CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Side question, and maybe directed to @Eric Sarjeant , is there a "best practice" place to mount the wifi antennas?

are you talking about the two black flat 1” by 4 inch wired antennae? I have heard them referred to as wifi antennas and as gps antennas. The latter makes more sense. Why would they have wifi antennas? I installed mine and there is no Naviplus wifi signal. Tjey must be gps antennae.

are you talking about the two black flat 1” by 4 inch wired antennae? I have heard them referred to as wifi antennas and as gps antennas. The latter makes more sense. Why would they have wifi antennas? I installed mine and there is no Naviplus wifi signal. Tjey must be gps antennae.
The NaviPlus unit generates a WiFi network. Your phone connects to that network for wireless CarPlay. One antenna is WiFi, one is gps.

Why would the Naviplus unit need a GPS signal? The whole point of using CarPlay is that you’re using the GPS and Internet connection on the iPhone for navigation, streaming, etc, The Naviplus does need a WiFi and/or Bluetooth signal, but only for a wireless CarPlay connection; otherwise the pairing to the phone is through USB.

OTOH, devices like the EC Offroad unit do have a GPS antenna because they also have an Android mode that can run apps like Google Maps without a need to have a phone tethered (unless you’re using the WiFi hotspot on the phone to give the device Internet access).

Why would the Naviplus unit need a GPS signal? The whole point of using CarPlay is that you’re using the GPS and Internet connection on the iPhone for navigation, streaming, etc, The Naviplus does need a WiFi and/or Bluetooth signal, but only for a wireless CarPlay connection; otherwise the pairing to the phone is through USB.

OTOH, devices like the EC Offroad unit do have a GPS antenna because they also have an Android mode that can run apps like Google Maps without a need to have a phone tethered (unless you’re using the WiFi hotspot on the phone to give the device Internet access).
I could certainly be wrong about the gps...Maybe they’re both WiFi antennas.

The NaviPlus unit generates a WiFi network. Your phone connects to that network for wireless CarPlay. One antenna is WiFi, one is gps.
So then what is the name of the wifi network? I am pretty sure i am connecting through bluetooth.

So then what is the name of the wifi network? I am pretty sure i am connecting through bluetooth.
The network name will start with “CarPlay”. It will only be visible when the unit is powered on. The unit also creates a Bluetooth connection. You need to be connected to both The BT and WiFi for wireless CarPlay. If you’re not connected to the BT point, you will not see a WiFi network.

The network name will start with “CarPlay”. It will only be visible when the unit is powered on. The unit also creates a Bluetooth connection. You need to be connected to both The BT and WiFi for wireless CarPlay. If you’re not connected to the BT point, you will not see a WiFi network.
ok, thank you. I will check it out. As bad as the installation instructions were, at least there was one. There was NO operating manual.

So here's an update on things. I installed the Naviplus unit myself, and it's working exactly as it should and as I had hoped. However, I no longer have climate control... When I press the Climate button I get the following message on the screen, and none of the climate control buttons work on the dash either.
climate_error.jpg

Just had mine professionally installed in Phoenix by Total Auto Pros. $285. They weren't excited about the job, but they got it done and install was clean. Dash panel looks great. No rattles or scratches. I chose not to splice into the factory USB. They concealed the IR sensor in one of the AC vents.

Can somebody run me through the correct configuration between BT and AUX for phone calls? I have the wired-only set up, no wireless CarPlay and no steering wheel control. I'm set to AUX and I've got music sounding great. Text messaging in CarPlay works great. However I can't seem to make any outgoing calls nor can I receive calls. Wife says it goes straight to VM.

Also, I can't help notice that the screen resolution in my 2017 looks worse than the screenshots of Eric's dash in post #1 of this thread and his CarPlay is on a black background while my CarPlay is on a white background.

Other observations: yes, the cameras come on the screen perfectly when shifting into R, then back to CarPlay when I shift to D, but having the cameras set to AUTO for when the vehicle slows to a stop activates the cameras correctly, but then the factory system goes to the factory GPS screen view when the vehicle starts to move again. You have to press and hold NAV to get back to CarPlay. Bummer.

Do you know if the factory USB and the 1.5mm aux jack each have their own connector? If not, the PAC connector won't work.
It is separate.

I have a 2018 and have been using the wireless connectivity to Naviplus CarPlay for several weeks without issue. However, I decided to install the wired connection today while retaining the factory USB / aux port. I wanted a clean and reversible install and don’t mind losing the wired connection to Entune since I now use CarPlay exclusively - although I read that other installers have spliced wires to potentially give both worlds or have the ability to tap the truck’s beefier 5V power supply and combine with the data signal from the Naviplus.

First, I pulled up and out the double cup holder in the center console (4 tabs - open the door, hold the door with both hands and gently but firmly pull upwards and slightly forward to release). I fed the female end of the USB cable from the center dash and underneath the center console (gear shifter) to this area below the center cup holder (green circle). You can also pull the center console (gear shifter) section up very easily if you are either already in the middle of the Naviplus install or have taken the lower dash apart again. I then disconnected the brown MX39 style connector (circled in purple) underneath the grey plastic cover. To access it, simply squeeze to release the recessed tabs (2 red arrows) securing the grey plastic cover with a set of thin needle nosed pliers.
Pic 1.jpeg

In the meantime I had purchased the PAC USB-TY2 cable from Sonic Electronic PAC USB-TY2 Toyota OEM USB Port Retention Cable for $11 excl. shipping.
Pic 2.jpg

I then connected the unplugged brown male end that leads to the USB port, to the brown female connector of the new PAC USB-TY2 cable. I hooked the other end of the PAC USB-TY2 cable to the USB female end of the cable connected to the Naviplus.
Pic 3.jpg

Secured with a couple of zip ties and dropped the drinks holder back in. Now that gives me the factory look with charging and wired connection to CarPlay.

It is separate.

I have a 2018 and have been using the wireless connectivity to Naviplus CarPlay for several weeks without issue. However, I decided to install the wired connection today while retaining the factory USB / aux port. I wanted a clean and reversible install and don’t mind losing the wired connection to Entune since I now use CarPlay exclusively - although I read that other installers have spliced wires to potentially give both worlds or have the ability to tap the truck’s beefier 5V power supply and combine with the data signal from the Naviplus.

First, I pulled up and out the double cup holder in the center console (4 tabs - open the door, hold the door with both hands and gently but firmly pull upwards and slightly forward to release). I fed the female end of the USB cable from the center dash and underneath the center console (gear shifter) to this area below the center cup holder (green circle). You can also pull the center console (gear shifter) section up very easily if you are either already in the middle of the Naviplus install or have taken the lower dash apart again. I then disconnected the brown MX39 style connector (circled in purple) underneath the grey plastic cover. To access it, simply squeeze to release the recessed tabs (2 red arrows) securing the grey plastic cover with a set of thin needle nosed pliers.
View attachment 2451261

In the meantime I had purchased the PAC USB-TY2 cable from Sonic Electronic PAC USB-TY2 Toyota OEM USB Port Retention Cable for $11 excl. shipping.
View attachment 2451262
I then connected the unplugged brown male end that leads to the USB port, to the brown female connector of the new PAC USB-TY2 cable. I hooked the other end of the PAC USB-TY2 cable to the USB female end of the cable connected to the Naviplus.
View attachment 2451263
Secured with a couple of zip ties and dropped the drinks holder back in. Now that gives me the factory look with charging and wired connection to CarPlay.

Thank you for the detailed write up!

It is separate.

View attachment 2451261

View attachment 2451262
View attachment 2451263
Thanks for write up
Is that a cover over your shifter area? If so where did u get it?

Thanks for write up
Is that a cover over your shifter area? If so where did u get it?
Yes, it’s a transmission cover from Escape Gear. It doesn’t really cover much due to all the functionality packed into the 200’s center console but I use it for the extra storage the saddle bags provide, which hang either side.

for a stronger gps signal...at least in theory. The alpine wireless carplay unit in my 100 has its own gps antenna too.

glad to see there is a CarPlay option for 200s. My wife and love it so much we wouldn’t consider a new or new to us vehicle without it or the option to add it.

Can I continue to listen to the factory AM/FM or XM audio while in the CarPlay mode?

Can I continue to listen to the factory AM/FM or XM audio while in the CarPlay mode?
You can listen to the factory radio, but you won't have audio for your CarPlay apps. So for example, if you're in CarPlay navigating via GoogleMaps, and you're listening to FM, you won't hear the GoogleMaps audio. This is because CarPlay transmits audio using the "Aux" source input. If you change the source to anything else, no CarPlay audio.

You can listen to the factory radio, but you won't have audio for your CarPlay apps. So for example, if you're in CarPlay navigating via GoogleMaps, and you're listening to FM, you won't hear the GoogleMaps audio. This is because CarPlay transmits audio using the "Aux" source input. If you change the source to anything else, no CarPlay audio.

Thanks for the explanation. I had a feeling there was a catch to it. Too bad they cannot figure out a way to merge the audio, but at least I can listen the radio's XM without using my phones data.

When you guys are ordering this stuff, are you getting it through Eric or NaviPlus? If through Eric, are you calling him directly or contacting him using another method? I originally thought my 2018 was a capacitive touch screen, but after using the eraser on a pencil on my phone (which didn't work) then on my headunit (which did) it seems I have the resistive screen. Is there another method used to verify? Or is that something Eric/his team can look up when ordering?

I've heard several questions about a local Denver shop that could install these. I was thinking PDA Road Gear. They did the install on my old Sequoia. I put in the Alpine ILX-F309 and iDataLink Maestro unit. Once I get an answer about the preferred purchase location, I'll get on it. Just trying to pick a song out using PlexAmp on my phone (which doesn't display any track/album/artist info on the headunit) is getting dangerous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom