New 71 FJ55 owner (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I accidentally acquired a 71 FJ55 this weekend, in an effort to save it from being scrapped. Happened on it locally, had just been dragged out of someone’s back yard during a large clean up. I made an offer and the owner agreed, so now it’s sitting in my yard instead....

originally I grabbed it just for the PTO winch to use on my 40 series I’m rebuilding. But now looking at it , the 55 is very complete and worth saving. Frame is clean and solid. The truck is 100% complete, and had an old box of oem parts that we’re to be used for its restoration at one time. The guy I got it from bought it from its original owner who purchased it new in 1970 and kept it on the road up in Maine until 1990 (based on the plates that are still on it). He started to restore it him self and rebuild the front axle and all the brakes before putting it out in the woods...

It will need some extensive rust repair to the lower sections of the body, but the majority of the structure is solid. Rear quarters, rockers, fenders, front floor pans all need help. It came with 4 new white wagon wheels still in their boxes too.

Not sure what I will do with it at this point, or when I’ll get to it but initially thinking of a mild resto-mod build. I’m repowering my 80 series with a 6.0LS this winter and will have a good running 1FZ-E and auto trans that needs a new home. The wheel base of the FJ55 would accommodate this package well I think. Will be a shame to say bye to the column shifted 3spd but I never really enjoyed driving that combination anyway.

Anyway, pipe dreams aside, here are a few pics from this weekend.

E2832CDC-2E95-430E-9155-85394B807554.jpeg

036C2F40-0EA8-4990-9BDB-B3F9168B1845.jpeg

DEB61DE2-D6B9-4C2A-ADD7-14C63455F70F.jpeg

2D0AAD23-6233-4DE5-AA29-F7C4B147983C.jpeg

918D8E6C-752A-4322-A7CD-36EA7BFF9F29.jpeg

Nice score!!!

Glad you saved this Piggy from scrap.

I think you might have company in New Hampshire - a gentleman who might know where to get some rust repair panels...

Pics of all the restoration parts?
Yes, I have already hit Bob up... I havent had a chance to clean it out yet, will get more pics of the progress and what there is to work with. Not a huge pile of parts, but a box full anyway.

Yes, I have already hit Bob up... I havent had a chance to clean it out yet, will get more pics of the progress and what there is to work with. Not a huge pile of parts, but a box full anyway.
Bob would put tires on it and drive it across country tomorrow. I've seen him do it.

Wow. That pressure washing made a tremendous difference. What's the original paint code?
Not sure, havent dug into it yet, but it was a cream color from the factory and then the original owner had it repainted at the dealer this lovely shade of brown (apparently he had all of his vehicles painted this color...).

There are a few I travel all over this state for work always looking for know there is one early 70s over in Turner but m always in a crane hard to get a pic driving by

accidentally acquired a 71 FJ55 this weekend,

congratulations. Pretty weird saying that about an accident.:deadhorse:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom