Dexron III or Toyota WS ATF transmission fluid. What ATF are you using? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you look on a can of Toyota WS ATF. You'll see it's made by Mobil.

I spoke with Mobil, as I love the Mobil MV ATF synthetic, which I use in Toyota power steering and 98-02 100 series transmissions. They said do not use in Toyota's calling for WS, it's not approved. I asked if they had a synthetic WS approved ATF. They said yes! But not sold in USA. So I stick with WS only in 04 up transmissions.

03 is the big ?, which calls for T-IV. Which until this video I did not know it is not compatible with Dexron III. It was to be backward compatible with all T, making Dexron I, II, III compatible???

Last edited:
Update to temperature WS ATF is check at. 2004 to 2008 This means we add more fluid than was previously used as they now gives a lower temp. It also means tripping dash lights to get indication in temp range will not work.
Current recommendation 97F to 115F, previous; was 115F to 130F
T-SB-0129-08 July 2008 Toyota Technical Service Bulletin.
Transmossion TBS 97 - 115.JPG

I have a 2005 LX470. Anybody use Amsoil ATF. It lists as a replacement for Toyota WS. I am due for a ATF fluid exchange and am considering using this as replacement and doing changes every 100k mi.

Amsoil Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.

APPLICATIONS
AMSOIL Signature Series Fuel-Efficient Synthetic ATF is recommended for transmissions and other applications that require any of the following specifications:

Ford MERCON* LV, SP; GM DEXRON* VI, DEXRON* HP; Aisin-Warner AW-1; BMW 83 22 0 142 516, 83 22 2 152 426, Dsih 6p805; Honda DW-1*; Hyundai/Kia SP-IV, SPH-IV, SP-IV-RR, NSW-9638, SP4-M; JASO 1A-LV; JWS 3324; Chrysler Mopar* P/N 68157995A, SP-IV; Mercedes-Benz 236.12, 236.14, 236.15, 236.41; Mitsubishi SP-IV, ATF J3, ATF-PA; Nissan Matic-S, Matic-W; Saab 93 165 147; Shell M-1375.4, M-1375.5, M-1375.6, M-L 12108; Toyota WS; Volkswagen/Audi G 055 005, G 055 162, G 060 162 ,G 052 540; Volvo 31256774, ZF S671 090 255
ATL.jpg
I have the rig 05 LX470. Now I’m looking for drain n full process. What did you end of using ? And how is it working out for you ?

For both applications, im using Kendall/Phillips company multi vehicle "high viscosity" fluid. :eek:

I have the rig 05 LX470. Now I’m looking for drain n full process. What did you end of using ? And how is it working out for you ?

I just had a drain and refill done with amsoil low viscosity which is compatible with toyota ws. I am going to work on a progressive switch to amsoil low viscosity. The transmission shop that i went to is a very good transmission shop and they recommended amsoil as well with only doing initially a pan drop and clean with new gasket and then just refill what we lost, then just a drain and fill in a year for a couple years. basically a drain of the pan, refill yearly for a couple yrs to slowly work on getting amsoil in the system. They said amsoil will mix fine with the fluid without issue. They also stated that they would be very cautious on newer transmissions doing a more aggressive flush as a lot of transmissions have valves that do not like flushes and it is better to slowly transition the fluid over. I have a 2005 LX470. I have been driving after the fluid change for 2-3 wks without any issue, trans temps on scangauge are fine without issue. Hope that helps.

I just had a drain and refill done with amsoil low viscosity which is compatible with toyota ws. I am going to work on a progressive switch to amsoil low viscosity. The transmission shop that i went to is a very good transmission shop and they recommended amsoil as well with only doing initially a pan drop and clean with new gasket and then just refill what we lost, then just a drain and fill in a year for a couple years. basically a drain of the pan, refill yearly for a couple yrs to slowly work on getting amsoil in the system. They said amsoil will mix fine with the fluid without issue. They also stated that they would be very cautious on newer transmissions doing a more aggressive flush as a lot of transmissions have valves that do not like flushes and it is better to slowly transition the fluid over. I have a 2005 LX470. I have been driving after the fluid change for 2-3 wks without any issue, trans temps on scangauge are fine without issue. Hope that helps.
Great to hear back someone who owns 05lx470. Thanks for the reply. Btw where do you get your new gasket. Do you have part number that I can order. Thanks bud. Appreciate your help.

Great to hear back someone who owns 05lx470. Thanks for the reply. Btw where do you get your new gasket. Do you have part number that I can order. Thanks bud. Appreciate your help.
I got it a couple years ago from Onur. I cannot remember for sure what the part number was. i procrastinated for 2 yrs before having trans fluid done. when they dropped the pan i had them just clean and replace the filter like Onur recommended. Should be available online i bet.

I've found that plain old Walmart ATF to be one of the remaining Dexron II, III, Mercon fluids still on the market. I have successfully used it for initially cleaning up very dirty and abused Toyota and Nissan automatic transmissions with over 200,000 miles from 1995-1999 that were originally designed to run Dex II-III. After I get the transmission fluid cleaned up, then I switch to Maxlife for the long haul.

1583070553563.png

1583071077849.png

Just exchanged the ATF on my 2001 - if you’re hesitant on this I would say go for it! Probably the easiest service you’ll do on your LC. On ramps, I got exactly 4 qts when I drained the pan. Connected a 3/8” clear line (via barb in seen in pic) to the hose coming out of the bottom of the tranny cooler because it was easier to get off than the one near the coolant overflow as demonstrated by @2001LC - otherwise followed his instructions on Page 2 of this thread. Worked out very well. Fluid was in ok shape without having being changed in a good while. Took 12 qts out and added 12 qts Mobil 1 ATF back in, fluid showing a little low on the dipstick after filling (at Cool mark after driving for a few minutes) - going to go on a longer drive today than I had time for yesterday and check it again. (Pics are a little out of order, sorry)

B11E6B0F-CE4D-4FD1-AFDC-25FC7A5E6743.jpeg

75E9BF13-8B12-49E1-8BA4-3A1F7BED4CDF.jpeg

D3F1C8CA-E1AC-49FB-BC2C-109FB5CDF130.jpeg

3CFEFAFB-AE4B-4286-A2D2-C7D6C3D0CF09.jpeg

57EE0681-4C9A-430F-9B14-EA68A54B48D2.jpeg

Last edited:
Hey all.

Planning to do a ATF flush/fill on my 2006 LX470 soon and would love some input before ordering. From what I've read, the safe-bet is to use genuine WS-ATF fluid, but I'd love to use a quality synthetic if possible (and not detrimental).

Recently came across a synthetic WS ATF offering which looks promising. It appears to be compatible with the 5-speed (A750F), flows well at lower-temperatures and seems somewhat reasonably priced.

RAVENOL T-WS Lifetime Full Synthetic
Manufacturer website
Amazon product page

RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime is an ATF based on the latest technology of the HC/HT hydrocrack oils and PAO. Because of the special formulation the durability is twice the time than a comparable Aisin ATF oil. Compatible with replacement for the latest transmission oil specifications for sequential automatic transmissions of Aisin Warner.
  • Provides phenomenal resistance to lubrication failure under hard operating conditions with better durability allowing for longer ATF change intervals
  • Excellent resistance to oil sludge and deposit accumulation with superior corrosion protection and better foaming resistance allowing for smooth shifting operation
  • Maintains optimal flow behaviour at cold temperatures whilst providing constant friction optimization characteristics
Application Notes
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime is recommended for sequential automatic transmissions of Toyota and Aisin Warner.
LEXUS / TOYOTA : AB60F, A750E(F), U341E(F), U140E(F), U250E, U241E, U151E(F), U340E.

Personally, and this is based on my experience with a 4WD Highlander which is admittedly a totally different drive train- I used Valvoline Synthetic to replace the ATF, and I got an issue with a rough low end gear change that had not been present before. After that I tried Amsoil, same thing. Finally, I went back to Toyota T-IV, and the issue went away.

A thorough google search showed that switching ATF away from OEM Toyota caused the same problems in other Highlanders.

After the time and efforts figuring that out, I decided to always use OEM Toyota ATF on my projects from now on. Apparently, it really does matter. At least on Highlander’s. But you can bet going forward, I treated my Land Cruiser the same way.

Edit: So just to clarify, I use Toyota WS in my Land Cruiser.

Thanks very much for your input on this. Definitely wary of putting any ATF in there which isn't specifically formulated for it.

I thought most of the current synthetic ATF's aren't explicitly WS compatible?
The T-WS fluid seems to be an exception to that rule. The manufacturer also states compatibility with the LX/LC 5-speed transmission.

Thanks very much for your input on this. Definitely wary of putting any ATF in there which isn't specifically formulated for it.

I thought most of the current synthetic ATF's aren't explicitly WS compatible?
The T-WS fluid seems to be an exception to that rule. The manufacturer also states compatibility with the LX/LC 5-speed transmission.

I went through the same phase. The issue isn’t what the manufacturer claims. They all claim compatibility. Compatibility with everything. For example, Is an off brand headlight bulb compatible with your headlamp? Sure, but does that guarantee it will perform as well as a better brand one? Amazon is full of headlights that claim compatibility and may even perform ok, but don’t perform nearly as well as well known brand name. (Off topic: In the case of projector lights, it often also holds true, OEM projector headlights are brighter as longer lasting that most ‘compatible’ aftermarket ones. And they cost $$$ for it.)

Many of these ATF are multi-purpose, jack of all trade “magical synthetic” formulations that somehow work in all transmissions. When you read the back, you see all the specs it claims to do well. And to a point, they may in fact get the job done.

But for my LC, I’d prefer the ONE ATF that was designed for this particular transmission, instead of some multi-purpose, jack of all trades, master of none, product. And knowing Toyota, they wouldn’t skimp. That’s what I learned on the Highlander.

Not sure I'd describe it as a phase.. This particular ATF hasn't been mentioned on mud before (I searched for and can't find any mention of this Ravenol T-WS ATF).

I get what your saying about the pitfalls of searching for the next "magical" thing. I've read a bunch of posts on this subject, and fully understand the merits in sticking with what's proven to work. ...that said, there's no saying that things can't change tomorrow.

This T-WS ATF certainly doesn't seem multi-purpose:

Application Notes
RAVENOL ATF T-WS Lifetime is recommended for sequential automatic transmissions of Toyota and Aisin Warner.​

For the A750 5spd a good option in place of Toyota WS is AISIN ATF-0WS. Stated as the OE formula. Stated as fully synthetic (but I assume all ATF is synthetic). I've used it and it has worked fine. If you can't find Toyota WS for less than $7.00 a quart, then the AISIN ATF-0WS is $6.00 a quart (+shipping) on RA. More Information for AISIN ATF0WS

Ravenol has a history of being out of claimed spec. The Russian Oil Club found it a few years back, and Ravenol went to court and an injuction or two were issued. The ROC couldn't publish UOAs on Ravenol, they were told to do and not to do a few things on top of that.... Anyway, in Germany Ravenol didn't sell well for a variety of reasons and has never been perceived as a premium mfg there. It's a meh brand there. I'd be cautious. If I were to go with an off-brand, I'd pick Eneos or Idemitsu for this one. But I am sticking with the Toyota.
Claims that someone is running this or that funny fluid with everything being OK for the past 30k miles don't touch my heart. These are lifetime vehicles, and we are looking to get millions of miles out of them. Show me a statistically and mechanically valid array of time-series data and I am all ears. And that is what Toyota had done for us at a cosniderable cost to them.

{ROC takes my vote in this case as they have some serious scientists and engineers on board}

KISS:
98-02 Mobil 1 MV full syn ATF.
03 Toyota T-IV
04- Toyota WS

In speaking with Local Dealership, they use:
98-02 Dexron III. In transmission with issues such as running hot they use Mobil One ATF
03- Bulk Valvoline, as it's much cheaper than WS.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom