Official 37" and up picture thread (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have been struggling with this same decision. They key reason to go with 37s is for 2 inches of increased clearance although some probably just like the appearance. With 35s I get very good clearance and maximum stuff of the tire in the wheel well and no rubbing. My question for those that have 37s is the clearance you gain worth the attenuation you lose due to loss of tire clearance?
Yes, But only if you play in the big rocks.

I need some advice. I am looking at moving up to 37s and I know that everyone is running 37x12.5 but I was thinking of running a 13.5 tire. The wheeIs I am looking at are from Battleborn. They have some bead locks with a 3.5" backspace and a 4.5", which would be best for the 13.5" tire?
I have 13.5 width 37's and with my wheels and spacers it's the equivalent of 3.25" backspacing. I ran them a bit without the wheel spacers (4.75" BS) and they fit but definitely a bit more rubbing at full lock in the front and also the inside of the wheel wells in the rear when flexed.

I have been struggling with this same decision. They key reason to go with 37s is for 2 inches of increased clearance although some probably just like the appearance. With 35s I get very good clearance and maximum stuff of the tire in the wheel well and no rubbing. My question for those that have 37s is the clearance you gain worth the attenuation you lose due to loss of tire clearance?

Yeah, me too, I go around and around, arguing myself in circles about this choice.
Going to 37s is definitely a commitment - with many ways to screw up - and cost yourself trouble and money to solve.
@Tools R Us described it as threading the needle, which I believe.
On the other hand, going 35s is pretty much an easy success, without much risk (assuming you've paid any attention at all to what people here have written).
No doubt in my mind - 35s is the more practical path.

However, there is one more reported advantage to 37s in addition to the 1" added ground clearance - the larger diameter smooths bumps because it hits at a smaller angle, so you might feel like you are running a lower tire pressure. On wash-boarded roads, it will be closer to riding across just the crowns. A nice advantage for those long dirt road approaches to the trail.

Plus - all the cool kids have 'em :cool:

Last edited:
Going from 4” lift on 35’s to 5” lift on 37’s was a big game changer as it pertains to my experience on the Rubicon trail where I’ve don’t most of my rock crawling. Remember that the radius of the 37 is larger which smooths out the smaller bumps more and aides in transitioning up onto larger rocks and ledges.

I won’t leave out the fact that I also realized a noticeable loss of acceleration, braking performance and a general degradation of handling. If it helps off road performance, it’s going to hurt on road performance.

I have 13.5 width 37's and with my wheels and spacers it's the equivalent of 3.25" backspacing. I ran them a bit without the wheel spacers (4.75" BS) and they fit but definitely a bit more rubbing at full lock in the front and also the inside of the wheel wells in the rear when flexed.

I have been messing around with numbers on tiresize.com website and trying to figure out what tire is best. But honestly at this point I think I will just run 37x12.5x17 using Sequoia wheels and 1" or 1.25" spacers.

I have been messing around with numbers on tiresize.com website and trying to figure out what tire is best. But honestly at this point I think I will just run 37x12.5x17 using Sequoia wheels and 1" or 1.25" spacers.

Sounds like a good plan. You should be able to save considerable money on the 7.5JJx17 ET15 Sequoia/Tundra wheels if you shop patiently on craigslist. But have to buy the hub spacers. That's exactly what @Tools R Us was running, plus others too, I think. Well proven. He wrote that he had 1.25" spacers but was getting pretty close to bodywork on the outside and would go with 1" spacers if he was to do again.
ET15=positive 15mm wheel offset.
1" hub spacer = negative 25.4mm offset
So - the total is simply added together = -10.4mm (-0.41") say - just shy of 7/16 inch outboard from stock. Just right - needle threaded.

Sounds like a good plan. You should be able to save considerable money on the 7.5JJx17 ET15 Sequoia/Tundra wheels if you shop patiently on craigslist. But have to buy the hub spacers. That's exactly what @Tools R Us was running, plus others too, I think. Well proven. He wrote that he had 1.25" spacers but was getting pretty close to bodywork on the outside and would go with 1" spacers if he was to do again.
ET15=positive 15mm wheel offset.
1" hub spacer = negative 25.4mm offset
So - the total is simply added together = -10.4mm (-0.41") say - just shy of 7/16 inch outboard from stock. Just right - needle threaded.

And of I recall I believe that is what @richardlillard1 told me to 1” spacers.

Only issue is finding a tire shop that will mount that size tire on a rim that's only 7.5" wide. Most of the ones around me wouldn't do it with a set of 35's for my sons truck. All of them told me 8" width was the minimum width they would mount a 12.5" wide tire to.

We ended up mounting them ourselves. ;)

3” Icon, 17”x8.5” Method w/37”x12.5 BFG’s
Rubs on full stuff but not enough to worry about right now.
6A6B5836-FA85-4940-BE4D-BEBDCF6AE444.jpeg
FF5E8D12-AC9A-4792-984D-6FDF57A8FAB0.jpeg
475C3A06-BDDD-488F-A0CD-50796432CB0B.jpeg

Only issue is finding a tire shop that will mount that size tire on a rim that's only 7.5" wide. Most of the ones around me wouldn't do it with a set of 35's for my sons truck. All of them told me 8" width was the minimum width they would mount a 12.5" wide tire to.

We ended up mounting them ourselves. ;)

I need to go by Discount and see if they are down. My buddy works at SDHQ here in town and ask him if they will mount them.

Maybe shy away from the big chain tire stores. Once Discount refused to mount a used spare for my 60, even though the tire looked like new, they said it was “too old”. Mom & pop place a mile away didn’t even look at the production date, mounted it no problem. Albeit trying to understand their broken English was a bit of a challenge ;)

1.25 spacers and sequoia wheel fit and tuck perfect.

New here had the cruiser for awhile now just getting into it.
37 12.50 17s cooper stt pros
Stock other than 2 inch ironman springs.
Does rub on back but have not done bump stops so we will see just excited how well it drives at 70 glad didnt get pulled over thought was just going 50 haha.No rubbing with normal driving. I concur with stock gear power loss over stated feels the same between 31 34 boggers and now these if anything just handle better.

20200907_144950.jpg

20200907_143200.jpg

20200907_184431.jpg

What a great looking truck! Did you re gear!

Thank you.
I did not. I thought it would be horrible and even went so far as to get quotes to go to 4:88’s. For what I use the truck for it’s just fine, that being said, I may do a lower transfer case gear set if I decide to beat on this more than my Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom