Builds The Oddball 80 - Middle East GX Renovation (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The new switch is completely different. The plates won’t interchange. It has a lock on it you have to push then you can engage. I’ll get a photo for you. I like it better except that it’s larger and did not clip in like the old Harrop/Arb style

I don't want a dial, just an *adult* switch. I also prefer being able to engage front locker without the rear locker. Dial doesn't allow that.
I have to agree. When I was wiring up my Harrops, I thought about how many were pushing the OEM rotory switch and how OEM it would look. That may have value for some, and even has built in safety for the newbies. I guess we're just rebels....☠️

This is the switch that came with my Eaton locker...

0E08C5CA-866E-4D5A-BB69-EBAA759E92F1.jpeg

^^^Just a little bit to fit the connector to the back of the switch. Ended up being just a little filing at the bottom of the dash. Hoping my front locker switch will fit fine in the slot next to this one.

^^^Just a little bit to fit the connector to the back of the switch. Ended up being just a little filing at the bottom of the dash. Hoping my front locker switch will fit fine in the slot next to this one.
My old switch clicked right in on the left side hole and was not really close on the right side with the Eaton switch. I had to get rid of all the lip all sides.

No biggie but FYI

Huge fan of matching switches. These are a solid option!

If anyone decides to go this route, I got my switches today and the insert card says 15% off your next order with the code: CH15
Just passing along some savings I didn't get 😶

If anyone decides to go this route, I got my switches today and the insert card says 15% off your next order with the code: CH15
Just passing along some savings I didn't get 😶
I have a discount as well that I didn't get to use.. 😅

Thanks Beno for getting me some pretty new flaps to protect the mighty 3FE from mud. Beautiful.
02C2BCC9-039B-43C6-B7C4-54B1FE7E6C7C.jpeg
0EFA27E7-6131-45BA-89A4-123A2C6DE0F3.jpeg

Thank you Tom Woods for a perfectly balanced driveshaft as well. Man this thing is silky smooth now.

17BE1D9B-98E4-44C4-9645-A0A7C06BDE8F.jpeg

88CDE158-3DC3-4995-A2FA-782934642AB5.jpeg

See...my prediction of it still vibrating post driveshaft r&r totally worked. You’re welcome. Break a leg. :hillbilly:
I might have burned it.

seriously.

I seriously would not had even drove on that jb welded not fully seated ujoint cap. It looked like something strait out of the trailer park

I seriously would not had even drove on that jb welded not fully seated ujoint cap. It looked like something strait out of the trailer park

Yeah well......you would have not broken your new ujoint cap trying to install it or installed both of them in backwards either.

Lol I was thinking this exact thing when I read it!

Thanks for following along. It’s been a wild ride. I’m really impressed with the 3FE/H150 combo. Very nimble. Great setup once it’s working properly
That's the key word when working properly.

Nolen, I started reading this thread in preparation for dipping my toes into the 80 series. I'm looking at buying an '91 FJ80, now after going through all 43 pages of this thread, I don't know if I should be excited or scared, or just back out altogether:devil:.

My experience pretty much has been only with FJ40 I took all the way down and rebuilt/re-sealed the engine. This thing though looks like a whole different demon. The one I'm looking at is cheap but needs a lot of work, so this thread gots me thinking. I do like the light that eventually you saw at the end and getting to enjoy it, but man you nearly died along the way. I think I will need to take it slow with this one, but I'm glad I somewhat know what I'm getting myself into, even though I can't always know.

I for sure could have done it cheaper and I could have not done some of the things I’ve done on it like lockers and such but at this point I’ve done everything but fix the rear main seal leak. That’s taken 180 hours documented labor and I’ve spent $23,000 over the purchase price. Clearly I’ve overspent on this turd but that’s what I do. Thanks for following along. I’m positive I would not have done all this for a 1991 US model with an auto.

I for sure could have done it cheaper and I could have not done some of the things I’ve done on it like lockers and such but at this point I’ve done everything but fix the rear main seal leak. That’s taken 180 hours documented labor and I’ve spent $23,000 over the purchase price. Clearly I’ve overspent on this turd but that’s what I do. Thanks for following along. I’m positive I would not have done all this for a 1991 US model with an auto.
I really appreciate how open you are about your “investments” in these rigs. I have not kept track of the number of hours or the $$$ I have spent on vehicles over the years as I enjoy the final results. It usually crosses my mind when I go to sell!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom