AHC and Wash Board Roads. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was wondering how well the AHC suspension, mainly shocks will hold up on corrugations "wash boards". Doing a Mojave Trail run in October and heard that it's one long wash board road. I plan on airing down to about 22psi but I don't want to be a drag on the group by pampering my rig along @ 5 MPH, worried my suspension is going to explode or my hundy shaking itself to pieces. I will be traveling with an 89 stock Bronco and a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4. My friend says they don't haul a$$ but this will be the first time doing this run and I've already opted out of the water crossing @ Afton Road . I will be coming in on Basin road.

Yeah you should be ok. Just make sure your fluid is fresh and your globes aren't end of life. If you have either, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah the water crossing is an alternator killer. Have had it happen to me twice.

Yeah you should be ok. Just make sure your fluid is fresh and your globes aren't end of life. If you have either, you're going to have a bad time.

Yeah the water crossing is an alternator killer. Have had it happen to me twice.
System seems to be working flawlessly now. I'll take it easy anyway. I was going to take my FJ60 but Air Cond, and comfort sounded better.

Your tires and bushings will likely dictate more of what you'll feel than the AHC. Airing down is a good move. If you need any rubber bushings replaced under the truck, this will be a great time to figure out which ones ;)

FWIW, I have big honkin' fat foam cells in the front of mine and I still hate washboards.

I do 50 plus miles on washboard roads a couple times a month. The AHC in the LX in soft mode eats it up. Way smoother than my old LC with standard suspension. As long as everything is in good working order you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Jim

All
Hail
Comfort

Rip it up. Washboards are perhaps the best part about AHC. AHC is laughably comfortable at speed compared to anything else I've ever been in on rough roads.

As far as wear, I think you'll struggle to do anything that would significantly reduce life beyond typical use. Turn it to comfort, height set to N, and tear it up. Enjoy the smooth ride while the others are hating life. If something fails, it was probably going to fail on the highway anyways.

There's a road near me that's maintained, but always washboarded. In my 99 it's a comically loud and numbing experience. In the LX with AHC, it's at least 50% less jostling, maybe closer to 75%.

On a recent trip we took to Grand Tetons, there's a long winding back road to get to Ashton, ID. We took that and it was so much fun to take such a long dirt road at relatively high speeds and not get fatigued much more than a normal mountain road.

I was wondering how well the AHC suspension, mainly shocks will hold up on corrugations "wash boards". Doing a Mojave Trail run in October and heard that it's one long wash board road. I plan on airing down to about 22psi but I don't want to be a drag on the group by pampering my rig along @ 5 MPH, worried my suspension is going to explode or my hundy shaking itself to pieces. I will be traveling with an 89 stock Bronco and a 2006 Chevy 2500 HD 4x4. My friend says they don't haul a$$ but this will be the first time doing this run and I've already opted out of the water crossing @ Afton Road . I will be coming in on Basin road.

Hate to be in that Bronco. I know what mine feels like on washboard.

90bronco.jpg

That low? Running stock wheels with Cooper AT's

I do 20 psi without much thought and down to 15 if I'm crawling. Just up to your preference on bead failure risk vs comfort and reduced wear on the car.

Make sure your spare is in good shape.

Yeah, air down and haul ass! Washboard roads suck, but I find a comfort level in the Cruiser around 45mph and up! Haha. In my experience, AHC in comfort mode eats it up.

I usually air down to 15ish.

I spend quite a bit of time driving washboard roads and agree that the AHC in comfort mode is very comfortable. One word of caution though, don't let the comfort find you driving too fast especially into corners where bad things happen. I only air down on the really ruff stuff like roads that are mostly rock or potholes.
Cheers,
Scot

I always hesitated to put the AHC in comfort when off road. I always thought it would put more strain on the system. What setting do yall keep it in on a trail that is rocky?

Is that yours? Clean.

Yes, mine. '90 model fullsize. And a '70 model half cab.

Wouldn't want to take either over a washboard road. You'd never see straight again and probably lose any fillings in your teeth (best reason to get crowns).

90Model1 (800x598).jpg
halfcab2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom