New 66 fj45lv (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Agreed to buy yesterday. Will trailer it home later this week.
previously restored in 2010. Obviously cared for over the years. Plan on getting rid of the Chevy swap this spring,
Thinking of putting 2f in it but looking for suggestions from others. I’ve never owned a cruiser with a swap and I know others will say keep it to drive but it’s hard for me to work through that one. We’re Toyota folks and I’d like some form of originality while keeping it where we can drive it.
like to hear what others have done?
once I trailer it and get her home I’ll post more pics.
9B237E3C-71D1-4F72-9045-76E07F8F8BA4.jpeg

Congrats on your purchase! Looking forward to following this!

Dale
I was thinking of you when we were there. It is far nicer then we deserve. Gonna be a fun one!!

I have a kidney for sale if anyone wants one!!

It is a somber purchase for sure. Seller battling cancer and was super nice guy. Just hope and pray he does well in the future.

While I won’t try to sway you one way or the other on the motor, there are benefits to keeping what it has for now and driving until you’re ready to swap in a Toyota motor.

You can drive it around and work out any bugs, rattles, etc. You can get a feel for the heat and noise in the cab, freeway qualities, blah blah blah. Similar to living in a new home with an old kitchen. Best to live in it awhile to get a better feel for what you want rather than gutting it on day one.

Or just drop in a Toyota and be done with it. Ha ha.

Congratulations!

While I won’t try to sway you one way or the other on the motor, there are benefits to keeping what it has for now and driving until you’re ready to swap in a Toyota motor.

You can drive it around and work out any bugs, rattles, etc. You can get a feel for the heat and noise in the cab, freeway qualities, blah blah blah. Similar to living in a new home with an old kitchen. Best to live in it awhile to get a better feel for what you want rather than gutting it on day one.

Or just drop in a Toyota and be done with it. Ha ha.

Congratulations!
Dom
That's exactly what we intend on doing. Important thing is to get it cleaned up and put her inside. The restoration was a good one from what I can tell. Gonna spend a weekend cleaning, waxing it to protect what we got. No hurry on swap as the BJ45 will probably take up our winter months. We are use to the noises and rattles. However when it was restored it had sound dampening installed everywhere. I am anxious to feel and hear how well this works!
Cheers
Jon

Kudos Jon - looks like a great one!
Dale — Steamboat is looking more and more like LV Town USA.

— Makes my 64 look like a smudge hahaha.
If the floor pan in this new one suddenly vanishes one day.... don’t come knocking on my door!!

Last edited:
Nice! seems like a couple of Steamboat peeps here.....If you see a red '79 FJ40 with a black roof rack tooling around tell Malcolm his brother from VT says hello!

Today is the day the LV comes home. Soon as the Alma Maters FB game is over we are taking the gooseneck to Denver and load it up.

Pics to follow!!!

Well it’s home, PO put battery in that was too tall so I slapped old one in it and she started right up.
backed her down then she died but not enough juice to restart.
AE76E37E-302B-45ED-86A6-776DBFDD7E2A.jpeg
59DFAA72-11AD-41A0-BC3B-E8A750CF087C.jpeg
81892F07-A9CD-43AB-A414-1A01CF901B2F.jpeg

Off to Napa for appropriate battery, starter and temperature probe.

We immediately removed the black electrical tape pin striping and stickers on window.

Need to find some seat belts, anyone have any suggestions??

Our faithful lab was instrumental in helping remove straps

Oh that’s a beauty Jon, drive her on up north this afternoon I’ll make you a sandwich.
Dale
I never turn down food, I need to get the temp gauge repaired before she goes anywhere far from home. But if your coming to town come on out and I will make something for you!!

Ash you are right, I need to find the acorn caps indeed!!

Kim and I just took her a short ways down the road and OMG. I have never driven a cruiser with Chevy swap, the power is insane. The 4 speed is screaming for a 5th gear, literally!! Quite the contrast from when we drove the troopy to NAPA a little while ago. I can easily see why folks do this swap (can't believe I just said that).

Wanders some but pretty much my other do to.

More to come as I climb around this LV today!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom