Help me choose between Wildpeak A/T3W, Terra Grappler, KO2, and Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As posted elsewhere, I'll be changing to LT305/65/R18 tires soon. There are 4 tires available in this size. All of them are load E all terrain tires.

1. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 124/121R E (33.6x12.2; 61 lbs)
  2. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 124/121S E (33.6x12.2; 59 lbs)
  3. BFG KO2 124/121R W (33.5x12.2; 63 lbs)
  4. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (33.6x12; 67 lbs)

I'm looking for help to narrow down my choice from more experienced members who've used more than one of these tires, albeit in other sizes, most likely. For certain technical reasons that I discuss in other threads, my priority in choosing between these tires is to minimize vibration on pavement and to maximize small bump absorption--recognizing, of course, that these are load E and will all be inherently stiff relative to P-metric tires. Let's please not turn this into a "if-that's-your-goal, why-don't-you-get-P-metric tires" thread.

Any suggestions/insights are appreciated!

Last edited:
Choose between the tires... based on what criteria? What use case?

If it's literally a question of ONLY minimizing vibrations/road feel, then go for the softest compound, which I'd wager would be the KO2s.

Thank you, @eatSleepWoof . There are obviously more considerations going into choice of tire, but I'm trying to keep the final decision maker between these 4 tires simple. So yes, any vibration that could be transmitted to the cabin interior, along with small bump absorption.

The KO2 would be best for your purposes.

As posted elsewhere, I'll be changing to LT305/65/R18 tires soon. There are 4 tires available in this size. All of them are load E all terrain tires.

1. Nitto Terra Grappler G2 124/121R E (33.6x12.2; 61 lbs)
  2. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT 124/121S E (33.6x12.2; 59 lbs)
  3. BFG KO2 124/121R W (33.5x12.2; 63 lbs)
  4. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W (33.6x12; 67 lbs)

I'm looking for help to narrow down my choice from more experienced members who've used more than one of these tires, albeit in other sizes, most likely. For certain technical reasons that I discuss in other threads, my priority in choosing between these tires is to minimize vibration on pavement and to maximize small bump absorption--recognizing, of course, that these are load E and will all be inherently stiff relative to P-metric tires. Let's please not turn this into a "if-that's-your-goal, why-don't-you-get-P-metric tires" thread.

Any suggestions/insights are appreciated!

Please note that the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W LT305/65R18 tire is a Load Range F tire, not Load Range E.

HTH

@BloggerL

Just an opinion.

You would like good ride characteristics. Weight doesn’t help

Option 4 out

I see you live in NH. Snow is a real concern.

Option 1 is out

Esthetics matter.

Option 2 out

Not a BFG fan boy but I’ve had 6 sets between me and the wife. I run the Nitto Ridge Grappler and love them. While they are good in snow, they don’t hook up quite as well as my wife’s BFG ko2s in NE icy conditions
*(apples to apples comparison as we both drive 100 series and run 285 width 35” tires)

To perhaps simplify the decision, I can say you don't want 1. NTG. This tire is old. Very old. The G2 compound came out in 2014. Its design is older than that with the original NTG created sometime around 2009. I had this tire on my 100-series, and while it was good in its time, it's nowhere near competitive with the more recently designed tires on your list.

I'd recommend the Falkens, yes they are heavy, but they have a ton of tread depth, which adds weight. They are also true to size, which again adds weight.

BFGs run small, and are the worst ice and rain performing AT I have ever owned. The Falken have been the best.

Also consider the new Toyo ATIII. Have not run them yet, but they are getting good reviews. Slightly lighter than the Falken.

gaijin is correct...load range F: https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeaka/t3w-tire

Click "sizes and specs".

And out of your 4 choices, only 1 has 3-ply sidewall that is proven to help prevent sidewall punctures....
@Madtiger @gaijin

Strange. This tire appears to come in both load E and load F, with only load F listed on the manufacturer's website but load E listed as well on retail outlets. Here's the load E at one retailer: Falken WildPeak AT3W LT305/65R18(33.6x12R18) | & 28037122 | Custom Offsets - https://www.customwheeloffset.com/buy-wheel-offset2/28037122/falken-wildpeak-at3w-lt305-65r18-tires

@Madtiger @gaijin

Strange. This tire appears to come in both load E and load F, with only load F listed on the manufacturer's website but load E listed as well on retail outlets. Here's the load E at one retailer: Falken WildPeak AT3W LT305/65R18(33.6x12R18) | & 28037122 | Custom Offsets - https://www.customwheeloffset.com/buy-wheel-offset2/28037122/falken-wildpeak-at3w-lt305-65r18-tires
I would believe the horse’s mouth rather than random 3rd party with data being entered by a pimple-popping high school sloth.

It CAME in E, it COMES in F? Check the Falken model number and you can find a few places with E, but that model number isn’t listed online on Falkens site? So is it an older model?

I have gone with the Goodyear duratrac twice now and love them, best tire for snow by a mile and look better than the tires mentioned above

My most recent purchase last month from DTD (had to wait for #4)

Last set of KO2's only went 37K miles

Truck is '02 Chev 2500HD 4x4 crew

Had to see what the Falkin WP3 buzz was all about-------;)

These are LT285-75x16's....have only ran 200 miles so far

Run smooth & true at 75 + tread is very meaty at 19/32"

So far...I like 'em....updates later...priced at $229 before the rebates then

My other tire choice is the Goodyear Ultra Terrains (running 2 sets currently)

iC6L5y2.jpg

My experience with the Falken's is that they are a solid all around tire. Aggressive, with the deepest tread, meaty sidewall lugs, nice thick rim protector lip, excellent performance off-road, all while keep great road manners and NVH. In my 50k miles, I have yet to come across a situation where they didn't perform and they're well rounded. Well rounded makes them sound average in everything, but they were exceptional in everything. Definitely head over heals better than my previous experience with NTGs.

My brother put KO2s on my 100-series. I won't give this tire a pass at least for me, on account of relatively lesser road manners with a louder and firmer ride than is my preference, as that's where I spend 98% of my time. It may suit others that prioritize it's off-road capabilities. It's arguable but I believe some of the other tires can match or exceed its abilities off-road too while maintaining good NVH on-road. With much better rain and snow performance.

I have Toyo AT3s now. Superb tire and great all-rounder. I haven't taken this tire through snow or heavy rain yet, but tests suggest it should be excellent in those areas. On-road performance is really really good with great NVH, perhaps a tick better than the Falken's. Off-road compliance and traction have been great. They are on the lighter end of the spectrum, but you also get less. Obvious in things like less aggressive sidewall lugs, no rim protector lip. I can't help to miss the Falken's a bit as they were just that much more aggressive of a tire with more meat and substance, while still keeping great NVH. This tire and the Falken are to me what defines a great AT tires - great in all terrain, with little to no weak spots.

That said, I didn't comment on these tires earlier as the fitment is not a slam dunk given your sizing. While I found the Falken's to ride great in Load Range E, not sure what F would do, and perhaps you can find them in a Load Range E model? Toyo ATIIIs minimum rim width is 9", rather than 8.5" like the others, and that may be too far off spec?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom