How to value it to sell it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey fellas,
I am interested in putting my 2002 LX470 up for sale, but have no clue where to start from a valuation perspective.
Here is a list of some major things:
330k miles
6/2/19 -steprail delete
10/10/19 replace rear passenger AHC hose that had a seeping leak
11/2019-Added tow package and 4 pin connector
11/2019- New exhaust
12/18/19-Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, hydraulic tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, tensioner bearing, idler bearing, serpentine belt, fan bracket, upper/lower radiator hoses, Toyota red fluid, heater T's, radiator cap.
12/2019- Synthetic oil change. Valvoline Syntec.
Roof rack added May 2020.
Took out carpet and detail cleaned May 2020.
1/12/20- new Ridies front leather with armrest and center console.
1/15/20- added floormats
6/8/20- Changed in cabin air filters and Mobil1 Synthetic oil change
6/6/20- Kilmatz entire floor and walls.
6/12/20- Nav-Delete to LC controls
6/12/20 - installed new head unit with navigation, backup camera, new Hertz door speakers,, Skar sub and JL amp under passenger seat, new antenna, LED bright headlight conversion, LED interior lights
11/7/20. tyranny flush and refill, mostly new suspension bushings, front/center/rear diff drain/refill, replaced rear pinion seal.
11/20/20- Mobil1 Synthetic oil change
Currently has a rusty upper liftgate. Just painted a new one and going to install this weekend.
Most of this done within the 12 months or so and less than 8k miles.
The bad....little rust underneath because it was a northern vehicle, no rot. Has a tick when warming up and goes away after 2-3 mins. I have no clue what that is. Scuff and minor dent on front passenger corner, infamous clunk even after lubing driveshafts. Cannot shift it into 4LO. It is seized up. I bought it from the original owner and she said she never put it in 4WD. I have all of her service records from Lexus.
Probably forgetting a lot. Of course, it is all put back together on the interior and 2nd row has typical "crack" appearance but nothing torn. 3rd row is great.
Any guidance on a starting price?

Yeah the $5k was a worst case scenario type of guess on my part. I still think $6-7k on average maybe a bit more to the right person once you get those issues cleaned up.

=] Good point on the ARB bumper, then you could say the word overland and pretend like your car is worth more.
Lol. Then I would have to build a drawer system. Do you think I should just focus on getting the wire brush to the frame and get the 4 lo unseized? Or would you do other stuff? I don't want the next person to have to do anything that I should have taken care of.

I'm not interested in going back and forth. Clearly you are.

The only value that matters is what a buyer with money in hand is willing to pay.

You've got a (1)high mile, (2)early (3) LX.
That's the short and short of it.
Each one of those three atttributes will whittle down your buyer pool.

Put a price on it, and then list it. If other Mudders want to debate with you, then good on them.

Good luck with your sale.

DISCLOSURE: I bought a high mile 100 series within the past six months.

just looking at the pics with all the rust and things leaking I'd say 5 to 7.

from what I've seen on FB Marketplace in my area you'd have the best interior with everything else being about equal, seeing as most of the seats in these things have issues with high miles. Your under carriage looks fine (but I'm in the rust belt) I've seen listings asking for 3500-6500 and if all your gremlins are chased off and you have a working braking system and suspension you should start high. To be fair I have seen people ask for 14k and those rigs go quick but those are heavily modified units with all kind of panty droppin suspension swaps/lifts and snorkel bits.

from what I've seen on FB Marketplace in my area you'd have the best interior with everything else being about equal, seeing as most of the seats in these things have issues with high miles. Your under carriage looks fine (but I'm in the rust belt) I've seen listings asking for 3500-6500 and if all your gremlins are chased off and you have a working braking system and suspension you should start high. To be fair I have seen people ask for 14k and those rigs go quick but those are heavily modified units with all kind of panty droppin suspension swaps/lifts and snorkel bits.
I'm interested in this panty droppin swap. I may get that and keep it🤣
I think I am going to fix this 4 lo issue and do a little rust remediation and put $9500 on it. That is a good starting place.

Mileage is second to condition. A 300,000 mile truck with up to date maintenance with a fresh interior is worth more than a sub 200,000 mile truck that needs TB, seats recovered, worn suspension, etc. Nice work on the interior.
That undercarriage "rust" appears very light. Clean that up and you should have no worries.

Last edited:
I think I am going to fix this 4 lo issue and do a little rust remediation and put $9500 on it. That is a good starting place.
Well most of your buyer base is here on the forums, or normies who have next to no idea what they're looking at. If you list it at 9500 you best have records on hand and expect a lot of lowball offers. When I tried to sell my wifes gs400 (better shape than 90% of the other ones i see on fb) I had 100's of people schedule times to look at it and not show up, the one guy that did decided he could rev it up in park walked around the thing 900 times, tasted the exhaust droplets,offered me 800$ after about an hour of times wasting. so while it might be worth 9500, you might have to wait a 6 months to a year (or more) to sell it at that price.
as far as panty dropping mods:
Step One: Develop Confidence.
Step Two:
Step Three: Profit.

This may not matter, but all AHC components were replaced at 150k by Lexus. The original owner had it serviced at Lexus, except for the time period her daughter moved and took it to college. Rest of service listed above was by me or my mechanic. Attached is service records. Not sure if this helps or hurts value...just throwing it out there.

Attachments

• LX470.pdf
    277.6 KB · Views: 63
$5k-7500. I'd be extremely happy walking away with $7500 if that were me.

Expect a ton of people offering you $3-4k.

I don't get why you'd put that work into it and then not keep it. You're going to be loosing money because work that you put into it, you'll never get back.

I know for a fact this isn't a perfect 100 series. Perfect ones are to the level of what 2001LC puts out. So what new suspension bushings did you do? Did you do all of them? That infamous clunk, yeah thats from worn hub splines. Whens the last time you repacked bearings? Are all the rubber hoses fresh? @330k, can bet there are more than a few cracked ones.

Yeah, your $9500 is a bit high, add me to the list of people on here who are saying that. I'm really not seeing where you put that much work into it, or even a list of replacement OEM parts. Its far from a perfect 100.

Last edited:
$5k-7500. I'd be extremely happy walking away with $7500 if that were me.

Expect a ton of people offering you $3-4k.

I don't get why you'd put that work into it and then not keep it. You're going to be loosing money because work that you put into it, you'll never get back.

I know for a fact this isn't a perfect 100 series. Perfect ones are to the level of what 2001LC puts out. So what new suspension bushings did you do? Did you do all of them? That infamous clunk, yeah thats from worn hub splines. Whens the last time you repacked bearings? Are all the rubber hoses fresh? @330k, can bet there are more than a few cracked ones.

Yeah, your $9500 is a bit high, add me to the list of people on here who are saying that. I'm really not seeing where you put that much work into it, or even a list of replacement OEM parts. Its far from a perfect 100.
Not saying it is perfect. Only OEM parts were timing belt and all associated components, except for fan bracket. Suspension parts were OE and included 3 sets of diff bushings and bracket, all sway bar bushings. Other than that, the interior work, nav delete and full stereo upgrade and added backup camera.
I have not messed with the bearing. I may repack them before listing. Some of the rubber hoses have been replaced., not all.
I would never compare myself to 2001LC or my 100. Not sure why he was brought up. He restores and resells for like $20k. Not even on the same level.
Only selling because I have my eyes on another one that is lifted, bumper, and 100k less miles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom