Headgasket in Denver. Recommendations? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Rough idle, P0306, topping off coolant and the telltale oil cap. I live in Golden, CO. Planning to go to Slee unless you guys have some other recommendations?

75D7448A-AB1A-4855-857C-3EAB5EC139F8.jpeg

I'm on the east coast so no reco's for you on shops. Do you have an 8mm, 10mm, 12mm and 14mm socket? If so, watch OTRAMM's videos and dive in yourself!

Gunn automotive off federal blvd does tons of 1fz-fe heads, they did my valve seats, head service, decking of the head and block, etc etc. I recommend them to everyone.

Robbie, aka PowderPig, is your local guru if he has availability.

If you want to bring it to Greeley I have a good shop. Mander auto. I had him do a load of stuff, head gasket, APR stud kit, EGR delete, even had him set my 5.29's.

Ben is back in Colorado, setting up a shop on the south side of Denver. He might have time available.

Mountain High Performance also does a lot of 1FZ heads. I think robbie uses them.

Slee has been booked out 2-3 months for service lately. I imagine Robbie is probably pretty booked up, but worth the wait if you don't have to drive the 80 in the meantime.

Also when I recently called Slee to see what they would charge for a top end tune up they told me they are now mostly focused on vehicle builds and less on service. I was told to expect a 6 month wait for engine work on my 80.

They reccomended Japanese Auto Service in wheat ridge. I believe they have an LC tech who used to work with Slee and is very familiar with the 1FZ.

Also when I recently called Slee to see what they would charge for a top end tune up they told me they are now mostly focused on vehicle builds and less on service. I was told to expect a 6 month wait for engine work on my 80.

They reccomended Japanese Auto Service in wheat ridge. I believe they have an LC tech who used to work with Slee and is very familiar with the 1FZ.

I wonder if the wait time would be any less if no pandemic.

Tag just in case I ever need have the need. How much are you expecting to spend?

A legit cruiser shop in CA told me to estimate anywhere from $12-15K for a quality rebuild. I'm presuming $15K+ range with a new OEM short block + head. Not bad.

I have experience with Japanese Auto Service, and it's not particularly positive. I believe their LC mechanic is skilled, but without getting into too much detail, the front office is deceptive and will try to take you to the cleaners. For someone without any mechanical knowledge or healthy skepticism of shops in general, it would be a fraught place to take your truck. Had to go in back to confirm they were BSing me on a few items.

I have experience with Japanese Auto Service, and it's not particularly positive. I believe their LC mechanic is skilled, but without getting into too much detail, the front office is deceptive and will try to take you to the cleaners. For someone without any mechanical knowledge or healthy skepticism of shops in general, it would be a fraught place to take your truck. Had to go in back to confirm they were BSing me on a few items.
Good to know. I will be looking for a local shop to do a rebuild for me if I do not have access to a garage in the next few years and I will cross them off the list.

I vote for Ben! He is up and running in Castle Rock. Did some work on my 80 and GX, and he is very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom