Finally! Tailgate Storage! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Met up with Notch today and got one of his tailgate lids. He's in a small shop in Portland, Maine and they are doing some amazing builds in there! The detail work is incredible and it's easy to see why their lids are as good as they are, some of their cars have been featured in national magazines.

So anyway, I got the lid and went about installing it. Now my fab skills are nowhere near the same level as these guys, but I have to say, even on my bent and twisted tailgate the lid came out awesome! First I had to mark up and cut out the new hole. I had two smaller ones cut in previously but wanted more access. After that of course I changed my mind on the paint color of the lid and decided to paint it with the Rustoleum that is closest to the factory color. You can see in the pics it's pretty close.

Then came the fun part, unbending and untwisting my tailgate enough to fit the lid. Mine is in pretty sad shape, that's one of the reasons I wanted a beefier setup for the lid. I managed to scratch up my new paint, but since it's rattle-can stuff I'll just spray it again. My tailgate is MUCH straighter now and even seals better.

And finally, loaded a bunch of crap into the new space. If I didn't have so much junk in there I could probably stuff an EBR or two in that space; there is actually quite a bit of room in the tailgate.

Can't say enough good about Notch and his shop, they make quality products!
DSCF3918.JPG
DSCF3919.JPG
DSCF3922.JPG

DSCF3923.JPG

DSCF3929.JPG

Thanks Chris! That color looks good on there.

Thanks! Your lid is currently the only thing keeping my tailgate straight, it works great for that! Maybe you should market it as a 'tailgate splint!'

:rimshot:

Few more shots:
DSCF3924.JPG
DSCF3921.JPG

Cannot say enough good things about Adam and the staff at Back Bay Customs, I am a VERY satisfied customer!

Thanks Guys!

Any chance these can be made for 60 series?

I want one so bad, but i have a laundry list of things ahead of this for now. One day, one day.....

Ive seen the boat hatches, but i want something like this, for long item storage.

How does that setup hold up when crawling in and out or rolling/ dragging heavy items over the center? That would be my biggest concern. Someone here did a split door DIY that leaves the meat in the center of the tailgate. I like this but would be my only hang-up.

maybe...
But last update from their website was they weren't making them anymore but maybe that's been updated.

"**07/10/2020: We will be producing more of our FJ80 Storage Panels in the future, but it may be a couple months for our next batch to be available while we move to our new location. Sign up for e-mail notifications on our product page."

Sounds like they will be doing another run once they moved into a larger facility soon.

Last edited:
Thanks Chris! That color looks good on there.
@Notch I got to get me one of these, pm you? I keep calling back bay and leaving messages for a few months now.

How can we make this come true? Cash in hand ready to roll. Thanks 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom