Wont get up to operating temp (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ned

Threads
My fj60 wont come up to operating temp unless I am idling, Once I start to move/drive then goes down to the edge of the white line in the gauge or just into the white area. The problem started last year when I had the radiator replaced, and the fan clutch checked as well for a overheating issue at idle. After getting it out of the shop It seems to warm up a little bit more on long hwy drives. This is good in 85-95 deg weather down here in South FL. For the past two days in the morning the heaters (front and rear) were blowing warm, not hot, even after a 7-8 min warm up in the driveway and 10 min drive. Down here in south FL the heater is rarely used. Periodically throughout the year I randomly turn on my heaters just to circulate the coolant through the heater coarse and its hot enough to cook an egg, but that's when the outside temp is 90 deg not 50 degs

What does this sound like to you guys, I was thinking it might be an incorrectly installed t-stat?

I wanted some other input from some other people first before I open up the cooling system to replace the t-stat. Any other Ideas?

My old 84 had a similar problem, turned out that the previous owner had replaced the thermostat and one of the seals was missing causing coolant to bypass. I put in a new thermostat with the correct seals and all was good.

Yep, thermostat isn't sealing. Take it easy on the housing bolts and use anti-sieze on installation.

1612480666299.png

that top gasket can deteriorate or just not get put in. I got a new T stat from the dealer and it didn't come with the gasket so I am sure other people don't realize this and don't put it in....then your truck never really warms up.

Also, to anybody whose truck fails to heat up like this (without a clear event where it stopped warming up normally), these are also classic symptoms of the thermostat failing, which is designed to stick open.

Thanks, guess I will order a new thermostat, I will post up after I put it in to lt you know if it solved the problem

Thanks, guess I will order a new thermostat, I will post up after I put it in to lt you know if it solved the problem
Tstat might be fine... other than missing the o ring on the top.

It will. You probably only need the gaskets. They may try to sell the thermostat without them.
Not try. They do. I had it happen to me w/ my first truck.

I had the same problem in my 62 and I found the thermostat housing itself had deteriorated on it's contact surface allowing water to bypass the thermostat.

Just out of curiosity is the toyota part better t

So Toyota sells the gaskets separately?
Yes gaskets are a separate part number. I would consider getting the two paper gaskets, the rubber seal in question and all the bolts from the dealer. Im not sure about aftermarket but from my experience I’d stick with Toyota

That’s a lot of RTV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom