Preserving Patina - How To Tips and Tricks (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I am trying my first Penetrol treatment.

I like the way it cures and dries in the exposed rust but man. It cured up on the white paint and I’m having to use goof off to remove it.

Otherwise I’m liking the look.

I got the drivers corner of the hood done and quit. I’ll likely have to polish the paint now since im striping all the wax off with the Goof

FB1AAD10-C49C-4E8C-A176-F9AC6CB009E2.jpeg

4195925F-3E07-4441-A0A5-60F07BE86394.jpeg

A1101844-EDF2-41BA-8672-C32DAE45B977.jpeg

87888B58-0311-4C62-A62A-2DE6771872C2.jpeg

Serious. Wax, and see the waxy dandruff on the rust. Gasoline dip a toothbrush, and use it on the white parts. It will look darker when dry, and water will still bead up?

The sides were in great shape but the roof had me a little worried.

There has been a Con Ferr rack on it and it was plaid with grime and rust.

587DCD36-3968-4F14-B8E9-0A179CB2B7F8.jpeg

0E4EC5CE-EA86-4F58-A218-B5156AB00CF3.jpeg

Layer one of Penetrol applied. Roof rack will be going back on so I want a good hard protectant up there.
I have to say. This was the best piece one patina I’ve ever had the pleasure of bringing back. Zero cancer. Just good ole time.

6E7E76B0-EC35-4EE3-BD17-24C9E3AE5354.jpeg

Layer one of Penetrol applied. Roof rack will be going back on so I want a good hard protectant up there.
I have to say. This was the best piece one patina I’ve ever had the pleasure of bringing back. Zero cancer. Just good ole time.

View attachment 2524679
So how do you like Penetrol so far? The great thing about it is that a year from now the roof will look just like that! I need to try your method next time. The problem here in the north is salt and snow. I know the Penetrol hold up well to those conditions.

So how do you like Penetrol so far? The great thing about it is that a year from now the roof will look just like that! I need to try your method next time. The problem here in the north is salt and snow. I know the Penetrol hold up well to those conditions.

I still think Fluid Film is the way to go for areas that get dirty and you pressure wash off ... underside. Fenders. Etc.

I’m liking the finished coat the Penetrol gives for the external part.

my only mess up is applying it to a dirty truck and it stained the white. I’m aware now and think adding it to a clean surface is money

I still think Fluid Film is the way to go for areas that get dirty and you pressure wash off ... underside. Fenders. Etc.

my only mess up is applying it to a dirty truck and it stained the white. I’m aware now and think adding it to a clean surface is money
Yea that’s what I do. Use CLR, clean well, and use small amounts of Penetrol. I like several thin coats. Let it dry for about 2 weeks to completely cure. Then it’s great.

What are you using to apply it?

What are you using to apply it?

I wiped it on with a blue shop rag.

It’s cold here and that coat that was applied about 4 pm yesterday has not fully dried.

Just an FYI for those wanting to apply multiple coats of Penetrol. Keep your area clean and plan a few days for multiple coats.

I wiped it on with a blue shop rag.

It’s cold here and that coat that was applied about 4 pm yesterday has not fully dried.

Just an FYI for those wanting to apply multiple coats of Penetrol. Keep your area clean and plan a few days for multiple coats.
Good to know! But so far you're liking it more than FF, on exterior body panels? I love how FF looks, for the first few days. I'd love something that lasts a little longer.

It’s not always about oil though. If you have great paint and raw metal I like to put a good coat of polish and wax on the truck then go back to the bare metal with treatment.

this thing is polishing up like a champ

41AD6605-E08D-4C3B-BB76-C1068DDB7C84.jpeg

C2940E64-C69F-4F03-9F90-E5D5EDD4214B.jpeg

C5E30D9E-3239-44FE-8BDD-BFAC9B56FC37.jpeg

Good to know! But so far you're liking it more than FF, on exterior body panels? I love how FF looks, for the first few days. I'd love something that lasts a little longer.

I’m still good with FF on certain applications. Especially with trucks like The Goat and Patina where the paint was very porous.

Also I enjoy rubbing it on after a wash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom