How to value it to sell it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hey fellas,
I am interested in putting my 2002 LX470 up for sale, but have no clue where to start from a valuation perspective.
Here is a list of some major things:
330k miles
6/2/19 -steprail delete
10/10/19 replace rear passenger AHC hose that had a seeping leak
11/2019-Added tow package and 4 pin connector
11/2019- New exhaust
12/18/19-Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, hydraulic tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, tensioner bearing, idler bearing, serpentine belt, fan bracket, upper/lower radiator hoses, Toyota red fluid, heater T's, radiator cap.
12/2019- Synthetic oil change. Valvoline Syntec.
Roof rack added May 2020.
Took out carpet and detail cleaned May 2020.
1/12/20- new Ridies front leather with armrest and center console.
1/15/20- added floormats
6/8/20- Changed in cabin air filters and Mobil1 Synthetic oil change
6/6/20- Kilmatz entire floor and walls.
6/12/20- Nav-Delete to LC controls
6/12/20 - installed new head unit with navigation, backup camera, new Hertz door speakers,, Skar sub and JL amp under passenger seat, new antenna, LED bright headlight conversion, LED interior lights
11/7/20. tyranny flush and refill, mostly new suspension bushings, front/center/rear diff drain/refill, replaced rear pinion seal.
11/20/20- Mobil1 Synthetic oil change
Currently has a rusty upper liftgate. Just painted a new one and going to install this weekend.
Most of this done within the 12 months or so and less than 8k miles.
The bad....little rust underneath because it was a northern vehicle, no rot. Has a tick when warming up and goes away after 2-3 mins. I have no clue what that is. Scuff and minor dent on front passenger corner, infamous clunk even after lubing driveshafts. Cannot shift it into 4LO. It is seized up. I bought it from the original owner and she said she never put it in 4WD. I have all of her service records from Lexus.
Probably forgetting a lot. Of course, it is all put back together on the interior and 2nd row has typical "crack" appearance but nothing torn. 3rd row is great.
Any guidance on a starting price?

I'd be more curious to see some undercarriage pics and more about maintenance / repair history ( at what mileage) to consider a price range

I'd be more curious to see some undercarriage pics and more about maintenance / repair history ( at what mileage) to consider a price range

Exactly my thoughts.....

I agree that more info on engine/undercarriage and maintenance history would help.

Having done some extensive research about 6 months ago when I purchased my truck I can say that in CA prices for a 2004 ranged from $14k - $29k depending on condition and miles.

I agree that more info on engine/undercarriage and maintenance history would help.

Having done some extensive research about 6 months ago when I purchased my truck I can say that in CA prices for a 2004 ranged from $14k - $29k depending on condition and miles.
were you seeing those price ranges even with 300k+ miles?

I am sure we will hear the " mileage doesnt matter it's a land cruiser" but that's crazy talk, it definitely matters. All those parts have been working for that long its bound to need plenty of maintenance, if it hasn't been done already.

I'd say between 6-7k based on what what we know so far

Sorry. Trying to figure out how to add pics. There is a limit. I'll add here.

Screenshot_20201217-125926_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-125948_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-125959_Gallery.jpg

20200905_083405.jpg

20200905_083418.jpg

were you seeing those price ranges even with 300k+ miles?

I am sure we will hear the " mileage doesnt matter it's a land cruiser" but that's crazy talk, it definitely matters. All those parts have been working for that long its bound to need plenty of maintenance, if it hasn't been done already.

Should have specified. Prices were for vehicles with mileage ranging between 190k - 280k miles.

I'll get an engine pic this evening.

Screenshot_20201217-130119_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-130229_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-130431_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-130443_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20201217-130253_Gallery.jpg

Sure is a nice clean interior .

AHC is still working? Some will be afraid of that possibly failing and costing some money

Some nasty looking rot near those rear sway bar links

I'll stick with my initial thought of between $6-7k but with those miles it's tough, post it for $7k and see who bites. In all reality you may only pull in $5k.
Once you get to the $10k range you can find rigs with less than 220k miles.

I agree. The undercarriage rust isn't too terrible (I've seen a lot worse) so this may sell higher to someone in the rust belt. Might see some hesitation from potential buyers down south. The interior and paint look pretty good!

@1gr8FoSemty Not to switch topics but did all that sound proofing have a noticeable difference? Looks good

I only have Lexus maintenance records though 2012.
Sure is a nice clean interior .

AHC is still working? Some will be afraid of that possibly failing and costing some money

Some nasty looking rot near those rear sway bar links

I'll stick with my initial thought of between $6-7k but with those miles it's tough, post it for $7k and see who bites. In all reality you may only pull in $5k.
Once you get to the $10k range you can find rigs with less than 220k miles.
Yeah. AHC works fine. There is nothing that a wire wheel won't take off. Nothing that I can stick a screwdriver through at least.
That's disheartening. I was hoping for between 9-10 with the work/$ I've put into this thing.

Yeah. AHC works fine. There is nothing that a wire wheel won't take off. Nothing that I can stick a screwdriver through at least.
That's disheartening. I was hoping for between 9-10 with the work/$ I've put into this thing.
I'd honestly say less, given the tailgate rust, the exhaust manifold leak, the fact that it's the 4speed, and the problem with 4lo. Prob a 5k rig to me?

That will be tough, I paid 10k for mine and it had 150k miles with no rust and a decent history. Might need to set the bar a little lower or just keep it until it dies

That will be tough, I paid 10k for mine and it had 150k miles with no rust and a decent history. Might need to set the bar a little lower or just keep it until it dies
I just need to find the right person. There is one from Chicago on here that is in much worse condition for 7500.
So, @4Beast seems to think that this may be the lowest price rig on this site valuing it at only $5k. I am the 2nd owner. The rear liftgate is being replaced with a freshly painted/badged one this weekend and the 4lo being stuck is probably alleviated by a little PB Blaster. I have not addressed because I haven't gone anywhere that I needed it. I don't think its a 5k rig. Can't help that it has a 4 speed. That's a little ridiculous if you factor everything that has been done recently. This thing has no leaks and tons of records besides that 5 year gap in which her daughter had it for college, in which I was told local mechanics serviced it...obviously no way to verify, but the lowest price 100 on mud. Come on now?
It's kinda stupid what people are paying for these right now, but I just want a fair valuation. I wouldn't sell it for over 10 to someone because I would feel like I am ripping them off.
Seems I should put an ARB on the front and ask $13k, lol
P.S. I'm not mad, just disagree with listing it at $5k.

No buyers will care about the sound deadening work. And whatever else doesn't directly contribute to this being a turn key rig.

As it sits, it has some needs. And high miles.

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question.

It's not a $10K rig.

I just need to find the right person. There is one from Chicago on here that is in much worse condition for 7500.
So, @4Beast seems to think that this may be the lowest price rig on this site valuing it at only $5k. I am the 2nd owner. The rear liftgate is being replaced with a freshly painted/badged one this weekend and the 4lo being stuck is probably alleviated by a little PB Blaster. I have not addressed because I haven't gone anywhere that I needed it. I don't think its a 5k rig. Can't help that it has a 4 speed. That's a little ridiculous if you factor everything that has been done recently. This thing has no leaks and tons of records besides that 5 year gap in which her daughter had it for college, in which I was told local mechanics serviced it...obviously no way to verify, but the lowest price 100 on mud. Come on now?
It's kinda stupid what people are paying for these right now, but I just want a fair valuation. I wouldn't sell it for over 10 to someone because I would feel like I am ripping them off.
Seems I should put an ARB on the front and ask $13k, lol
P.S. I'm not mad, just disagree with listing it at $5k.

Yeah the $5k was a worst case scenario type of guess on my part. I still think $6-7k on average maybe a bit more to the right person once you get those issues cleaned up.

=] Good point on the ARB bumper, then you could say the word overland and pretend like your car is worth more.

No buyers will care about the sound deadening work. And whatever else doesn't directly contribute to this being a turn key rig.

As it sits, it has some needs. And high miles.

If you don't like the answers, don't ask the question.

It's not a $10K rig.
What work does it need? I'd like to address those need, then reevaluate. I want the next owner to be worry-free.
I'll take out the sound deadening from my listing of things done in the last year. It was just in the list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom