1977 fj. Should i switch to 4 wheel disk brakes? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That and I have heard of an application where you can utilize the rear discs for a parking brake.

Did you mean you "NEVER" heard of a rear parking brake set up with discs?

There are several vehicles with this very set up. First one that comes to mind that some people who convert use is the late 70's caddy eldo. plus any gm truck with disc brakes also has a similar set up.

Did you mean you "NEVER" heard of a rear parking brake set up with discs?

There are several vehicles with this very set up. First one that comes to mind that some people who convert use is the late 70's caddy eldo. plus any gm truck with disc brakes also has a similar set up.

No, I meant to say that there were several instances of people using the rear disc brakes for a parking brake setup. Where did you get the NEVER part? :hmm:

The rear drums actually work quite well. But they do require a little maintenance. When I rotate my tires I have the whole truck up on jack stands anyway so I grab the rear brake adjuster tool and adjust the rear brakes. it take about 2 minuet a brake one you figure it out. My truck stops as good and any other Ive ever drove. I don't see the reason for the extra expense unless your axes spend a lot of time in the water. Id say keep the drums.

With stock size - 33" tires, the stock drums are fine.

If you're going bigger than 33's get the rear disc brakes OR swap in a later FJ40 or FJ60 rear housing with the newer drum brake setup (and parking brake).

I recently added a "Manafre" rear disk brake conversion to my 77' FJ40. It does take some moderate mechanical skill, patience, and a couple of bucks. I love the setup and I think its a great upgrade. You won't need to change the booster or the master cylinder to add rear disc brakes, just need to remove residual valve for the rear circuit and add a adjustable proportioning valve. I bent my own brake lines where needed and had rubber brake lines made for me to complete the build. There are several tech articles available and of course this forum.

I used "camcruiser13" brake conversion as an inspiration (and great photos).
I also quizzed Georg-"orangefj45". He was very helpful and his guidance was great!

I was reluctant at first to tackle the job. Search the tech articles, there are some great ideas and several will save you time and lots of money.
Thanks for this reply. I have a 77 FJ40 and the rear wheels are frozen. Need to completely redo the rear brakes. Thinking of changing to disks.
Question: How did you handle the parking brake problem after the modification?

Thanks for this reply. I have a 77 FJ40 and the rear wheels are frozen. Need to completely redo the rear brakes. Thinking of changing to disks.
Question: How did you handle the parking brake problem after the modification?

Your '77 40 should have the parking brake on the transfer case, so no problem for you to convert the rear axle to discs.

Your '77 40 should have the parking brake on the transfer case, so no problem for you to convert the rear axle to discs.
You seem to know a lot about Cruisers. Let me ask another question(s).
1.There seem to be different types of rear disk kits for this modification. Some for floating axle and some for fixed axel. How do I know what I have? I know it’s stock whatever it is.
2. This Cruiser has a Chevy 305 installed. I’m thinking of putting in a 350 or even a Vortec mpi. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks.
P.

1.There seem to be different types of rear disk kits for this modification. Some for floating axle and some for fixed axel. How do I know what I have? I know it’s stock whatever it is.
2. This Cruiser has a Chevy 305 installed. I’m thinking of putting in a 350 or even a Vortec mpi. What are your thoughts on this?
Thanks.
P.

you should probably start your own thread for your multiple questions. But anyway

-your stock 77 FJ40 has a Semi float rear
-A 305 and 350 should have the same mounting pattern, so depending on your skills to wire fuel injection it shouldn’t be too hard.

Thanks.
P.

What @subzali said. As long as your 40 is a U.S.-market Cruiser (not a South American import for example) then you have semi-floating rear axles. There are several good vendors that make brackets for those, to mount Chevy Monte Carlo brake calipers on. This is a tried and true, fairly simple way to get disc brakes on your rear axle.

I'm fond of the stock 2F motor and have never had a V8 conversion Cruiser, so other people could answer this question better.

subzali and 1911 both told you what you probably have for a rear axle, but you also need to know how to tell the difference between semi and full floating rear ends. You look at the rear brake drum center to tell the difference. If the surface is reasonably flat across between wheel studs opposite each other on the drum you have a semi-floating rear end. But, if there is a large protrusion of several inches, similar to what is on your front axle/brake drum, between opposite wheel studs then you have a full floating rear axle. This is a very simple answer, wheel bearing location makes the difference between the two and is much more involved.

Don

I recently replaced my rear drums with disc, they needed total replacement and like @Mopdog the cost was a wash.

I wouldn’t consider it an massive improvement over well set up drums, but it’s defiantly not a downgrade. I’m happy with my decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom