SOLD 1961 FJ40, driver restoration rust free Arizona truck in MA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 40 Series
Color
Red
Time to put up an official ad for this truck. The Little Red Lobster is for sale.
Back on the Market. Pig and an FJ45 SWB inbound, something has to give. Price reduced, $14,500

i-gBXtDdZ-L.jpg

1961 (first year import) Factory Hard Top FJ40. Almost Freeborn Red (see below).
- Arizona truck resurrected by @JackA and documented in The Rattle Can Rebuild thread. Extensive documentation and pics there of the original condition of the truck and Jack's work to bring it back. As the name suggests, yes it is Rustoleum Regal red painted.
- I picked up the truck from Jack last spring. I had it shipped to Virginia for a few months where @matzell did some good work on it to bring it to the finish line. I retired from the Navy in July, and the truck was shipped north to Maine for the summer and then down here to New Hampshire where it sits in my garage. Lots of description of the additional work done as well as a lot of pics of the truck in various places around Acadia national park. The Little Red Lobster

Why sell? - Simple, I found my long desired FJ45. Completely done. For now, there can be only one so this truck and my 67 patina rig go.

i-vdgkdRT-L.jpg

$14,500
- 1961 FJ40 - First year, under 300 imported by my Mud research
- Factory Hard top model. I do not have a hard top
- Besttop soft top is included. Grey, great condition, split soft doors. Just ugly
- 1985 2F motor. New water pump, alternator rebuild, FJ60 distributor, full reseal, new oil pan. Belts, hoses, etc. 150+ on compression testing, good motor.
- Motor is dressed as an F - Air cleaner, carb, intake, exhaust. Old style thermostat housing. Old style oil filter bracket without cooler. Simple.
- Complete new exhaust from downpipe back
- Just rebuilt 1972 F carb by @65swb45 (July 2020)
- 3 speed with floor shift. New clutch, pressure plate, flywheel resurfaced. New cylinders MC and slave by Jack.. Resealed.
- 3 speed t-case with floor shift. Resealed.
- Original axles (centered rear)
- Later model 3 speed driveshafts with new U-joints
- New brake cylinders and shoes all around
- New brake MC. Soft lines
- Knuckle job by JackA before I got it
- New shocks
-new suspension bushings
- 5 new Maxxis Bighorn 30x9.5 MTs with ~400 miles
- OEM welded/disc toyota wheels.

i-ngwxsRZ-L.jpg

i-DvTbqS9-L.jpg

i-KMTNShn-L.jpg

i-dv5CmLd-L.jpg

i-b9gNhJ4-L.jpg

i-VqDcsnV-L.jpg

Negatives/needs -
- She was called the rattle can rebuild, and is a 10 footer. A good 10 footer, but not perfect. Like the middle aged former cheerleader who's taken care of herself, really fun to ride but if you get too close she isn't quite what she once was. There are a couple of tiny bubbles on the rear sill. A few runs here and there, etc. She's a driver.
- Windshield wipers not wired. I have the harness for that. I've been lazy, and she only sees sunny days.
- Horn doesn't work. Contact in the button missing, unobtainium or nearly so.
- Besttop included. Ugly, intact, works.
i-Z7jfDV2-S.jpg

Posting before I change my mind (again) ;):cheers:

Last edited:
Reserved for more Pics. Close ups to come, just needed to get the ad up before I changed my mind.

EDIT: I know where there is an early corrugated top in decent condition if that helps the decision process. I also know where there might be a set of doors fairly close as well.

Here are some pics from today. Quick, a little dusty as she's sharing the garage with a table saw.

20200916_160206_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160219_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160238_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160259-L.jpg

20200916_160303_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160311_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160318_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160356_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160418_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160444_HDR-L.jpg

Last edited:
More pics. Sorry for the dust.
20200916_160059-L.jpg

20200916_160108_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_155904-L.jpg

20200916_155913_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_155926_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_155940_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160012_HDR-L.jpg

That's mud. There is some undercoating but it is clean underneath.
20200916_160153_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160200_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160023_HDR-L.jpg

20200916_160131-L.jpg

Been reading the rattle can rebuild. Great truck. Great story. GLWS. Hope it goes to a fellow mudder. And thanks for your service!
Thanks. I really want the good story to continue as well. It's only advertised here on Mud for now.

Lots of gorgeous weather to enjoy this truck.
i-qbB2nvR-L.jpg

i-BT8jx5H-L.jpg

Indeed, Southwest Harbor and Manset (seawall) ME. A few pics from Northeast Harbor as well. I grew up there, one of my favorite places.

Bunch of enablers on this board.
View attachment 2442373
To be 100% sure that @wngrog remains dizzy, and I look ridiculously indecisive, I've decided to keep the Lobster. Too hard to find a replacement when I realize my error. The little devil on the shoulder whispering "keep it, finish it" won.

YEAH!!!!!

Lobster. I like that name. Make it your truck, because it is.

I now definitely have too many. There is a 1969 Pig inbound, along with my FJ45 SWB ready to come home.

Big price drop to move it. Truck is currently in Athol MA, inside. Easy load for a shipper.

I know you have spent that much on it. That’s a great deal for someone with an honest seller. I’ll pass it around
Thank Nolen. Quite a bit deeper than that in the end, but as you certainly know that's how these things go. I need a quick move before I change my mind. Again.

This will not help🙄, but as years have gone by and countless cruisers have come and gone, I find myself finally content with 4! A 40fst, 45lpb, 47 Troopy, and a 60. You now have a 40, pig, and a sweet 45 shorty. I feel like they are my extended family! If you don’t need to sell it($$) I would keep it! But I do know freeing up space and money are important these days. With all the junk out there for 15k, this rig should sell quick, it has great provenance!

This will not help🙄, but as years have gone by and countless cruisers have come and gone, I find myself finally content with 4! A 40fst, 45lpb, 47 Troopy, and a 60. You now have a 40, pig, and a sweet 45 shorty. I feel like they are my extended family! If you don’t need to sell it($$) I would keep it! But I do know freeing up space and money are important these days. With all the junk out there for 15k, this rig should sell quick, it has great provenance!
Believe me, I battle this. Hell, I battle it publicly with myself in my own threads. My Dad accumulated literal buildings full of projects over the years, where they still are (unfinished). He rarely had more than 1 collector vehicle roadworthy. I'm avoiding that, but I also am trying hard to avoid keeping them all just for the sake of hanging on. Will this 40 be the last one I ever own? I am 99.9% certain it will not be, so there is certainly an argument to just keep it. But, for now, someone else will enjoy it and use it a lot more than me. In the end, it's as much about freeing headspace as it is physical space or $$.

@navydivedoc I would be happy to store it down here but the mileage would go up while you waited to retrieve it. Haha!,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom