Transmission thunk/odd shift (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 98 LC with 220k that I have owned for about 2 years, this is a spare car for us so it doesn't get driven a lot. I have a hitch/thump/odd shift from 1st to 2nd gear. It is odd and isnt always there, seems to be more noticeable at mid throttle. I have exchanged about 20 quarts of fluid and it all looks good, same with axles, CV's, driveshafts, and control arms. I feel like it may be a sticking shift solenoid as it doesn't flare, but instead drops RPMS holds for about a quarter second then thunk into gear. It only does it from 1st to 2nd and not from 2nd to 1st and all other gears are very smooth. I have searched and cant find other threads that have this similar issue. Any help or thoughts appreciated.

I did, i have several other cruisers and do them the same way.

@Jeppers Did you ever find a root cause on this? Similar symptoms for myself. Doing transmission fluid this weekend andtrying to prep secondary/tertiary troubleshooting items.

Never did, i think it may he a sticking shift solenoid, but have put another 5k miles on it and it still comes and goes but hasnt gotten worse.

i would suggest to drop the pan and clean all solenoids with electrical cleaner, better if you can disconnect them and clean, then air pressure them before reinstalling.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom