Builds Car souq pickup (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Been watching your thread, great stuff. Ok, where did you get this headliner? I’ve been looking for that specific pattern but unable to find it anywhere - PN always says NLA, or anything similar just isn’t close enough to oem for my liking.

Part number 6331190K0308 on Partsouq.com. $94.74 Shows available.

Merry Christmas everyone. Had to share the wrapping paper my wife used this year on my gifts.

48C31D6A-4455-4289-B6DA-21716FF0E00F.jpeg

Merry Christmas everyone. Today I just drove the 77 to my sister’s house in Kerrville, TX

Merry Christmas everyone. Today I just drove the 77 to my sister’s house in Kerrville, TX

View attachment 2535005
Very pretty truck, FJ73Texas. Are those 15 or 16 inch crosshatch rims? I found 4, and only 4, white rims in this style, 16" in a scrap yard in Dubai last year. I've seen quite a number of 15" in the US from other Toyo trucks.

Very pretty truck, FJ73Texas. Are those 15 or 16 inch crosshatch rims? I found 4, and only 4, white rims in this style, 16" in a scrap yard in Dubai last year. I've seen quite a number of 15" in the US from other Toyo trucks.

The style of the rim appears to come on many Toyota models in two different sizes (15" or 16" only) and various offset specs. In my case, they are 15X7, -20 offset.

They have grown on me too so they are staying for now.

As previously mentioned, my pickup didn't come with an auxiliary tank (which is fine with me) but that means it also didn't have a bed mounted spare tire, which is not so fine with me. All of the parts for the spare tire bracket are available, some more than others, except for 51904-90K01 which is the bracket for 6 lug rims that goes over the rim and onto the bolt assembly. That part is truly unobtanium and I have seen in several other threads that everyone without one just builds a bracket. So after searching the world over for new or used I finally resigned myself to fabricating said bracket. My initial thought was it could be easily done out of shallow U channel but then it occurred to me that perhaps the currently quite obtainable 5 lug bracket could be repurposed.

Well after doing a little math it appeared to have enough material so I ordered one. $15 part which I then set out to modify. Here's the final result:

FA7FACD1-C854-42A3-9B6A-8B8EE70A37A6.jpeg

BC1D06C5-F460-4A47-82AD-702F9499E7AD.jpeg

Last edited:
I appreciate that this is a very minor part and that almost anything would work but I often have a lot of free time over here and need something to keep my mind occupied. So just in case anyone wants to fabricate one; here is how to proceed. First lay out the dimensions on paper and mark the cut lines based on the calculated geometry. Then transpose the cut lines onto the part which is not as easy as just laying it out on flat tape since you are going from 2D to 3D - but it isn't that difficult either.

Then proceed to cut the small triangle first which you will flip and repurpose on the other side; then cut the large triangle and finally make the short horizontal cut (right side as oriented in these photos). Push the ends from the large triangle together, insert the small triangle and you are almost there.

At this point most of you will just grab your TIG rig and get to it without additional expense. I am not so lucky with equipment or skills at the moment so I actually paid a machine shop $85 to weld it up for me. They also redrilled the center hole to 20mm. I had the part with me in the US over Christmas so that is a US labor rate. I now have $100 invested in what should be a $20 part - not the first time!

Finally just do a bit of grinding and painting and we're done. Now to just move forward with nutserts and actually get the bracket mounted in the bed. Also need to get another tire mounted on the new spare rim.

5998E823-C936-421B-9E70-F5AE9D4DBBC4.jpeg

D8E593FA-A7A4-4034-883B-05D87820DDE3.jpeg

B6B6DBB0-9C72-4FAD-8841-8AC1F1957FB2.jpeg

Last edited:
way fancy. hell, mine is just a piece of metal that seems to work. looking great.

I appreciate that this is a very minor part and that almost anything would work but I often have a lot of free time over here and need something to keep my mind occupied. So just in case anyone wants to fabricate one; here is how to proceed. First lay out the dimensions on paper and mark the cut lines based on the calculated geometry. Then transpose the cut lines onto the part which is not as easy as just laying it out on flat tape since you are going from 2D to 3D - but it isn't that difficult either.

Then proceed to cut the small triangle first which you will flip and repurpose on the other side; then cut the large triangle and finally make the short horizontal cut (right side as oriented in these photos). Push the ends from the large triangle together, insert the small triangle and you are almost there.

At this point most of you will just grab your TIG rig and get to it without additional expense. I am not so lucky with equipment or skills at the moment so I actually paid a machine shop $85 to weld it up for me. They also redrilled the center hole to 20mm. I had the part with me in the US over Christmas so that is a US labor rate. I now have $100 invested in what should be a $20 part - not the first time!

Finally just do a bit of grinding and painting and we're done. Now to just move forward with nutserts and actually get the bracket mounted in the bed. Also need to get another tire mounted on the new spare rim.

View attachment 2553668

View attachment 2553669

View attachment 2553674
Can’t remember but did your bed have the factory chocks?

Can’t remember but did your bed have the factory chocks?
No but the plastic bedliner has them built in. I also bought the metal ones to tack weld in if it looks like I need them. Bedliner "chocks" go over those but I think just the bedliner ones will be plenty.

I don't have the welded in captive nuts for the bracket or pads either. Having to drill and install rivet nuts.

WDE's work really is exemplary. I just went out and looked at Golden Boy, a 91, and this is what it looks like:
1610768632337.png

I think this must be the original wing nut and keeper. The unit attached to the back of the bed is new (you can see the plastic bushing). I found complete setups at a salvage yard in Sharjah and bought things like the chains for the tailgate, a new (crappy) bumper, and so on.

Re the bed itself, I was not able to find a perfect bedliner. We kind of hacked it in the dead of night in Abu Dhabi to make it fit. Now that Golden Boy is in the US, where it rains, I need to seal this up:
1610768841031.png

Water is already in there.

Everything on WDE's truck is so pretty. I'm afraid Golden Boy shows his age...

Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread but a lot of people look here. I'm just in the process of registering Golden Boy in Virginia and need an inspection and suddenly the windshield wipers don't work. Fuse checks out. I'm pretty sure they worked when the truck left Dubai. Any suggestions for what to try in the morning? Again apologies, but I'm in a bit of a spot because the DMV works by appointment only now (COVID) and if I miss my slot on Tuesday, could be a month before I get another try.

@John Young thanks for posting the photo. I would say my fabrication is a passable replica. Not sure why I couldn't find one of these used. I went to the wrecker yard in Riyadh twice with no luck and emailed/phoned used part shops in Australia and South Africa without any luck.

I had a problem with my windshield wipers not working occasionally as well. I replaced the wiper, turn signal, light stalk and that did not fix the problem. Turns out it was the relay connection. I cleaned the connectors and reconnected the harness and haven't had an issue since. The relay is in the drivers side kick panel about mid door height (just in front of the door). It is mounted with the relay up and the harness connector on the bottom. It's not too difficult to get to and you don't need to remove any panels to get to it. I would try wiggling that a few times and see if you can get them to work. If so then unplug it and spray some contact cleaner on the connectors. Good luck!

I had a problem with my windshield wipers not working occasionally as well. I replaced the wiper, turn signal, light stalk and that did not fix the problem. Turns out it was the relay connection. I cleaned the connectors and reconnected the harness and haven't had an issue since. The relay is in the drivers side kick panel about mid door height (just in front of the door). It is mounted with the relay up and the harness connector on the bottom. It's not too difficult to get to and you don't need to remove any panels to get to it. I would try wiggling that a few times and see if you can get them to work. If so then unplug it and spray some contact cleaner on the connectors. Good luck!
Thanks bud! I will go out and look now. Just went outside looking for it on the opposite side because of this diagram from RM183.
1610772691696.png

Are you thinking of the wiper lock relay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom