Just bought a 1998 and I think I'm doing this backwards... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

tincan45

Too old to know anything.
SILVER Star
Threads
So my buddy calls me and says his neighbor just put his land cruiser up for sale with a paper sign and wanted me to come look at it with him. He's been wanting a 200 series for a while, but having a hard time finding one within his budget. I just assumed he was looking at a 200, but it turned out to be a 100 (I have zero experience with the 100). We drove it around for a while and I could tell he was wanting something newer with more "tech" and creature comforts. Meanwhile, the more time I spend with this old 100, the more I begin to like it. He showed it to his wife and she was a hard "NO", especially when she saw the mileage. We chit-chatted with the old guy who has owned for the last 20 years and let him know we are probably not interested. He mentioned a price and, long story short, I bought it!

While all you guys are selling your 250K 100's to get in 200's, I'm buying my first 100 with 250K. I have to say, coming from a 200, I LOVE this truck. The driving position, the ride, the analog feel that is almost completely programed out of the 200 is fantastic. Don't get me wrong, I love the 200, but the 100 has an "IT" factor that is very hard to explain.

I have done nothing to this rig (so far). It's been serviced religiously and I have detailed receipts totaling $21,243 since it came off lease in 2001. Everything works, some parts are pretty worn but overall very impressed with how well it's help up.

Took a 300 mile road trip this weekend out to Seneca MO and grabbed a shot on the in-laws property.

IMG_9343.jpg

Nice truck. You serendipitously bought the best year. The 98-99s almost always have a lot of miles because they don't do a lot of complaining about the workload.

'99 with lockers might be better, but I have to agree. What can you guys tell be about the 4 speed? I only see trans flushes in service history and it sounds like a weak link on the 98-02. The 2UZ seems to have plenty of life left in it. What can I expect from the trans? I have noticed a very slight "clunk" from R>F, but that sounds like it's a driveline lube issue as I continue to get familiar with the 100.

Last edited:
'99 with lockers might be better, but I have to agree. What can you guys tell be about the 4 speed? I only see trans flushes in service history and it sounds like a weak link on the 98-02. The 2UZ seems to have plenty of life left in it. What can I expect from the trans? I have noticed a very slight "clunk" from R>F, but that sound like this is a driveline lube issue as I continue to get familiar with the 100.
Clunk issue can be lubing the driveshaft, bushings supporting the front diff, or axle to hub flange play from worn components. Try the driveshaft lubing first, then replace front diff bushings. OEM axles aren't cheap, so it may be best to wait to change those when they exhibit other issues.

Unless your tranny falls in the infamous batch that suffer from internal failures during the MY2000 run, the 4spd is quite reliable as long as you don't roast the tranny fluid often, and change it regularly.

'99 with lockers might be better, but I have to agree. What can you guys tell be about the 4 speed? I only see trans flushes in service history and it sounds like a weak link on the 98-02. The 2UZ seems to have plenty of life left in it. What can I expect from the trans? I have noticed a very slight "clunk" from R>F, but that sound like this is a driveline lube issue as I continue to get familiar with the 100.

A343F trans is very durable and has an excellent track record.

Drive-line clunk is typical, can be caused by several things but is NOT transmission related. Do a search and you will see the different remedies.

A343F trans is very durable and has an excellent track record.

Drive-line clunk is typical, can be caused by several things but is NOT transmission related. Do a search and you will see the different remedies.
Too late...already confused. Will lube the sh*t out of the prop shafts and see how it goes.

Too late...already confused. Will lube the sh*t out of the prop shafts and see how it goes.
Thick grease for the u-joints, thinner grease for the slip yokes. If you shove something like Lucas green into the slip yokes, you'll have fun getting a better grease in there next time. My rig reacted very poorly to Lucas green in the slip yokes FWIW.

Typically a single action (greasing prop-shafts) will not completely get rid of the 'clunk'.....but can help.

Greasing is worth a try since it probably needs it anyway, but drive flange wear and particularly front differential bushings are usually the greater culprit. Rarely is it anything like ring/pinion slop.

Ha! Thanks man, I'm already aware 100's crowd is way more fun. Will probably be taking the 200 to Ouray this summer, but I hear there might be a "little" 100 series gathering going on as well. Perhaps my latest purchase will at least buy me a spot at a campfire one night. 200 guys are asleep by 9:00pm anyway.

Ha! Thanks man, I'm already aware 100's crowd is way more fun. Will probably be taking the 200 to Ouray this summer, but I hear there might be a "little" 100 series gathering going on as well. Perhaps my latest purchase will at least buy me a spot at a campfire one night. 200 guys are asleep by 9:00pm anyway.
I've had a great time with mine. It can sometimes be an irritating pleasure to work on. Best advice is to restore/replace the consumable parts.

What can you guys tell be about the 4 speed? I only see trans flushes in service history and it sounds like a weak link on the 98-02. The 2UZ seems to have plenty of life left in it. What can I expect from the trans?
Only an *occasional* weak link, only on model year 2000. The 4spd is tough. If it ain’t failed by 200k miles then it probably never will. Just do ATF exchanges at regular intervals and it’ll be fine.

Sounds like you made a good purchase. Welcome to the 100. My wife likes the 200 but I like the 100.

I picked up a 1 owner, no accident, 250k mi 99 LX as a “spare vehicle” a little over a year ago. The excuse was “just a familiar spare vehicle for when one of our primary vehicles was in the shop” since my kid is too young to easily rent a vehicle.

The coronapocalypse gave us an excuse to start doing little projects, that fixed up the little flaws in the “around town beater”, well beyond our original plans.

The funny unexpected result of the purchase, is that the old high mileage 99 LX , is the vehicle that my son and I fight over who gets to drive it, and through some insanity it seems to have become our default road trip vehicle, even though it has more miles than each of our 100 series “daily drivers” combined.

We got our first 100 series in 1998, and after ~23 years there’s still just something about the 100 series that puts a smile on my face.

It took a CV axle rebuild, drive plates, and front differential bushings to get rid of our thunk/clunk. Just about every suspension bushing was also shot.

The funny unexpected result of the purchase, is that the old high mileage 99 LX , is the vehicle that my son and I fight over who gets to drive it, and through some insanity it seems to have become our default road trip vehicle, even though it has more miles than each of our 100 series “daily drivers” combined.

We got our first 100 series in 1998, and after ~23 years there’s still just something about the 100 series that puts a smile on my face.

^^^^^

Know exactly what you mean. There is just something about the classic design of it all that is endearing to me....both form and function.

I picked up a 1 owner, no accident, 250k mi 99 LX as a “spare vehicle” a little over a year ago. The excuse was “just a familiar spare vehicle for when one of our primary vehicles was in the shop” since my kid is too young to easily rent a vehicle.

The coronapocalypse gave us an excuse to start doing little projects, that fixed up the little flaws in the “around town beater”, well beyond our original plans.

It took a CV axle rebuild, drive plates, and front differential bushings to get rid of our thunk/clunk. Just about every suspension bushing was also shot.

Same scenario. Granted, I've only been in this old hundie for a week, but I can feel it sucking me in. The plan is to DD and keep the miles off the 200, but I've caught myself wanting to call Cristo and "just ask" how much bumpers and and sliders might put me back.

Nice find... 250k ain't bad especially if it was well maintained and everything is in working condition.
For the driveline clunk... there is a HUGE thread on it and there are multiple parts that it could be, but as the others have said it is definitely typical.
For your Slee bumpers, yeah I was looking at the Slee standard with one swing-out and that was going to be about $3500 plus s+h so if you add front in there you are probably looking at at least $5-$6k.

^^^^^

Know exactly what you mean. There is just something about the classic design of it all that is endearing to me....both form and function.

While I do love some of the “updates” in my son’s 2000 TLC, and my 2006 LX, the 99 LX is missing some of the electronic nannies (ATRAC/VSC), and gadgets (VGRS), that just gives it a little more character, and a bit of an 80 series feel.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom