SOLD 4plus axle extended sleeves (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

couldn't some type of extension be fabricated from a old axle housing? Or even cutting out a long side, cut it to length and then weld it into the housing you want to use? Too hard to keep it straight/aligned?
Cutting a housing to use to extend your current housing would be a bad idea for theee reasons, one being that now you have destroyed a perfectly good housing the other would be you'd have a hard time keeping it straight and lastlyit wouldn't be strong enough and would ultimately break at the weld.. If you cut the long side to match the short side then you're defeating one of the purposes of extending the short side which is adding axle width. The sleeve that Dave at 4Plus used to have is machined to slide into the axle so when it's all welded up still is strong kind of like a bung when you weld pipe together. Here is picture I found on Mud to give you a better idea.

Screenshot_20200927-220510_Firefox.jpg

Cutting a housing to use to extend your current housing would be a bad idea for theee reasons, one being that now you have destroyed a perfectly good housing the other would be you'd have a hard time keeping it straight and lastlyit wouldn't be strong enough and would ultimately break at the weld.. If you cut the long side to match the short side then you're defeating one of the purposes of extending the short side which is adding axle width. The sleeve that Dave at 4Plus used to have is machined to slide into the axle so when it's all welded up still is strong kind of like a bung when you weld pipe together. Here is picture I found on Mud to give you a better idea.

View attachment 2461400

I don't think you understood my suggestion. Once you have the right outer tube diameter there are many ways to reinforce the weld joint. A truss would certainly go a long way toward this. Also I was saying cut out the entire long side tube with the ball end then cut it to the correct short side extended length then replace the entire short side tube at the diff housing. Axle housings are not that rare a commodity.

I don't think you understood my suggestion. Once you have the right outer tube diameter there are many ways to reinforce the weld joint. A truss would certainly go a long way toward this. Also I was saying cut out the entire long side tube with the ball end then cut it to the correct short side extended length then replace the entire short side tube at the diff housing. Axle housings are not that rare a commodity.
I see what you're saying. In all honesty I feel the sleeve would be a much easier approach.

My 14 bolt was narrowed using an inner sleeve, but that's a tubed axle, so using an inner reinforcement sleeve works whether widening or narrowing (with outer doner material). Suspect that the LC housing might not be as consistent - so the reason Dave's sleeved addition works so well, is it's building off of the "end" of the axle where the knuckle ball presses in. Not sure three or 4 inches in would be as consistent, so sleeving would be harder, and doubt a truss alone would make up the difference...

Just my .02 cents, but can attest the little extension bit we're discussing was machined well enough that everything lined back up nicely.

Totally agree with that. Just throwing out some ideas since no sleeves seem to be available these days.
We have the specs for the sleeves, it's down to finding the correct size DOM tubing and someone to machine it. Since I posted this ad @reddingcruiser has said he is able to get the correct size and get the machine work done but at a cost so we're now waiting to see if we can get some interest so it woild be more cost effective. I can't speak for everyone who've shown interest but my play budget isn't what I'd like it to be...hahaha!

I believe we're at about 3 as far as intrest...

Bump.
Are we going to end up with more than 3 folks interested? Otherwise, as mentioned the unit price is pretty high.

@cruisermatt - any interest? I was contemplating building up another 60 or 62 but with one of your half sewer caps and a few other mods for future 3-link.....need several more takers to get this price down (way cheaper than a RS housing).

let me think about it i still am not sure what the exact width and offset will be on my crawler axle yet

Bump.
Are we going to end up with more than 3 folks interested? Otherwise, as mentioned the unit price is pretty high.
I believe we had three individuals that are interested. Noahrob has indicated he will take two if that brings the cost down and I am on the same boat. If we still have the three individuals that are interested we would be at 5 but again I'm sure it will come down to cost so if you don't mind finding out what the breakdown would be for 5 or 6 even since you should be able to get 6 pieces out of a 2 foot length of pipe, that would help us decide if this a worthwhile way to go.

I believe we had three individuals that are interested. Noahrob has indicated he will take two if that brings the cost down and I am on the same boat. If we still have the three individuals that are interested we would be at 5 but again I'm sure it will come down to cost so if you don't mind finding out what the breakdown would be for 5 or 6 even since you should be able to get 6 pieces out of a 2 foot length of pipe, that would help us decide if this a worthwhile way to go.

A friend has a CNC machine and will get me a quote to run a batch after Thanksgiving. This will be the cheapest way to do it, as opposed to me manually turning each on a lathe. That said, if it helps lower the price to a realistic point I'll run a few extras and sell them as I can. So, being a short holiday week, if everyone can hold off until next week I'll have an exact cost per unit (minus shipping).

A friend has a CNC machine and will get me a quote to run a batch after Thanksgiving. This will be the cheapest way to do it, as opposed to me manually turning each on a lathe. That said, if it helps lower the price to a realistic point I'll run a few extras and sell them as I can. So, being a short holiday week, if everyone can hold off until next week I'll have an exact cost per unit (minus shipping).
That works for me, early tomorrow morning I'll off to the desert for the rest of the week.

Just an FYI. My machinist got back yesterday from vacation and he has the drawing, numbers soon.

Ok everyone, I have all the numbers and here's how it breaks down:
Materials and production for just 6 extender sleeves puts the unit cost a bit high at $97.54, plus shipping.
Materials and production for 9 extender sleeves puts the unit cost at a more reasonable at $71.56, plus shipping. USPS Medium flat rate box is 12.85 and will easily hold up to 4.

Obviously 9 units means I may have a couple left over, but I'm sure they will sell eventually.

Your turn, so let me know what you want to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom