What Did You Do with Your 80 This Weekend? (74 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Diagnosed why my 80 would feel and sound like it was missing and would die when I hit the gas. I made sure all the plug wires were secure and pushed all the way down, grazed the TPS wire harness and the idle immediately changed and it stopped dying but it was still very rough and would bog under manual throttle manipulation to an extent. This is the weekend I was supposed to go camping and my 80 let me down, for the 2nd weekend in a row. Last weekend, I was going to rent a trailer and haul some stuff to the town recycling center and pick up sheet goods. Starter quit on me last Friday night and had to have it towed back home, 2.5 miles.

Wife brought up the suggestion "maybe you should sell it". I may consider that as an option, as much as I love this cruiser it might just not be the canvas to work on.
Still on the fence.

I did get my reman Denso starter yesterday from Toyota so that'll go on while I wait for a new TPS. Oh and my brake booster hose arrived from Wits End today, thanks @NLXTACY for always getting me my parts and for adding more and more stuff to your site. Hopefully your wife is doing well and you're not pulling what hair you have left out stressing over everything.

I only briefly considered selling mine but then I punched myself in the face and said how could I. The 80 suits my needs 85% of the time.

Tackled a project I've had on my list for a while and did some tailgate storage last night. DPI Marine hatches I found on Amazon. 13x17". Used some Noico sound deadening/heat barrier and a layer of carpet on the inside of the tailgate. I recovered the tailgate with some new carpet and called it good. Will be nice to have a dedicated spot for recovery gear and free up some space in the drawers.
Untitled by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Replaced the o-ring on the oil level sender. Do you think that the big crack on the bottom of the hard-as-a-rock o-ring was causing oil leakage?

Also, made a list of parts to order for my EGR cleanout.

@Mr. Lawrence paid a visit today.... always nice visiting with an original 80 series owner.

702FBEEE-1D61-4DD2-A17A-107987EC7B74.jpeg

What did you do with your 80 this weekend: maintenance, fix, wheel, nothing, new mod??

Me:
Checked air in tires
Change oil&filter 180,000
Fill gas tank
Waiting on box of parts from Beno

I’m in big time maintenance mode: While I wait for my alternator brushes to arrive, started in on the leaks in the cargo area. Looks like water is coming in under the quarter moldings and behind the louvers on both sides. Really don’t want to break the louvers taking them off. 😬
Added Lucas oil stabilizer and fuel treatment.
Also started prepping hubcaps for paint. Later this week will do alternator repair, belt replacement, and flush all fluid systems. Changing from green to red coolant after thorough flush, and flushing the PS fluid to replace with the recommended Dexron.
‘97 FZJ80
Stock. 3x locked (rear actuator not working)
E6C83385-D802-451C-9AEF-66A981E425FF.jpeg
49B48182-71F2-46B6-83C8-B4E3784B30B8.jpeg

And how could I forget my fancy schmancy wits’ end sticker. OG PHH replacement (289k) on the horizon - as well as wires, plugs, dizzy, and o-ring. Thanks @NLXTACY.
Also ID’d my oil leaks - all the usual suspects. Distributor, oil pump, front seal, and valve cover. Still searching for the small PS fluid leak.
8B8779AB-1006-41D1-902E-EF5DF872867D.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes work your way back from the led fixture to see where 12v os present
I did diode first and still no light
I determined that I had no voltage at the connector ahead of the diode
The opening and closing of hatch twists cable and eventually invisibly breaks coductor

had this issue - caused the door locks to randomly engage even when hatch wasn’t being used.

Thanks @SpenserAK for helping make her mine!! Waiting on one more to arrive...will post updates!

Update: @John Young, Ms. Slaghoople finally arrived!! Thank you so much! Not sure if this is where she will stay, but she looks good there for now. 😍

View attachment 2442158

View attachment 2442159
Thanks @SpenserAK for helping make her mine!! Waiting on one more to arrive...will post updates!
Update: @John Young , Ms. Slaghoople finally arrived!! Thank you so much!!! 😍
View attachment 2442158

View attachment 2442159

View attachment 2442158

View attachment 2442159
@John Young , Ms. Slaghoople finally arrived!! Thanks so much! Not sure that’s where she will stay, but she looks good there for now!! Y’all are the best! 🥰

View attachment 2442158

View attachment 2442159

327F8BE8-F668-4071-BF40-B9D8FE635EAB.jpeg

Got out for a little country dirt road drive on a beautiful autumn afternoon in Alabama.

FBE2DD10-A319-4B30-BF7F-7CFEEAAB1952.jpeg

Last edited:
Graduated to 37s

8D8F89B3-398F-4FE3-9556-F56919BC0FDF.jpeg

4EE97C14-C094-4912-A080-F625A89973E3.jpeg

20200927_111118.jpg

20200927_130544.jpg

20200927_143229.jpg

Pretty painless install minus the panhard bolt not wanting to break free at first. Had to pull the tire to get good leverage on it pushing down.

Huge improvement on the road. Went from constantly correcting on the highway to barely needing to guide the wheel.
10/10 would recommend.

Also drove this and sparked a bit of curiosity into the German world

20200926_111831.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom