Driving a HZJ73 across the country (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Read the charger, and/or the back of the piece of equipment you want to use, it will tell you it's input/output voltage. Most (if not all) plug in electronics can be used in 24v cig outlets, and all modern cig adapters have a fuse built in. I use my GPS unit plugged in all the time, and tablet chargers, phone chargers etc in the 24v outlet.

I don't want to hijack this thread but maybe I need to review the electronics side of things. I have a 24v JDM HZJ73. And it sounds like yall are saying I don't need to run chargers through a converter for standard electronics in the US... Then when do you need to run a 24v to 12v converter?

I killed a Midland handheld CB radio plugged into the 24v in mine.

I don't want to hijack this thread but maybe I need to review the electronics side of things. I have a 24v JDM HZJ73. And it sounds like yall are saying I don't need to run chargers through a converter for standard electronics in the US... Then when do you need to run a 24v to 12v converter?

You need to look at the plug to see what the input rating is. Many chargers are going to have a wide voltage acceptance rating. Radios are typically not going to have a wide range. 12 volt converters allow you to use anything that is not already rated for 24V.

There is a big difference between things that need to be "charged", like phones, tablets, gps units vs stand alone electronics ie car stereo, CB/UHF radios, handheld VHFs etc. All of the pertinent information should be listed on the device, its charger, or in its manual. Just about anything that has a USB charging cord takes 5 volts (or there abouts), and nearly all USB cig adapters put out +/- 5 volts regardless of input voltage. Of course, there are exceptions but it's pretty easy to get a 24 v cig adapter that puts out 5 v through usb ports. You would use a 24-12 voltage converter for a hard wired 12 v device. Happy to discuss further in a PM if you want.

Apologies for the thread hijack. Enjoy your drive from SLC; beautiful country to drive through and lots of 2 lane "slow" roads through the SW that don't require interstate speeds, all with stunning scenery.

Well if all goes as planned I will be flying out to Utah and picking up a HZJ73 at Land Cruiser Direct. I plan on spending 3 weeks driving it back to Florida, most of the time will be spent wondering around Utah/Colorado then a turn a burn back to Florida. Hopefully will do a few of the mountain passes out of Ouray to add to the adventure a bit.

My first vehicle was a Land Cruiser and I had one ever since, but I have never owned a diesel variety so I am definitely in uncharted territory. Added to that I normally will spend weeks getting any of my past vehicles ready for cross country trips. So I am way out on a limb :facepalm:

1991 RHD Hzj73
~1HZ (naturally aspirated)
~H55
~FRP top
~24V
~Japan Import

I've spent hours reading through trouble shooting threads of problems with 1HZ. Ironically 2 of those threads where posting up "real time" for problems driving through Colorado at higher altitude. Which seemed to be alleviated when reducing to lower altitude, maybe running some of mountain passes might not be a wise choice?

• From what I have read it seems these can cruise at 70-74mph for hours with out problems, this still hold true?
  • Not a huge deal but will this have a 12v cigarette lighter I could charge my phone?
  • Never owing a diesel, do you have to pump the throttle a little bit like a carb'd truck when starting?
  • Will the temperature gauge fluctuate much while driving? It will be hot crossing the country and I will have the A/C on.
If there is any tips or anything else I should be looking out for please let me know.

Thanks again for all the help guys,
~Al :beer:

I did this after buying a nice HZJ73 truck from Steve at LCD, drove from MO to CA with no drama. Zero issues with a truck in decent shape. Stick to 70 mph and don't stress about being fast, it will do 75 to 85, but why? Leave driving to fast and blowing up to the Jeep guys....

No issues with cooling but you'll realize when you need to slow down/turn off AC because the needle will creep. I only saw this happen in 100 degree weather with the AC on climbing a steep grade, slow down and turn the AC off and the needle returns to where it likes to live, no stress. You'll learn where the needle likes to park when the thermostat opens and it should live there. I had zero issues with my HZJ73 it was great.

I live in Southern CA, my HZJ73 never complained about being woken up, even on those rare 32 degree mornings. My BJ74 is a different story and needs help with idle adjustment like mentioned above.

You need a convertor for all of those typical wired in vehicle accessories: stereos/CBs/lights/ect, but most of the time that little stuff that charges from your cigarette lighter works just fine. Like a previous post said, just check the input range to be sure.

I'm wiring in a massive 24 to 12v converter to run a whole 12V sub system so I can run my fancy stereo and all of the 12V stuff I have floating around in my garage that was supposed to go in my last rig, which was 12V. I'll just leave the factory 24V alone.

Where are you in Florida?

I've been over in Saint Augustine for the past 16 years or so... Thanks for your link, looks like you made the haul from out west pretty fast. Seemed like a well sorted truck 👍

Onur, Thanks for sending out the 24v bulbs! I hope the cruiser Karma heads back your way (and lands on the 3B :D)

Thank you all for the driving tips, (black exhaust at altitude, temp advice and speed etc.. Thats the info I was after! Tickets are booked!

If your travel plans go through Austin, Texas, give a holler. We’ve got a bunch of diesel cruiserheads here as well as cold beer and pretty good barbecue. Good luck on your trip and keep documenting with some pics for us. With a truck from LCD, you should be well sorted.

Thanks Onur for the awesome hook up!
00CECB6A-3A37-484A-8763-E4EC99BB59F9.jpeg
D8156126-6407-491F-AB61-C99DD6DD557D.jpeg

Thanks all for the invites, not too sure on the route yet. I will post up when I get over there and keep the updates coming as I have service.

That bumper will get there 5 mins before you

No, I am dropping the better half off at Denver Airport a little over a week after arriving. She will be there for all the fun stuff (Utah and Colorado) and then flying home before the boring drive through Kansas,Missouri and Tennessee. I plan on overnighting on the Blue Ridge Parkway for a night or two before finishing the trip home.

But typically I do drive I10 home from out west.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom