc.

The best part is the height to be honest, I’m 6’1” and my arm rests so comfortably on it that it’s an extension of myself

storage is excellent, you can fit ALOT in there

Last edited:
They sell the same unit without the provision for the head unit, but It would perfectly fit a bunch of rocker switches for auxiliary lights, lockers, etc.

The best part is the height to be honest, I’m 6’1” and my arm rests so comfortably on it that it’s an extension of myself

storage is excellent, you can fit ALOT in there
What about leaning over to roll up/down the passenger side window? Aren't you crushing your ribs?

View attachment 2590455
Yes well despite what you say about said large cylinder mine can only be depressed to open it when the key is in it and in the unlock position. However, you are then unable to remove the key to keep it in the unlock position and so must turn the key back to the lock position before you can remove it from said cylinder. So whatever lock type they decided to put on my model does in fact prevent it from being left in an unlocked state.

Yes well despite what you say about said large cylinder mine can only be depressed to open it when the key is in it and in the unlock position. However, you are then unable to remove the key to keep it in the unlock position and so must turn the key back to the lock position before you can remove it from said cylinder. So whatever lock type they decided to put on my model does in fact prevent it from being left in an unlocked state.
I bet they’d send you a new cylinder and key if you gave them a call - they were great about shipping me a new latch assembly case when I broke mine by accident

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom