Tools for C-channel Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have an air chisel gun... I think one of the keys is to have a high strength alloy chisels, as the ones that usually come with the cheap hammers are too soft and deform too much, IMHO. Also recommend at least on longer chisel so you can get some leverage.

Don't forget really good hearing protection, beer for your neighbors & lots of patience.

Some rivets come right out, some not so much. A few are just friggin hard to reach.
I found that drilling into the rivets a bit seemed to help with the stubborn ones. I think it would help if you could heat the rivets with an induction tool but that theory is untested.

Good luck !

get a hammer with a long barrel. These deliver harder slower hits than the shorter ones.

This is the one I use. Works well on Toyota rivets!

Amazon product ASIN B005MVB4RU

Hell, let's just do it in camp at Fall Crawl, at night, to drown out the din of the Jeep crowds generators!

I picked up the IR 118MAXK like @matzell plus the short IR 122MAXK as well. They're beasts. A "I only buy Snap-On" friend was even impressed by them.

Amazon product ASIN B005MVB4SY
I have to say the cheaper ones can be nice - until you try a better one and realize the difference. ;)
I had a lesser one until I had to pop rivets out to replace ball joints on the Yukon and it might as well have just been making noise (which it was doing a lot of). The 118 got them right out.

While you're buying tools, you might also want a needle scaler to knock the rust off the parts you're keeping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom