CarPlay works in a 2020 Land Cruiser (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well, my wife and i just got finished. Took us 5 hours to install the Naviplus!. She is a retired chemical engineer, very smart and good with tools and troubleshooting. We actually enjoy working on projects together. Especially on our beloved 200 series Land Cruiser. We installed our ARB drawers together. Took out our third row and half of our second row seats together, and figured out how to add a resister so our airbag warning system so it wouldnt come on after removing the second row seat. We look forward to installing our new Gobi roof rack when it arrives. But i have to admit, the instructions that came with the Navilplus were woefully inadequate. And we were frustrated and bewildered a little. We could have afforded to have a shop do it for us, but we felt we have already spoiled ourselves enough with the purchase of the Land Cruiser, and the Naviplus, we just felt like paying some of our dues with good hard work.

And when doing it ourselves, we know it was done properly. I'm always horrified when I see photos of what some supposedly professional shops are capable of doing.

Before having a shop do it for you, I would strongly suggest requesting to see some of their work and references.

Personally, I dropped my truck off at a place I have been using for over 20 years. I picked it up a few hours later. I have had no problems with my unit whatsoever. I have wireless CarPlay, steering wheel controls, my unit charges on the factory charger, etc. etc.

The same shop had installed an override in my 2008 that allowed access to the video screen and functions while underway. So it is different for each person.

Well, I have had mine installed for over a week now and I have to say I am disappointed. Both wireless and usb, I am unable to answer a phone call via car play, I have to pick up the iPhone and switch to use the phone itself. 75% of the time it does connect via bluetooth/wireless, I have to toggle from "bluetooth" to "Aux" and back to "bluetooth" again for the sound to work, I have to do the same thing if car play tries to read a text, which does not work either.

I dont know if I expected too much from the unit, but basic ability for it to connect and also answer a phone call are pretty vital. Is anyone else having similar issues with theirs?

Personally, I dropped my truck off at a place I have been using for over 20 years. I picked it up a few hours later. I have had no problems with my unit whatsoever. I have wireless CarPlay, steering wheel controls, my unit charges on the factory charger, etc. etc.

The same shop had installed an override in my 2008 that allowed access to the video screen and functions while underway. So it is different for each person.
It's great that you've got a local shop you can trust; I'd love to be in that position because I'd be willing to pay someone to do some of the projects that I don't particularly enjoy doing. Unfortunately, many of us aren't so fortunate. The place that I had replace the factory audio system in my 2008 Highlander did a terrible job (including scratching up some of the trim panels). I would never go back there and there aren't many other options in the immediate area that I'm aware of and none that I've heard great things about. I'm sure there must be a good car audio place somewhere in the Boston area, but I'm certainly not going to let some random shop touch my Land Cruiser.

Installing something like the Naviplus or EC Offroad unit really is pretty simple once you have accurate instructions for what connections are needed. We got there with the EC Offroad unit by a combination of following the included instructions and asking them questions until we got clear answers. Taking the required portion of the dashboard apart and putting it back together is something the average DIYer should have no problem with as long as they purchase a proper trim removal tool, some blue painters tape, watch the video in the thread @DomSmith posted the link to, and take it slow. The only parts that might get a bit tricky are running the cable for the microphone for the NaviPlus and coming up with a slick permanent location for the CarPlay USB port (or all 3 USB ports in the case of the EC Offroad unit).

Also, this is largely a DIY forum, so it really shouldn't come as a shock when someone decides to do something on their own.

It's the same thing with things like rock slider installs. If I lived near Slee or BudBuilt, it would be a heck of a lot easier to answer the questions of do I want to get rock sliders and if so, which option to go with. Here in the Boston area, there are very few good options for this type of install. There are a few Land Cruiser friendly shops around, but I've heard horror stories about some of them.

Well, I have had mine installed for over a week now and I have to say I am disappointed. Both wireless and usb, I am unable to answer a phone call via car play, I have to pick up the iPhone and switch to use the phone itself. 75% of the time it does connect via bluetooth/wireless, I have to toggle from "bluetooth" to "Aux" and back to "bluetooth" again for the sound to work, I have to do the same thing if car play tries to read a text, which does not work either.

I dont know if I expected too much from the unit, but basic ability for it to connect and also answer a phone call are pretty vital. Is anyone else having similar issues with theirs?

I had the same issue wireless. I do not connect by usb so I cannot speak to that. For wireless however, the issue arises if your bluetooth is connected to the car. Make sure you fully disconnect Bluetooth between your phone and your LC. Then make sure audio source is set to AUX then connect wirelessly to CarPlay. Audio should work consistently from there on including your phone (assuming you installed the mic of course ;)).

I had the same issue wireless. I do not connect by usb so I cannot speak to that. For wireless however, the issue arises if your bluetooth is connected to the car. Make sure you fully disconnect Bluetooth between your phone and your LC. Then make sure audio source is set to AUX then connect wirelessly to CarPlay. Audio should work consistently from there on including your phone (assuming you installed the mic of course ;)).
Thank you, I will give that a try!

My unit is on its way and should be here by the end of the week. I'm curious, for those of you who are not cannibalizing the factory USB port, where are you mounting the new one for the Naviplus? I was hoping to put the new USB port in one of the blank switch locations near the shifter, but after a little research it sounds like those aren't actually usable. I'd love to hear what you all think.

My unit is on its way and should be here by the end of the week. I'm curious, for those of you who are not cannibalizing the factory USB port, where are you mounting the new one for the Naviplus? I was hoping to put the new USB port in one of the blank switch locations near the shifter, but after a little research it sounds like those aren't actually usable. I'd love to hear what you all think.
You should either add your car info to your signature or mention what year you have as there are slight differences on where switches are located on different model years.

You should either add your car info to your signature or mention what year you have as there are slight differences on where switches are located on different model years.
Oops, good point haha. I'm brand new here and that was actually my first post/comment. I have a 2020 200 Series Heritage Edition.

To clarify, these are the locations where I would have liked to mount the new USB port:
center_control_console.jpg

My unit actually came in ahead of schedule and arrived today. Here's what the USB port looks like on mine. It's not the round style connector that other people seem to have received. I think this probably opens up some alternate/simpler mounting and routing options, but I'm curious to hear what you all think.
IMG_5596.jpg

My unit actually came in ahead of schedule and arrived today. Here's what the USB port looks like on mine. It's not the round style connector that other people seem to have received. I think this probably opens up some alternate/simpler mounting and routing options, but I'm curious to hear what you all think.
View attachment 2444061
You should also have the round port. The cable in your photo plugs in to the back of the round port.

To clarify, these are the locations where I would have liked to mount the new USB port:
View attachment 2443702

I did not want to do it as a permanent install since the unit is brand new and relatively untested, cannibalizing the factory USB and cutting holes was a no-go for me. I had my installer bring the USB and IR sensor out onto the passenger side of the center console, right where your white iPhone cable from your photo goes out of sight. This gave me a nice clean install that's 100% reversible if I chose to undo it in the future.

I did not want to do it as a permanent install since the unit is brand new and relatively untested, cannibalizing the factory USB and cutting holes was a no-go for me. I had my installer bring the USB and IR sensor out onto the passenger side of the center console, right where your white iPhone cable from your photo goes out of sight. This gave me a nice clean install that's 100% reversible if I chose to undo it in the future.
Oh nice, I like the idea of that. Do you have a picture of what that looks like? And where did the microphone end up?

Oh nice, I like the idea of that. Do you have a picture of what that looks like? And where did the microphone end up?

I can grab a photo in a few hours, we put the microphone coming out of the driver side A-pillar where the upper corner of the windshield is, for me that was out of sight. I was going to do behind the rear view mirror but saving that area for future dash-cam install.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom