eimkeith Panhard correction kit install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Broski

I love Wheelin my 80
SILVER Star
Threads
I finally got around to installing my PCK from eimkeith. It's pretty straightforward if you have a welder and can weld.
The first thing I did is weld up the corners.
1596073997148.png
1596074046790.png

Then I removed the Panhard bolt and tied the panhard up out of the way and checked the fit.
1596074254054.png

The fit was spot on. Then I hit all the areas to be welded with the flop desk to remove all the paint, I also beveled all areas to be welded both on the existing mount and the new piece to help facilitate a good weld.
1596074733530.png

Then I welded it up. Not the prettiest but I think it will hold.
1596074899250.png

Then I got to painting it. The welds look better after paint.
1596075207209.png

Reinstalled the panhard and recentered the axle. To center the axle I put the rear axle on jack stands with the weight of the vehicle on the suspension( ride height ) and the wheels off. Then I put a straight edge on the rear disk brake then measure over to the frame adjust in tell equal on both sides.
Of course you need to have adjustable panhard for this part.
1596076076921.png

I also rerouted the hydraulic brake line up out of harms way as it has been smashed before.
1596076355913.png

:clap:
The brake line down around the factory bracket and if you don't run a rear sway bar it is completely vulnerable. Hears a pik in the stock location
1596076677373.png

So far I'm happy with the way it turn out.:clap:

There 2" lift springs That I am getting around 31/2" of lift. My Reg is light for a 80.
The single side is raising the Panhard about 31/4" as far as I can tell, so in the ball park.
The only thing I would have done different is weld the nut to the back of the bracket, the way I have the brake line it's hard to get a wrench on the nut:oops:
The book calls for 130Ft lbs of torque on that end. do you recommend the same with your bracket ? the skinny nut scares me.

There 2" lift springs That I am getting around 31/2" of lift. My Reg is light for a 80.
The single side is raising the Panhard about 31/4" as far as I can tell, so in the ball park.
The only thing I would have done different is weld the nut to the back of the bracket, the way I have the brake line it's hard to get a wrench on the nut:oops:
The book calls for 130Ft lbs of torque on that end. do you recommend the same with your bracket ? the skinny nut scares me.

no, I'd lock-tite it and go less. I like the weld it on idea, though.

I put an order in a few days ago and looks like Keith is about to ship it out to me. Looking forward to the project...thanks for the writeup @Broski

Thanks for the order! (I just saw it this afternoon, sorry for the delay there!)
Do you sell both sides separately? I have a custom one on the axle side already and it's very close to being tall enough already but I've considered making one for the frame side also to get the panhard perfectly flat. But if you have one you sell separately, that would save some time.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Do you sell both sides separately? I have a custom one on the axle side already and it's very close to being tall enough already but I've considered making one for the frame side also to get the panhard perfectly flat. But if you have one you sell separately, that would save some time.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

I don't - but PM me; I may have some prototypes left over that will work for you (I can check in the morning if you remind me)

Eimkeith,
I ran your PCK on my 4th gen and I gotta say, it has been great at aligning the axle back. Curious as I will be acquiring a 100 series and am going to go 3” rear lift and long travel on the back. Will this PCK work on the axle side of things? From what I’ve gathered, it looks pretty similar.
Zach

Eimkeith,
I ran your PCK on my 4th gen and I gotta say, it has been great at aligning the axle back. Curious as I will be acquiring a 100 series and am going to go 3” rear lift and long travel on the back. Will this PCK work on the axle side of things? From what I’ve gathered, it looks pretty similar.
Zach

Hi Zach, I haven't had a chance to look at a 100 series just yet, but I recall that a neighbor has one, so I'll crawl under it when I get an opportunity.

The axle side of the 100 is very similar, but the bolt is smaller. (14mm vs. 18mm)
Good to know. Wondering the same about the lower link skid on the 80 vs the 100. Looks similar as well but maybe the bolt size differs. Doesn’t seem like much to get it to work.

Good to know. Wondering the same about the lower link skid on the 80 vs the 100. Looks similar as well but maybe the bolt size differs. Doesn’t seem like much to get it to work.
Correct, the 100 has smaller bolts there too.

I ordered an FZJ80 for my 93. Is this bracket correct @eimkeith ? The rear has a V notch on the back and mine is flat. I order the fZJ80.
02FFF2D0-D1F7-47EC-AAF2-EE8DB7D7AF12.jpeg
BE5A8945-D48A-43E7-9569-C6EA74A5BB41.jpeg

nope; you should have gotten the flat bracket - not the V-shaped one that is for the later FZJ (vs FJ).

HOWEVER: a couple of my prototype guys ran that one on their early axles; they made fill plates and welded them in the voids and carried on. (That would be my suggestion since you've fully welded the bumper side already.)

The voids are the only difference between the two versions, btw. And I'm glad you posted this - it's a great example of the difference between the early and late factory mounts!

nope; you should have gotten the flat bracket - not the V-shaped one that is for the later FZJ (vs FJ).

HOWEVER: a couple of my prototype guys ran that one on their early axles; they made fill plates and welded them in the voids and carried on. (That would be my suggestion since you've fully welded the bumper side already.)

The voids are the only difference between the two versions, btw. And I'm glad you posted this - it's a great example of the difference between the early and late factory mounts!

yeah that’s what I did. Not pretty but functional.
Just send me a new set for my other FZJ80 94 and we’ll call it square. :p
image.jpg

Finally got mine in...had to use the jack handle as breaker bar extension trick to break the bolts loose but otherwise was fairly straightforward. My welding was not brilliant but seems like it will hold, and with paint on won't embarrass me too much...I think. Waiting on delivery of an adjustable panhard bar as I managed to bend mine pressing out the bushing (yeah, that was a disappointment!)

1604545494509.png

1604545522766.png

Thanks for a nice product @eimkeith
@Box Rocket if you haven't sorted out the frame side piece yet lmk, I am happy to send you mine for a six pack of IPA (and shipping.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom