Too rebuild or to part out. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

kev60

TLCA Member:23722
Threads
I have recently obtained a well used 1970 Fj40 Landcruiser well on a weekend trip to the mountains. I already have a 1982 FJ60 landcruiser and could not help myself when I saw this one rotting away in a field. I am now the proud owner of this beauty with lots of problems. One major issue for me is that someone threw a Chevy 235 into it that turns over but I am not sure how much it will need to run. My intent is to at least get it running and driving and some small interior restoration, but now as my list of parts grows to get it even to start I am questioning whether I just cut my losses and part it out. As much as I hate to do that I know that some of these parts could help others to keep their Landcruisers going I am just not sure. I am not looking to sell parts at this point so please do not comment what you would need I can start another thread if I go that way. I am mainly just looking to see what you all suggest, I dont plan on keeping this one forever but a couple years down the road I would most likely sell it again if I can get it running and go that way. SO is it worth it to keep pushing at getting this one going or call it quits before I bury more money into it! Thanks for any advice!
A05C7374-5FD0-46D5-B1C2-A8373C8444BB.jpeg
A05C7374-5FD0-46D5-B1C2-A8373C8444BB.jpeg
32075ADD-9444-4B7C-A088-D1344D3C527C.jpeg
615C454A-A776-4D1F-8A4F-1DBBD926E673.jpeg

Getting going to what point? I saw try and get it running, driving, stopping and then see what else it needs

How much do you want to spend on it lol

Getting going to what point? I saw try and get it running, driving, stopping and then see what else it needs

How much do you want to spend on it lol
Yeah I think that’s part of my problem I don’t know exactly how far I want to go with it! I think mainly I don’t want to paint or do any bodywork!

I would put a battery in it and see if it turns over, pour gas down the carb and see if it pops off

if you are worried about burying money into it, you shouldn't have picked it up.
sell it as is to someone else and wash your hands of it.

from the few pics, the body looks in very good shape, I would not part it out.

Last edited:
Since previous owner already spent 80% of the money needed to put a small block Chevy V8 into it when they installed the Chevy 6, I'd add the other 20%, drop in a SBC, then love the heck out of it, it'll be a fun ride. I can provide parts and instructions if you choose to go that route- - -just saying.

Since previous owner already spent 80% of the money needed to put a small block Chevy V8 into it when they installed the Chevy 6, I'd add the other 20%, drop in a SBC, then love the heck out of it, it'll be a fun ride. I can provide parts and instructions if you choose to go that route- - -just saying.

What else would it need to drop a small block in it? I happen to have one laying around in the garage, so this could be a good possibility!

Don't part that one out! Someone would definitely be willing to take that off of your hands, maybe even me.

What else would it need to drop a small block in it? I happen to have one laying around in the garage, so this could be a good possibility!

Likely just needs front motor mounts, 168 tooth flywheel, low diaphragm clutch (Downey has one that works great), some wiring, relocate battery, and various miscellaneous odds and ends.

Depending on positioning you may need to shorten or lengthen driveshafts. Normally the transmission is moved forward about 3.5”. The heads need adequate space between them and the firewall to have airflow for cooling.

When I did my conversion I read Advance Adaptor’s and Downey‘s SBC conversion manuals till I knew them by heart. Jim aka Downey can send you one and AA’s can be found online.

This thread has pics and measurements...

Last edited:
Sounds like your heart is not in it. Someone with a real love would want to tackle the bodywork , and even engine issues. I would say sell it to someone with a true love for bringing this back to life. Do not always look for the cash part. Seems like you found it , bought it, and now are looking for return profits.

You probably already have the correct transmission adapter, ,bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, etc., and I can provide the V8 front and rear motor mounts, and the freebie Downey V8 installation instruction manual- - -lemme know.

Yeah I think that’s part of my problem I don’t know exactly how far I want to go with it! I think mainly I don’t want to paint or do any bodywork!
Well make it a “patina build”, or a rat rod theme. I could have saved a ton of cash going that way, ha ha!

Alright you have convinced me, I think after the initial hit of buying the necessary parts I will stop being so wishy washy over it! Thanks for the encouragement guys, it will not be parted out! Once the parts come in I will start a build thread of getting it going! And thanks for the back up plan if I can not get the 235 going I will go for the SBC.

Post some pics of the 235. Is it single or dualed carb’d?

Soooo, if you are going to play with the 235 for awhile, look at my ebay #264808304851. I could swap out this adapter plate for one that fits the 235 intake. Or if you want your 235 to have serious exuberance and exaltation go for Ebay #254230775419- - -easy deal.

Last edited:
264608654634 looks like another great option from @Downey. I take it that all one needs beyond this kit is the FiTech or Holley Sniper kit?

Seems like just the thing to breathe new life into the (1.5) F in my 74 FJ55. (sorry for the thread snipe.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom