What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (32 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Upgraded my side view mirrors to an OEM set I picked up from @Racer65, not a huge mod but a nice touch that cleans up the look of the 40 just a bit.

9AAA7588-AEE8-4703-8965-8D74283DA29F.jpeg

FCBA922B-5D04-49F6-A7A3-EED7E9C4333B.jpeg

9E4F9BAA-2175-43B9-9FB8-A33C528D1685.jpeg

I need to get out there sometime before I leave this life. What beautiful pictures. What year build is your 74?
I finished mine up in 2017, sort of.

Are they ever really "finished"?

Well - I'm gonna start my rebuild ! ! !

. . . (it's been years. And then more than that years).

Story goes, I've been working overly diligently at UPS as of late (for the last slew of months) to help make ends meet (and to keep my head facing forward). And have had ZERO time for anything else. Picture this : up until Christmas, have been working 15 to 19 hours/day, times six days/week, with up to 78.5 hours of box moving labor hours per week (as typical).

Have been literally working six days/week since last April - and am EXHAUSTED !!!

So. . . . I'm READY to give LOVE to my completely, completely, completely dissembled 1979 FJ40.

The good news is - I spoke with the next door neighbor this afternoon : he kindly gave me a **Green Light** to paint the vehicle within my 3-car garage (which faces his home & the screened porch his wife & children frequent (during the warmer portions of the year, of course). This was a HUGE mile stone for me, as our HOA (if given ANY SORT of whift of a "smell of things") . . . will obviously shut "my little operation" down In A Heartbeat ;(

And so . . . a couple things must now happen, now that the UPS peak season is behind me, and that I'm **itching to start** work on the 40 more so than with fleas racing all over me :

1) I must clean & prepare the 3-car garage for the work (right now, I've all kinds of stuff all over the place). Things will need to be cleaned-up & organized. Am gonna knock this out over the next couple days.

2) I must fabricate a rotisserie for the vehicle's excellent condition but totally barren tub. Am believing I'll go ahead and fabricate one out of wood, probably 6x6, 4x6, and 4x4's, etc. And I'll use thick steel pipe & steel flanges for the portion of the rotisserie that rotates the tub. . . . If not, I'll just buy a real one off eBay. And then resell it once finished with it.

3) I must fabricate both a paint booth and that of an exhaust system - to move the paint smell out of the house, to the backyard of the house, and then to dampen that with a water misting hose.

@GA Architect will inspect my paint booth set up. He's expensive though. He'll cost two beers :cool:

4) I must create/install a 220v circuit within the circuit breaker fuse box that I can hook-up & utilize my 60 gallon air compressor (a used one off Craig's List that I've not yet been able to power-up).

5) I must create air compressor lines to the fabricated paint booth, via PVC piping, and install at least one, if not two water traps, that I can actually utilize the air compressor for the paint guns - and somehow make things look "good."

Anyway . . . I WANT this thing BUILT & DRIVABLE !!!!! . . . and am here to say "Now's The Time !!" ;)

Attached here is my image of this year's "Christmas Star," which of course was that of the conjunction of Jupiter & Saturn on 21 December, 2020. This image is NOT from a telescope, but via one of my Nikon D850 cameras, in its DX crop mode; and that of my 600mm f/4 lens (which had a 1.4x teleconverter attached). In the image, we can see at least four of Jupiter's moons. They are in a straight line, at an approximate 60 deg angle to the planet (per the camera's perspective), with two moons on each side of the planet. And I'm believing I can make out at least three of Saturn's moons, which are not in line, and are of course far less apparent in this image.

msp_MarcStPierre-Copyright2020_Jupiter&SaturnConjunction_20-1221sm.jpg

Cheers y'all !!

~Skydogger

Last edited:
Set the truck on jack stands and cleaned all the funk out from underneath. Then gave her a proper wash (first real wash in 20 years). Cleaned all the glass, wiped the whole truck down in Wizards Mist N Shine. After that I drove a few miles to dry it out and get some fresh fuel. Checked the oil, tightened the belt, greased the front end, and sprayed some fluid film on a few troubled areas.

20201228_140614.jpg

20201228_140634.jpg

20201228_164204.jpg

20201228_173021.jpg

received_744523346466020.jpeg

My wife and 4yo daughter made cookies for my birthday. As close to spring green as she could get. Then cadet blue, since that’s what color she wants the next one to be. And pink, because my daughter wants a pink one with purple seats and a rainbow engine. She wasn’t a fan of the plain ol black the 1F just got this weekend.
E86F8578-F5B5-4F74-A1C3-A81B8C648B06.jpeg
9BC6DACE-CF8F-4B97-AA39-5678D69FEBBD.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom