New Badland Apex 12,000 lb. Winch (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not sure about the extended on the winch, but if it's anything like the extended plans on their power tools, it's well worth it :)

My guys have gone through a bunch of jacks, sanders, drills, air tools, etc., etc. and their policy is simply throw it behind the counter and give us a new one, no questions asked :cool:

We have several outlets nearby, which makes it much easier than chasing down a tool truck for warranty

Once you buy the extended warranty though which I am sure it's $100 minimum, you're at $580 + for the Apex which is close enough in price where might as well go with the Warn

Once you buy the extended warranty though which I am sure it's $100 minimum, you're at $580 + for the Apex which is close enough in price where might as well go with the Warn
Let's be honest here though, that extended warranty covers the whole winch for either three to five years. The Warn doesn't come close to that warranty.
I love the Warn M, or XD series of winches, and think they're worth every penny. Their "introductory" line isn't better than the HF winches, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shared internal parts with some of them.

Let's be honest here though, that extended warranty covers the whole winch for either three to five years. The Warn doesn't come close to that warranty.
I love the Warn M, or XD series of winches, and think they're worth every penny. Their "introductory" line isn't better than the HF winches, and I wouldn't be surprised if they shared internal parts with some of them.

I agree. Another full day of thinking about it I'm leaning towards an actual Warn. There's a local relatively new Warn 9.5 xp for $800 that's tempting me. But this thread is about the Apex so I'll try and stop deviating from that

I tend to agree that build quality is probably very similar, but Warn seem to have the better warranty. HF's extended warranty is 1-2 years, Warn is 7 years electrical and limited lifetime for the mechanics. I'm not not a HF hater or a Warn fanboy, just reporting what I've found during some research as I'm also debating between the two.

I tend to agree that build quality is probably very similar, but Warn seem to have the better warranty. HF's extended warranty is 1-2 years, Warn is 7 years electrical and limited lifetime for the mechanics. I'm not not a HF hater or a Warn fanboy, just reporting what I've found during some research as I'm also debating between the two.
I'd totally agree on that point. I just think that personally, I would either save up to run the higher quality Warn line I previously mentioned, or just be happy running the HF winch (which I do, without issue).

Does the cheap Warn come with a synthetic line aluminum hawse fairlead and wireless remote?

No, the hawse fairlead and synthetic line is extra and adds quite a bit to the price of the winch. The HF really seems to be a lot of winch for the money.

Price just dropped on the Apex.
Screenshot_20200904-125038.png

Pricing from Quadratec.com as of 9/04/20 for comparison.
Smittybilt doesn't have a wireless remote if I recall correctedly. Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty
The budget warn has lifetime mechanical and 7 year electrical warranty. I believe it does come with a wireless remote.
1599244953324.png

Smittybilt doesn't have a wireless remote if I recall correctedly. Lifetime Mechanical Warranty and a 5-Year Electrical Warranty
The budget warn has lifetime mechanical and 7 year electrical warranty. I believe it does come with a wireless remote.

If I am understanding your photo, the budget warn is mid $800's and doesn't have a synthetic line. It is getting to the point where you can buy 2 of the Apex's for the price of the alternative and I am highly doubtful you'd have an outright failure in that time frame.

I am not sure if they still offer coupons since they change the entire policy on discounts, coupons and catalogs.

1599267987448.png

It look's like that the Badland winches are not excluded on the current 20% coupon.

Bought one of these Apex 12k winches to go inside of my new Ironman4x4 bumper, will report later

The smittybilt does have a wireless remote; it's integrated into the same unit as the wired one.

As promised, finally installed both the Ironman 4x4 bumper as well as the Apex Winch.
Initial impressions (I have zero experiences with winches to be fair): actually a well made, very complete unit with everything most people could possibly need. Every nut, bolt, extension wires, etc, are there to use. The components do not feel like low grade and was sorta surprised because of the cost compared to other nicer name brand winches (again, no experience here). The Ironman bumper luckily is a large bumper where clearance wasn’t an issue and the only thing needed was to remove the control box and mount it on top of the bumper which required me drilling two holes. Wires were long enough to run all the way to the battery with plenty of slack. The remote works well and the battery kill switch is a nice added accessory. Overall for $480, I don’t see how you can do better minus the 90 day warranty.
E56B40B5-460A-4B4E-A4E1-A27E4EB2BADE.jpeg

672AA24A-7085-48E2-9757-6DE5A47E9988.jpeg

4D8A4EAA-6B2B-45CF-A54B-678641F6BBFB.jpeg

FABB279C-9577-4AE5-9899-B482D526544A.jpeg

7BB1EC36-0590-4098-95A3-94E74F2E67AB.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom