What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (15 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ran the Rubicon trail from Tahoe to Loon Lake on Sunday. Working on my +3000 mile drive home now.

1F74275B-663A-4B8B-BA1B-B0405DE20A02.jpeg
F907D29E-FBFF-43F1-A523-86D219FDFFC4.jpeg
6CA43B55-DF18-4D72-B934-E0697BCFF95C.jpeg

You're a mad man, Matt! Any issues?

Yep, shot the rear locker through the axle housing half way through the trail. Got that fixed and finished the trail and am about 1/3 the way home on the side of 40 with a smoked transmission.

@cruisermatt Sounds like that auto might be coming sooner than later. You certainly will have one busy trip report.

Quick 2-nighter to a dispersed spot in the Mt Hood National Forest… I like the freestanding popup as it makes it easier to cover or expose the camp areas. Here in Oregon we need to maximize our clear, sunny days. This is one of many decommissioned campgrounds in the MHNF, so it has fire rings and picnic tables but no running water or services. Unfortunately a burn ban went into effect last week so we had to make do without a campfire.

IMG_2079.jpg

Hammock set up and ruminating on some design work. I do my best thinking in a hammock, in the woods, with a cold one.
IMG_2080.jpg
IMG_2078.jpg

Bonus photo of the gear setup. This truck doesn't have a drawer system, so it's all Tetris to get everything in. Need to build a removable cooler slider. Here the camp table and chairs are on the left above the bin holding spare parts and recovery gear, then the tent, canopy, and water, then the crate for our border collie and cooler. Beyond the crate are stacking black bins for kitchen gear and general gear and a duffel bag with clothes. Pretty simple setup, most of the stuff can live in the garage and quick to pack everything in.

IMG_2076.jpg

I couldn't imagine dispersed camping in this type of comfort without a Land Cruiser.

Went to look at a gun safe for sale, wasn't planning to take it home was going to go back Saturday with the truck and some help to get it. Well there was 4 of us there and we're like I think we can get it in your cruiser, it weighs 875 lbs! We got it in, barely moved the rear springs but sure did feel the weight on the way home. Now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get it out lol.
IMG_20200812_194908.jpg

IMG_20200812_200549.jpg

Went to look at a gun safe for sale, wasn't planning to take it home was going to go back Saturday with the truck and some help to get it. Well there was 4 of us there and we're like I think we can get it in your cruiser, it weighs 875 lbs! We got it in, barely moved the rear springs but sure did feel the weight on the way home. Now I have to figure out how I'm gonna get it out lol. View attachment 2402331
View attachment 2402333
Wow 875...careful with the tailgate, I bent the sh*t out of mine years ago with a bunch of heavy lumber.

Nice man!! Looks super cool. Did the same thing!!

Quick 2-nighter to a dispersed spot in the Mt Hood National Forest… I like the freestanding popup as it makes it easier to cover or expose the camp areas. Here in Oregon we need to maximize our clear, sunny days. This is one of many decommissioned campgrounds in the MHNF, so it has fire rings and picnic tables but no running water or services. Unfortunately a burn ban went into effect last week so we had to make do without a campfire.

View attachment 2402203

Hammock set up and ruminating on some design work. I do my best thinking in a hammock, in the woods, with a cold one.
View attachment 2402205 View attachment 2402206

Bonus photo of the gear setup. This truck doesn't have a drawer system, so it's all Tetris to get everything in. Need to build a removable cooler slider. Here the camp table and chairs are on the left above the bin holding spare parts and recovery gear, then the tent, canopy, and water, then the crate for our border collie and cooler. Beyond the crate are stacking black bins for kitchen gear and general gear and a duffel bag with clothes. Pretty simple setup, most of the stuff can live in the garage and quick to pack everything in.

View attachment 2402209

I couldn't imagine dispersed camping in this type of comfort without a Land Cruiser.

@JHE4601 did you get the front end fixed up? Or was it still fully functional? Y'all have a great setup with the cook surface on the drawer— I've been meaning to do that and get one of those Partner stoves.

I did get a nice box from @fj60dan with some Sniper EFI gear in it… now the parts collection begins

Took the rig camping to a remote cascade lake. Pretty chill and it was my sons 2 birthday. Spent a lot of time on the water and cooking and having a great time. Oregon has got amazing camping!!

View attachment 2402604

View attachment 2402606

View attachment 2402607

View attachment 2402617

View attachment 2402618

When I drive down I5 I try to have a bunch of nice free camping / sleeping spots to hit on the way down. Northern California has lots of nice ones but Oregon is a pain since you can't sleep in the rest stops on I5 and the forests near I5 don't allow overnight parking or camping (I found this out when I just happened to be driving through during the eclipse and I was looking for a place to sleep overnight and tried to park in a forest parking lot but the ranger guy kicked me out. I ended up in the Walmart parking lot as that was the only place with space lol). So I guess you just have to go a little further away from the main I5 corridor to find these nice camp spots in Oregon. I wonder how much that would add to the drive time. But for now, it doesn't look like I'll be doing a California trip anytime soon...

@JHE4601 did you get the front end fixed up? Or was it still fully functional? Y'all have a great setup with the cook surface on the drawer— I've been meaning to do that and get one of those Partner stoves.

I did get a nice box from @fj60dan with some Sniper EFI gear in it… now the parts collection begins
Going into the shop tomorrow for a full fix. I’ll be without her for about a week. Yea took me a while to figure out the build out. I wanted the option to put a sleeping platform in when the rear seat is down. Got it all figured out and still have access to my cargo panel sides too. Perfect for our camping trips.

i have had trouble keeping my heater valve off during the summer. i changed the valve thinking that would solve it... it didn't......
while doing the wiring for the TT bezel..i noticed this clamp hanging from the blue heater cable housing... it fell apart on me when i grabbed it...
anybody knows if these are still available?
KIMG0091.JPG
KIMG0082.JPG

i found this part, but it turns out it is plastic...
it fits and holds in place... but don't know about longevity.....
KIMG0101.JPG

KIMG0099.JPG

any info w/b much appreciated

When I drive down I5 I try to have a bunch of nice free camping / sleeping spots to hit on the way down. Northern California has lots of nice ones but Oregon is a pain since you can't sleep in the rest stops on I5 and the forests near I5 don't allow overnight parking or camping (I found this out when I just happened to be driving through during the eclipse and I was looking for a place to sleep overnight and tried to park in a forest parking lot but the ranger guy kicked me out. I ended up in the Walmart parking lot as that was the only place with space lol). So I guess you just have to go a little further away from the main I5 corridor to find these nice camp spots in Oregon. I wonder how much that would add to the drive time. But for now, it doesn't look like I'll be doing a California trip anytime soon...
The National Forests allow dispersed camping (with a permit/pass) anywhere in the forest that isn't a parking lot, and there's also BLM land depending on where in Oregon you are. But you do have to go a little further off the freeway to find a spot.

i have had trouble keeping my heater valve off during the summer. i changed the valve thinking that would solve it... it didn't......
while doing the wiring for the TT bezel..i noticed this clamp hanging from the blue heater cable housing... it fell apart on me when i grabbed it...
anybody knows if these are still available?
View attachment 2403212View attachment 2403213

i found this part, but it turns out it is plastic...
it fits and holds in place... but don't know about longevity.....
View attachment 2403220
View attachment 2403221

any info w/b much appreciated
I was able to remove one without destroying it. PM me with your mailing address and I'll send it to you today.

Users who are viewing this thread

• BC40
Back
Top Bottom