What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (59 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Magnetic sheet placed over top of the sunroof. (Stuff people slap on the door of their truck with company logo)
That moonroof is made of glass, how is a mag sheet sticking to it and what's the purpose?

That moonroof is made of glass, how is a mag sheet sticking to it and what's the purpose?
Prevents water ingress due to dried up/shrunk seals. It’s sticking to the metal around the sunroof. I’ve not done this or seen in person.

Went to start the truck again after I went for a ride and nothing.
Everything comes on, but the starter dont even click. Battery still showing good voltage. I ordered a couple of fusible links just for peace of mind, but since the CEL comes on with the key in ACC, I dont think this is the problem.
Any suggestions where to start?

Everything comes on, but the starter dont even click. Battery still showing good voltage. I ordered a couple of fusible links just for peace of mind, but since the CEL comes on with the key in ACC, I dont think this is the problem.
Will it start from neutral?

What? You don't have glass magnets?

I recently did exactly this based on @HardyDanger post.

I bought a roll of magnetic sheet 24" W x 10 ft long
(you can also buy 5 ft long, but I wanted enough to have a backup plan).

I bought the 0.030" thick sheet.

I trimmed the sheet to 24" wide x 52" long and I radiused the corners to about a 2" radius.

I washed and dried the roof area from the windshield back to where the roof rack rails set.

I laid out the sheet on the roof and worked to align it square with the truck and the front edge of the sheet is about 2-1/2 forward of the front edge of the sunroof glass. This leaves about 1-1/2" of the sheet behind the glass.

I have used duct tape a LOT and it would keep peeling off on the front edge due to the wind blowing across it.

So, I went another step. I used acrylic bathroom shower caulk (because I had it and it can easily be scraped from glass) and "glued" the sheet to the glass to be an extra step of adherence.

I laid out the magnetic sheet, aligned it, then I rolled back the edges in the driver's side to center. I then spread caulk on the GLASS ONLY. I rolled the sheet back into place and pressed it onto the caulk.

I repeated the process on the passenger side.

It happened to sprinkle that night, and I didn't see any new moisture in the truck.

It's been a week now, but it's been as low as 5°F, so there's no liquid water anyplace.

I did take the truck for a drive and the sheet stays on and down at 5°F and 80 MPH.
There is a bit less wind noise inside.

I'll get pictures later because it's been dark when I did this and it was dark when I took it for a drive.

The only comment from my wife was about the fact that the outside of the sheet is white, and my truck is black, so it is very obvious.

At this point, I don't care what it looks like, I want it to stop leaking, but I don't want to caulk it shut.

I have another sunroof assembly in my storage unit, but I need to go through, clean and lube it to make sure it is fully operational before I rip into the truck.

Total cost or the 10 ft sheet was about $40 on Amazon and was the same supplier that @HardyDanger stated. (Edit: Corrected Amazon pricing)

This idea is buying time for me.
It took me about 30 minutes to do this.

Magnetic Sheet - Amazon

Last edited:
Total cost or the 10 ft sheet was about $60 on Amazon and was the same supplier
I was able to find a 60” x24” piece for about half that cost on Amazon warehouse deals. 😎 otherwise my cut dims, and radius corners sound pretty darn close to yours. I didn’t do any taping/gluing on the leading edges since I’ve got the prinsu air dam on the rack.

I’ve had a piece of rubber backed carpet up there, covering the sunroof for the last two weeks, so if that didn’t blow away, doubt the magnetic vinyl will.

so far with the “hose” test was all good. Rains coming this week. Fingers crossed.

Meanwhile , my dobinson kit arrived. Yaaassss. IMS looks and feels like it means bizness! Rain will prob delay install this weekend. 😭

Prevents water ingress due to dried up/shrunk seals. It’s sticking to the metal around the sunroof. I’ve not done this or seen in person.
Yeah. Dead simple idea! Will snap some more pics, but was sorta waiting for the rain test later this week to see how it really performs. It’s a great California solution as it stops raining here like May through October...just peel it off for the summer and slap it back on in the winter.

IMG_0064.JPG

I’ve thought that would be the case too, but no.
Either in P or N the start will not even click
Try checking the ignition wire connector on the starter body. I thought my starter was bad because I had those symptoms but it turned out that connector was just dirty inside. Cleaned it out and truck cranked immediately. No problems since and that was months ago.

Try checking the ignition wire connector on the starter body. I thought my starter was bad because I had those symptoms but it turned out that connector was just dirty inside. Cleaned it out and truck cranked immediately. No problems since and that was months ago.
I'll try that once I get back home!
I have a Denso reman on the way just in case, but I can always return it!
Thanks!

This was something that plagued me after mine sat for only 2 weeks. Somehow the positive connection on the battery was a tiny bit loose (no clue how that happens from sitting). Tightned it back up and fired off without a hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom