Dealer Price to Repack Wheel Bearing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

marshcat

SILVER Star
Threads
Brought my '07 LX to the local dealer for its oil change today. For scheduled maintenance I generally use some combination of a local independent shop and DIY, but I like getting oil changes at the dealer. For $60 they vacuum and wash the car and do a detailed inspection. With almost 320k miles that inspection is great peace of mind. I can't DIY in the winter because my convertible spends winters on jack stands in the garage.

They tell me that my front wheel bearings need repacking, and sure enough when I go into the shop to check I can feel some play in the wheels with the truck up on the lift. On my previous Land Cruiser I bought a fish scale and repacked the front wheel bearings myself but I have no interest in doing that on the street in the December.

We haggle on price for a while and end up settling on ~$850 for the job. About $250 of that is parts - oil seals, gaskets, washers. Tough to pay that kind of money for something I can do myself but I get a nice 2021 RX Loaner and they'll bring my LX back to my house on Tuesday and pick up the loaner. That's worth some money.

Curious if anyone else here has had their bearings repacked recently at a dealer or indie, and what they paid?

🤣🤣🤣$850

That RX comes with a bug tub vaseline in every cupholder I bet.

Combo hand sanitizer/vaseline for 2020 :)

What is their hourly labor rate? $169+/hr for that area?

Also, please clarify. Are they just pulling out the bearing and squeezing new grease into them and reassembling with some newer locking parts? Or are they actually replacing the bearings, races, and cleaning out the interior of the hub and putting new grease in the hub too?

That seems a bit much. It would help to see what parts that includes so we can gauge how in depth they're planning on being.

I could do that job all day if I got $600 in labor per side, haha. Line those 100's up around the block!

$300 in labor per side, $850 total for both sides with parts. I'll post the itemizied bill when I get it.

Also, please clarify. Are they just pulling out the bearing and squeezing new grease into them and reassembling with some newer locking parts? Or are they actually replacing the bearings, races, and cleaning out the interior of the hub and putting new grease in the hub too?

Probably the former. I dont think the $220 parts price is enough to cover new bearings and races for both sides.

Recently got a quote from the dealer along with some indies. Dealer wanted $700 for the wheel bearing service alone. They also quote $650 for front brake pads and rotors to be resurfaced, $1000 if the rotors couldn't be resurfaced. I got a quote from an indie for $850 if I needed new rotors. I asked them to quote me with a wheel bearing service included so I'll need to call back to confirm they will repack the bearings at that price with the front brake job. Hope this helps.

Recently got a quote from the dealer along with some indies. Dealer wanted $700 for the wheel bearing service alone. They also quote $650 for front brake pads and rotors to be resurfaced, $1000 if the rotors couldn't be resurfaced. I got a quote from an indie for $850 if I needed new rotors. I asked them to quote me with a wheel bearing service included so I'll need to call back to confirm they will repack the bearings at that price with the front brake job. Hope this helps.

Thanks that's really helpful information! You're in Oklahoma?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom