Wiring an 8274 + Albright (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Finally got mine installed with contractor in eng bay. Can’t wait to see how XP motor works under load.
5F23EEF4-8DEC-4F55-B1EF-AC9B78F63ADA.jpeg
9B1018DC-430E-4C2B-B4E6-05B09EA4FD4A.jpeg

Can’t wait to see how XP motor works under load.

You're going to be happy. Just be sure your jeep is anchored, because it's going to pull something!

You're going to be happy. Just be sure your jeep is anchored, because it's going to pull something!
I've had the winch for 22 years. Did a lot of tree work with it the first few years. Then it sat in my garage in a box for over 17 years. Just had it rebuilt and put a new 9.5xp motor on it. It seems even faster than I remember.

Doing my research prior to wiring my gigglepin contactor up. I have an ‘83 3 wire with original motor. I understand that the motor case is ground (no actual ground post). Am I correct that the ground on the contactor (14g) then needs to be run to negative post on battery?

Also, should I wire in an automatic safety shutoff? How would I go about doing this?

TIA

~smokeater

Correct, the motor case is ground. Corect, the ground on the contactor goes to chassis ground or battery negative, wherever your control ground is.

What automatic safety shutoff are you talking about? Not sure what functionality you're looking for there.

Correct, the motor case is ground. Corect, the ground on the contactor goes to chassis ground or battery negative, wherever your control ground is.

What automatic safety shutoff are you talking about? Not sure what functionality you're looking for there.
I guess what I am referring to is the instances people report having some sort of quick way to shut off in case of winch failure or short....diagrams show fuses and/or “battery isolater.”

Thanks

~smokeater

^ That's simple and works well, assuming the cables haven't melted by the time you get there :lol:

I have a 500a relay between my battery and the winch contactor. If there's an issue, I flip a switch and it kills power to the contactor and winch. Seems to work well.

^ That's simple and works well, assuming the cables haven't melted by the time you get there :lol:

I have a 500a relay between my battery and the winch contactor. If there's an issue, I flip a switch and it kills power to the contactor and winch. Seems to work well.

Can you elaborate on how you’ve wired the relay? A quick search yielded these two on Amazon. I like the Marine grade waterproof but can’t find one over 300amp...the fuse block is self explanatory I guess...these I assume run on the (-) side?
04BBCFDF-29AE-42BD-9DD1-2B924ED41D4E.png
73A98054-78EB-4410-87B5-6F1EF2EEA3D2.png

That's a breaker, and a fuse. I used a relay. You have to put it on the + side, because the winch motor can ground itself through the body of the winch to the frame.

This is an old pic, but gets the point across. Battery + to the solenoid, which is switched with a toggle in the cab. When on, it would provide battery + to the contactor. The contactor controls are in the cab as well. The three large lines off of the contactor go to the winch.

1598967085756.png

I think I understand now...something like this NVX?

031D0C4A-818B-4FC2-9EEE-A9BD1685F806.png

Does the in cab switch splice into ignition or is it just a on/off switch?

@GLTHFJ60 BTW where did you source your cab controls? I can’t find anything like it on the inter web ;) I dig the look instead of the plastic rocker it seems are a dime a dozen.

Thanks!

Hey team, great thread for those of us just starting on the winch projects. I recently picked up a Warn 8274 from 79' , tore it down and am now firmly down the rabbit hole of rebuilding and upgrades. My issue is that I have an 82 BJ42 which is a 24V truck. Looks like similar parts are available in 24v (motors and contactors) but just not in North America. My BJ is Canadian. Any idea on the source for 24V stuff in Canada or US? Also it appears that controllers are scarce in 24v - what is really the difference - I know that a 24V motor usually draws 1/2 the current than a 12V motor, so I assume the wiring would be okay. Any 24V experts here that can help school me?

Hey team, great thread for those of us just starting on the winch projects. I recently picked up a Warn 8274 from 79' , tore it down and am now firmly down the rabbit hole of rebuilding and upgrades. My issue is that I have an 82 BJ42 which is a 24V truck. Looks like similar parts are available in 24v (motors and contactors) but just not in North America. My BJ is Canadian. Any idea on the source for 24V stuff in Canada or US? Also it appears that controllers are scarce in 24v - what is really the difference - I know that a 24V motor usually draws 1/2 the current than a 12V motor, so I assume the wiring would be okay. Any 24V experts here that can help school me?

Try Montana Jacks.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom