A440 to 4-speed question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Yep. After digging deeper and contacting the gent who gave me the transmission, I've learned it is indeed a late model four speed. So yeah, I definitely need that adapter piece or the split case would not assemble correctly.

Agreed about it being cheaper, potentially, to source an entire transmission versus asking someone for just the adapter. This is the project that never ends for me and it's frustrating to realize I'm missing such a critical part.

Again, I really appreciate the help from everyone.
At least you’re not in catastrophic territory. This is pretty easy to fix, relatively speaking.

Everyone can chuckle a bit but there is an option of the input gear w/ the longer spacer attached, like a long shoulder. @OTRAMM used one in his tcase rebuild video. Here’s a screenshot.

AE41C9AC-39AE-4F74-B5BC-3A2CAD31E02C.png

Realize too that I know nothing of a 5 speed.... and didn’t just say something stoopid.

Last edited:
Everyone can chuckle a bit but there is an option of the input gear w/ the longer spacer attached, like a long shoulder. @OTRAMM used one in his tcase rebuild video. Here’s a screenshot.

Realize too that I know nothing of a 5 speed.... and didn’t just say something stoopid.

@DoubleNickels issue is not the spacer inside the transmission. It the big cast extension housing on the back of the 85-87 H42

as seen in red/orange in this picture

@DoubleNickels I have an 85-87 transmission taking up room in my shop that needs to go, and no one seems to want it. The extension housing is yours for shipping. PM me your info.

8E40247E-0E2F-4EF8-927D-EDB281C8735B.jpeg

@DoubleNickels issue is not the spacer inside the transmission. It the big cast extension housing on the back of the 85-87 H42

as seen in red/orange in this picture

@DoubleNickels I have an 85-87 transmission taking up room in my shop that needs to go, and no one seems to want it. The extension housing is yours for shipping. PM me your info.

View attachment 2441887
Ah duh. That’s what happens when you don’t fully read the thread. My mistake, sorry for the waylay!
Matt is one of the best most helpful guys here on mud! 👏👏

[/QUOTE]

Much appreciated @cruisermatt , but Georg at Valley Hybrids (@orangefj45) has already saved the day for me. Georg is the man.

And yes, just to clarify for everyone's sake:

1) Big dumb cast thing: Referred to by Toyota as an "Adapter", though most of us are calling it a spacer as it spaces the 4-speed body apart from the split case.
2) Round cast/machined spacer: Referred to by Toyota as a "spacer", and confusingly called both a "spacer" and a "gear stop" on SOR.com. Item #35, below.

SOR.jpg

In my case I needed both, which Georg is providing.

Calvin

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom