Koito/OEM h4 headlight install - where does this plug go?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CruiserTrash

Supporting Vendor
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
cruisertrashparts.com
First time poster, long time lurker. I’ve searched and cannot find the answer to this. Where does one plug in this male connector? It has to be the signal for the headlights - telling them when to turn on and off.

Couldn’t find Anything in the engine bay so I pulled apart the steering column to chase the headlight switch wires .... still nothing.

Am I a dummy - does this just plug into the connector that ran to the old bulb? See pictures below. On the instruction sheet I have the screwdriver pointing at the pertinent info.
28429F80-EF07-4B64-BF8F-2B4E17839016.jpeg
848AC186-958B-460B-877A-2D4C4161D194.jpeg
95864951-4F39-4F10-9D83-F6C5C51A8DA0.jpeg

Isn't that the one that plugs into your factory harness?

You just plug it in where the stock headlight plugged in.

Isn't that the one that plugs into your factory harness?

You just plug it in where the stock headlight plugged in.

Yep. I had an issue (see my thread) when I plugged the male connector into the passenger side female connector. I ended up plugging into the driver side female connector and all is well.

Thanks! I figured that’s what I need to do, but it didn’t seem right to me for whatever reason. I have it plugged into the passenger side for now. I’ll test and move it as needed.

Both headlights only need the signal for the relay from one source. The power to
the individual lights comes from the relays. Doesn’t matter which size you source
from. I’m ecstatic with mine! Great add on.

Thanks all! The work like a charm. Literally a “night and day” difference. I read somewhere on here that the old sealed beams were powered with candles haha

Thanks all! The work like a charm. Literally a “night and day” difference. I read somewhere on here that the old sealed beams were powered with candles haha

Only the later ones. The early ones were powered by misguided optimism and hollow promises

@CruiserTrash , I just got a set of these and will install soon. Would you mind snapping/posting a pic of your engine bay or wherever you mounted your relays? Just curious.
Thanks,
fisch

@CruiserTrash , I just got a set of these and will install soon. Would you mind snapping/posting a pic of your engine bay or wherever you mounted your relays? Just curious.
Thanks,
fisch
Can do in a little bit - I need another cup of coffee yet. Passenger side fender, behind the battery. I have a box of random Cruiser screws and got a couple that fit into the threaded studs there. Maybe on of them is hanging loose because I needed a spot for my auxiliary light relay. Pictures to follow.

Thanks,
fisch

Here's a shot of mine just for comparison. I fashioned a bracket out of some old stock I had and mounted it on the inside fender. Have some Hella fogs installed as well. Here you can see the relays for both the Koito and Hella light systems. The arrangement is sort of specific to my setup and needs but works well. You may not need something as elaborate, but its an idea of how it can be done. HTH:

IMG_6222.jpg
IMG_6223.jpg

Yeah do what @Gretsch did. Mine isn't a mess, but it’s definitely not as pretty!

Stock. Rubber cover to help keep the dizzy dry. Most trucks have lost them a long time ago but sometimes you get lucky.

Believe it or not, I bought this one from @4Cruisers. Mine was long gone. He also hooked me up with a working vacuum advance. Distributor rehab complete!! The cover is actually not the easiest thing to manage, but in my continued quest to return my truck more stock than not, I bought it. It makes sense why most trucks no longer have them. After wrestling with them a few times, I imagine original owners just ditched them out of laziness.

Last edited:
Back on this …. Had a bulb burn out yesterday. Any suggested replacements? Is there one level brighter that Iz could move to? Without blinding other traffic….

@CruiserTrash are you saying you burned out a bulb that you installed in August of 2020? If so, way too soon.

@CruiserTrash are you saying you burned out a bulb that you installed in August of 2020? If so, way too soon.
Maybe. Depends on the brand. I’ve had some of the cheaper bulbs fail in a year or less. I’ve also had some of the higher wattage bulbs fail pretty quickly

Back on this …. Had a bulb burn out yesterday. Any suggested replacements? Is there one level brighter that Iz could move to? Without blinding other traffic….
Cruiser Matt has LED's that fit in the H4 glass. I love mine.

I've had problems with headlight bulbs burning out quickly when I haven't used dilectric grease on the headlight connectors. I'd recommend cleaning the old dilectric grease off and putting some new stuff on there when you change the bulbs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom