six stud knuckles: raising the white flag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to upgrade my 76-78 axle with six stud knuckles and minitruck/ 79-85 parts. I've hit the wall and am about to surrender completely to what feels like a project of foolishness. The wall I've hit is steering.
Whats working; six sud knuckles mounted (and centered thanks to a fellow mudder), upgraded chromo birfs for 75-89 axle, hubs, spindles, Aisin hub locks, brakes.

What's not working; Steering linkage.
The only arms I have and can find are "high steer". This increase in height puts all my linkage too close to frame if mounted on top of the arm which is the intended design. The holes are tapered for an FJ80 TRE. I drilled them out to 7/8 to accommodate a machined insert that will accommodate a GM 1ton TRE. I snagged the offset TRE to move the tie rod away from the diff which it will hit without an offset as far as I can tell. If try try to mount the offset TRE and the straight TRE to the bottom of the arm they hit each other. Remember any linkage mounted to top of the arm will contact the frame.

Constraints: I want to remain SUA with my current 4" lift. I cannot find a six stud steering arm that is not "high steer", straight or even dropped. I have already purchased 2 sets of steering arms (I'll spare you the back story) and I'm not sure I can find or afford a custom made set especially when I still need to purchase a pitman arm.

If anyone has done this setup under similar circumstances please enlighten me on the way before the white flag reaches the top of the pole. I never had a problem with my factory stuff but I found the knuckles for a pretty good deal and thought I would give it a go. If surrendering I would keep many of the upgraded parts, just switch back to 76-78 knuckles and arms. WHEW! Pictures for your pleasure.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_f98.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fcd.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fd0.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fcf.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_fa9.jpg

Have you talked to Luke at 4x4 Labs. If I was going to modify a set of steering arms (and I have) I would start with his. He can bend (or not) to accommodate various needs, and since they are made from plate steel (not cast), modifications are pretty easy. Adding width for the extra studs seems fairly straight forward. Just my 2 cents.

Have you talked to Luke at 4x4 Labs. If I was going to modify a set of steering arms (and I have) I would start with his. He can bend (or not) to accommodate various needs, and since they are made from plate steel (not cast), modifications are pretty easy. Adding width for the extra studs seems fairly straight forward. Just my 2 cents.
I get the impression he’s got a lot of skills. Was going to go to him for the pitman arm but I’m scared of the cost of getting all these custom parts. I’ll at least give him a call and explore options. Maybe it’ll be worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom