New to me 60 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

bcsteel

SILVER Star
Threads
Previous Owner and I have been talking about exchanging this for some time. It’s a lhd conversion, high roof 12ht, 5spd etc. FF rear, no lockers. Clean frame and better than average body Known issues include,

Rear heater not working
Some slop in the steering and needs an alignment
Needs a headliner
Rear wiper not working
Knuckle seals weeping
Bit of rear driveshaft clunk
Front heater seems to blow like crazy but very little air movement.
Carpet is gross
Electric windows suck.
Has steps and fender flares.

Came with tons of parts. can post pics if you guys want to see the rig

Congrats on the new acquisition! This is the one you posted a pic of in 'pic of the day' thread? Looks nice. And they all need a bit of TLC, so a bit of elbow grease and it'll be good to go. Post more pics.

I’ll get some pictures tomorrow. Weather up here today was horrible. I don’t know much about 60 series so there might be lots of questions...

Cool...

How did they do the conversion? Firewall swap from a bj60 or hj60?
12 or 24v?
Mainly wondering if the harness was flipped or they used a hj60 harness..

Good chance the main fan is spinning the wrong way, if they put the RHD motor into the LHD housing. You can see the fan blades if you pop the duct off.

For the rear stuff, depending what was done with the main harness, the rear harness might be backwards. I had to pull mine out and run it down the other side of the truck to get stuff working again. Was a bit of a pain.

Seat , doors and rear heater on one side, tail and rear wiper etc on the other if I'm remembering correctly.
Haven't bothered with the rear wiper or rear heater tho, I need to get under the headliner and don't want to destroy it just for a wiper I never used..

My 24v windows work really well. Fast even, but I had to lube the bejeezus out of them to get them there.

Last edited:
For the swap he used a hj60 firewall and flipped the 61 harness. Gave me another complete harness with all the relays which was pretty nice. I’ll pull the rear fan motor and check the resistor and fan. See if there’s power there etc.

The carpet In this thing is gross so I need to source a new carpet kit and clean that up soon. Will try to get the heater working today. Got a very small weather window before it goes to ah!t.

In a perfect world I’d like to find a mint headliner for 200 bucks and install it and be done.Doubt that will happen

Pretty much the same way I did it then.

My issue with anything aft of the front door posts was the two harnesses were on the wrong sides.

He may have flipped them too, but like I said, I gave up at the rear hatch harness because my headliner was intact.

Nice truck. Guessing there aren't that many lefty 61's around.

Pretty fun to drive compared to a bj60, 12ht goes like stink. You eventually get used to the twitchy throttle in first :lol:

Which reminds me, I really need to get my hand throttle sorted out.. :beer:

Did you reuse your carpet for the conversion? This one looks like post 70’s shag. Still shag but not

My front carpet was gross too. I took it out years ago...

I got some thick rubber stall mats and cut them out. Works pretty well. The cargo area carpet is still in mine but that's it.

Cruiser pilot has a nice carpet kit in his 60, too nice for my grubby ass tho :lol:

Last edited:
Update, insured and plated. Went for a drive. Forgot how nice the 12ht is. Things I hate at the moment. Anemic heater, steering wanders and is very scary, needs alignment as well, when depressing the clutch pedal there is a weird kind of chattering noise. Apparently clutch is new. Got the rear washer fluid pump working but not the wiper. Rear heater not so much yet. Brakes feel kinda ok. Glow light still on. Did not fix itself.

Steering and heat are first on the list. The carpet is next. Right gross. Have to go into camp for a few days. Will post pics when back. Weather was sporty here again today.

I've got a spare rear heater out of a BJ60 and a rear drive shaft if you need them. Dave

422B1ED1-0D15-4922-B746-797AB0C76EBF.jpeg
DF5AAB25-3DF6-43D9-B991-547B40A6E19B.jpeg
872E8FA7-03F9-4E73-9DA1-121D51BC2845.jpeg
202F1F6B-601E-42BA-AAC8-E559216F000F.jpeg
44894E2D-69A5-4EC5-BD96-B649E8F538E9.jpeg

Big day,

glow light now off, broken wire.
Heater, swapped wires and now spins the right way. heater works awesome. Rear not so much. Needs attention.
Steering: adjusted box. Drag link too. Less wander, way less. No death feelings. Seems a heavy now and some clunks so likely needs a bit less adjustment?
Seafoamed the tank as well.

The carpet and flares and steps are really annoying. Need to deal with those.

Fusible link as above was a mess. Fixed. Grid heater too...

@seapotato I owe you a lot of beer. Swapped wires and now the defrost will smoke you out. So warm in there.

Last edited:
Haha, all good.

Glad something I said was helpful for once....:lol:

That's the same soggy brown carpet I had.

I had rubber gloves on when I removed mine. Wanted to use tongs.

But the real question is...dafuq is up with your thumbnail??? 😅

Haha good eye. Stabbed me thumb with a blade. Was puking blood.

Another update,

got the oil changed and chased a leak. Oil pressure sender was on hand tight and as a result leaking quit ferociously.

coolant leak was same..from radiator. Hand tight clamp.

power steering belt was sorta on. Broke tensioner bolt adjusting. Had a spare. Bought another from Toyota for 4.00. Belt is now secure and pump operational

alternator same. Charging properly now

flushed coolant. Lots of heat now.

found that one of the posts on the grid heater is stripped. Forward one. The connection is barely there. Will fix that this weekend.

checked wheel bearings and brakes. Need some love. Parts in order. Front breaks are pretty pooched. Truck came with wheel bearing kits for all 4 corners.

front driveshaft bolts were on hand tight. Need to replace ujoints. Bolts were fine

rear diff breather was plugged. Not anymore.

Tcase was converted from vacuum to manual. The piece of cold rolled steel used for lever is not bent correctly and therefore will not go into 4 low. Probably a bigger can of worms than I’m aware of. Will look into that on weekend.

rear heater, rear wiper still need addressing, carpet and fender flares are coming out soon as well. Inside frame rails needs a good douching.

exhaust is kinda Sh!t

steering clunks from both sides when turning slow, OME suspension. Guessing the bushings are shot.

after a pm session with @cruiserpilot I think I’ll order a webasto heater, 24v type. Would be handy up here. Do see -25 on occasion.

love driving this thing. 12ht is a blast, especially with heat.

That’s it for now

Nice thing, all proper fan belts are available from Toyota for reasonable price.

They were all newish, just tensioned correctly....
Does the 2h and 12ht share the same oil pan?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom