Is the transmission a known issue on 2000 LX 470? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

2000 LX with 321k miles. No tranny fluid changes. No problems.

Btw, I think $12-13k for a low mileage 2000 LX is not the best deal in the world. The low mileage factor is deceptivley deceiving.

I have 265k on my 2000 with zero fluid changes. Bought at 48k miles. So I'm sure it's the original fluid. Fluid doesn't smell burnt or anything. It's deep red color is about the only indication it's old.

I have a 2000 and mine blew at 263k up in the NC mountains at Max Patch for those of you who know the area. Had a new one put in and shes running strong and just turned over 364k

You rust belt guys just keep on bringing trucks into your area. I'm enjoying the appreciation 😁

My last 100 before my LX was a 2000 LC with 245k-ish on it. Trans was perfect and original when it got sandwiched between a dump truck and a semi.

In my opinion, a low mileage 20 year old LX has sat around too long to be worth twice as much as a higher mileage LX for literally half the price. There is very little difference in a higher mileage maintained LX and a low mileage maintained LX.... other than the fluffy price tag. Low mileage trucks sitting around a lot scare me much more than those actually used.

So that higher price is due to a theory versus reality.

In my opinion, a low mileage 20 year old LX has sat around too long to be worth twice as much as a higher mileage LX for literally half the price. There is very little difference in a higher mileage maintained LX and a low mileage maintained LX.... other than the fluffy price tag. Low mileage trucks sitting around a lot scare me much more than those actually used.

So that higher price is due to a theory versus reality.

That's all well and good and 150 percent correct in terms of solid advice for an enthusiast looking to purchase one of these as the higher mileage units will not only be cheaper, they're likely to be better maintained and all the slew of crap that breaks, leaks or fails on these things from not being used (Sunroof, AHC) is likely to be in functional condition as a result. However, car values as a whole aren't impacted by what enthusiasts think is better, and in the automotive world all things being equal low mileage carries significant weight in terms of value. I remember reading a thread on here of a guy who paid 32 grand for one of these in the 30k mile range just a couple of years ago, and he knew he overpaid but wanted the low mileage.

Well I guess my normal (or maybe not) assumption is when buying a LC/LX......trying to get a good deal by giving as little money for the greatest value you can. When selling a LC/LX, then I'm with you that $12-13k... "It's a great deal..." But when buying anyone can easily "overpay" for their personal emotional reasons. Totally different planet. Kind of like thinking taxes should be higher.....write a check.

So my original point being....That's why I think in the automotive world all things being equal low mileage carries significant weight in terms of PRICE rather than "value"....in LC/LX only (that I know of). The book will automatically raise the price on ALL vehicles simply due to the low mileage but 10 years later tangible evidence suggests the value was little different regardless of miles in the amazing vehicles of which we speak. (in my experiences).

In the micro-cosm of Mud, every 80 has a bad head gasket, every MY 2000 100 has a bad tranny, etc. That said, of reported transmission failures here, the majority are '00 trucks. But, there's thousands of '00 trucks not on Mud that are just fine.

If it's been repaired then you know it won't be a potential issue in the future.
Exactly, tech forums exacerbate OCD maintenance and every niggle can be perceived as a fault or 'known issue' i have a 00 LX470 with 180K (300kms) and not one tranny issue. its an A442f like the 80s and im not sure why the 2000 would be any different to any other model with the 4 speed A442F ??

Exactly, tech forums exacerbate OCD maintenance and every niggle can be perceived as a fault or 'known issue' i have a 00 LX470 with 180K (300kms) and not one tranny issue. its an A442f like the 80s and im not sure why the 2000 would be any different to any other model with the 4 speed A442F ??

Trans in question isn't the A442F, so you should have nothing to worry about. Our trucks here in North America use the A343F from 1998-2002. The (far) better A750F replaced it from 2003-2007.

Last edited:
IIRC, the 2000 MY trans problem was a faulty thrust bearing from a bad batch that came from an OEM supplier. Any new/replaced transmissions should have the updated part. It's also worth it to check the actual build date on the door jamb sticker. Mine is a MY 2000 but the build date is in '99, outside of the affected dates.

I know this is an old post, but what month was your build date? And do you know what the affected dates are? I've looked all over for a date range, as I'm unsure if the 99lx transmissions were the same ones that crossed into the 00 MYs with build dates in 99.

I know this is an old post, but what month was your build date? And do you know what the affected dates are? I've looked all over for a date range, as I'm unsure if the 99lx transmissions were the same ones that crossed into the 00 MYs with build dates in 99.

You're worrying too much. The problem started with the 2000 model year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom