Dissent Rear and Swing Arm Bike Racks? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

whirlybirdbrewing

SILVER Star
Threads
Looking for some help figuring out a good bike rack setup. There are some threads on the 100 side (and 200 side) that have some data points but I'm specifically looking for racks to put on a Dissent rear bumper.

My thought is that it would be beneficial to use the additional hitch on the mount tray instead of the main hitch so I can keep the ground clearance and not eat into my departure angle (or eat into a rack when I exceed a new departure angle).

The only thing I've seen is a 1UP that @benc posted on page 46 of the mega modular rear bumper thread here.

Re-post of the picture:
image.jpeg

Looks like exactly what I want but before I run out and buy a 1Up, I was curious if anyone else has done the same with another rack.

It seems like the contenders for "best rack out there" include the following:
1Up
Kuat NV 2.0
Thule T2

I'm only looking for a 2xbike setup.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last I checked you can’t even buy a 1up right now. I’ve been trying to order one since July and every time I check they’re not taking orders because of the increased demand.

I have the same set up shown in the picture. I've had a 1up for a long time. It gets used at least 3 times a week. It's held up really well. The swing out works great and is WAY more convenient than dropping the bikes down when it was on the old receiver. I didn't know the 1Up was hard to get at the moment. But, if you can find one, they're great.

Interesting on 1Up. I may have a silver Quick Rack with Add-On available for sale if a friend doesn't want it. HMU if you definitely decide on a 1Up.

Your understanding is correct. I have an original Dissent rear and my 1Up rack does not work with the bumper hitch - it puts the first tray too close to the spare - but the no-cut might be slightly different. I have been using a drop hitch receiver while Ben makes me a second swingout for my bumper. It seems the second swingout on the current design was designed with the 1UP in mind.

It seems like the contenders for "best rack out there" include the following:
1Up
Kuat NV 2.0
Thule T2

I thought this list looked like:

1Up
iSi

I was deciding between these two recently but I’m going to hold off for a while. Last month, 1Up wasn’t taking orders. iSi was 2-3 weeks out from Australia. 1Up is pretty straightforward on their website and they make a swing arm if you want it. iSi you should send an email. They’ll write back the next day and give you a price and configuration incl. shipping. They’re both expensive and both get great reviews but I’ve not seen either in person or been able to find a side by side comparison from anyone who’s had their hands on both.

Good luck. Please report back when you decide.

I have an original Dissent rear and my 1Up rack does not work with the bumper hitch - it puts the first tray too close to the spare

There's a myriad of products that will extend your hitch stinger to whatever length you need, FYI...

True, and I tried a variety of hitch extensions with some success. The drop hitch or a long extension were the only things that allowed me to use the swingout, and the long extension caused too much vibration on the highway.

Hmmm. Sounds like 1UP ain’t a bad way to roll then. Thanks for the feedback.

True, and I tried a variety of hitch extensions with some success. The drop hitch or a long extension were the only things that allowed me to use the swingout, and the long extension caused too much vibration on the highway.

I use a long extension with a anti-rattle pin and so far no problems with vibration. The swing out just clears the rack when it is tilted back. The 1Up rack sure beats my old rack and it makes carrying bikes around so much easier now...

IMG_6140.jpg

@Otis, with your setup are you able to open the tire swing arm without moving the bikes at all?

(Other than the ability to carry two bikes) I am trying to find a setup where I can open and close the tire swing so I can open the rear window without having to take a bike off the rack.

@Otis, with your setup are you able to open the tire swing arm without moving the bikes at all?

No... The rack has to be tilted back to open the swing out. It is not difficult but since I don't have the optional EZ Pull handle on my rack it is a bit awkward to lower. I think with the handle it would be much easier since you wouldn't have to reach under the rack to release the tilting mechanism.

@whirlybirdbrewing The picture you posted is of my 100. I asked Ben if he could design a swing out that can take a tray style bike rack specifically to help with access to the back of the truck. This was particularly important for my wife who is unable to lower the rack when bikes are loaded on it. Ben hit it out of the park and we've been thrilled to have this functionality.

For the design work i loaned Ben two bike racks, the 1UP you see in the picture and a Thule tray rack. Since the Dissent swing out sets the mounting point off center, Ben only recommends the 1UP rack to use on the swing out. The 1UP allows bikes to be set slightly off center to help them stay behind the truck. My 29" full suspension bike does sit slightly wide of the passenger side of the truck, but no wider than the side mirror.

With the extra weight, and more importantly leverage, of a two tray bike rack it is important to not overload the rack and to check the swing out mounting bolts periodically. I tightened mine once and never had them loosen again. I'd only use this setup with two bikes since a third tray would just bee too much. With the Dissent design placing the bike rack mount higher, the clearance is great. Below is a photo from going up Imogene. The bumper or trasharoo hit things before the bike rack does.

Last comment I'll make about the 1UP is this. I've worked in the cycling industry for a few decades. I can buy almost any rack out there for below wholesale pricing and a number of big name brands have sent me racks for free. I paid retail for the 1UP and it is worth every dollar. Other racks work fine but am glad I paid for this one and ave gotten far more value out of it then what the price is. It is the type of rack you buy once and can use for a lifetime.

IMG_7285.jpg

@neilsen100 Dude! Fantastic feedback. Exactly what I was looking for.

Copy all on the 2x tray. 90% of the time the only thing I need to haul is a 29er and a kids bike. For the few times I need more, my plan was to chuck the other two bikes on the roof instead of sacrificing the weight and mounting issues a 4 tray comes with.

Again, thanks for passing along the info and your experiences.

:beer: Cheers man.

I don’t have the rear bumper now but i plan to buy one from mike bior. He has customizable ones based on what you want. When i decide to get one, I want to ask him if it’s possible to have the bike rack on the left swing out and the tire carrier on the right one. Maybe try reaching out to him and see if he can do that.

This all comes down to the quality of the extension; tolerance for the slip fit - even with a good anti rattle pin/system. I don't have a aftermarket rear but do use an extension for my 1UP for other cargo setup and get no vibration whatsoever. None. It does wobble a little more than without the extension but it's a 1UP, it's not going anywhere if set up properly.

I agree, and wobble is more accurate than vibration. I wouldn’t worry about it going anywhere, but it’s not comforting to watch the bikes shaking like that. A 19" extension had much more wobble than the drop hitch, but both let me open the swingout when the 1UP is in the lowest position. The 1UP is rock solid on my Q7 at any speed, and I hope that the second swing arm will result in something similar.

Your understanding is correct. I have an original Dissent rear and my 1Up rack does not work with the bumper hitch - it puts the first tray too close to the spare - but the no-cut might be slightly different. I have been using a drop hitch receiver while Ben makes me a second swingout for my bumper. It seems the second swingout on the current design was designed with the 1UP in mind.

I've done this successfully with a hitch extender. The swing can only stand one or two bikes at best.

1604958406398.png

Dissent and 1-up

I just received an email from 1UP. They are selling gift cards with a 10% bonus. You can buy the gift card, then order the rack and effectively get 9% off. That's pretty great from a company that doesn't discount their product. I'd certainly buy one if my 6 year old rack wasn't still working flawlessly.

LINK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom