What have you done to your 100 Series this week? (25 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Big shout-out to @Jfoofighter16 who got me into my first real tires for my ride.

Got the same set of shoes also after doing this to the old tires last weekend. Two flats on one trip! Had to limp home 100 miles with a sidewall patch.
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5388.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_5387.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_53bc.jpg

Wow! Did you do that patch with the tire on the rim? What plugs and glue did you use? I'm impressed that you got that to hold air for hundred miles!

Yes, tire on the rim but wheel off the vehicle initially. The patch is not on the tire with the huge gash in the middle picture, but rather a smaller gash on the first sidewall tear I had. I used a cheap plug kit from Amazon, similar to the ARB kit. Popped a few in and got it to hold air. Had to do some slow wheeling with a few air refills to get off the trail. After we got to pavement, it needed a new plug inserted every 20-30 miles and a refill but was able to do 60mph most of the way home.

Yes, tire on the rim but wheel off the vehicle initially. The patch is not on the tire with the huge gash in the middle picture, but rather a smaller gash on the first sidewall tear I had. I used a cheap plug kit from Amazon, similar to the ARB kit. Popped a few in and got it to hold air. Had to do some slow wheeling with a few air refills to get off the trail. After we got to pavement, it needed a new plug inserted every 20-30 miles and a refill but was able to do 60mph most of the way home.
That sounds stressful...

It wasn’t exactly the ideal way to end the trip.

Just got back from a 4000+ miles trip from NC to CO/UT in my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser with 115K miles on it, all stuck with the exception of 33s KO2 tires. The car did amazing, haven't had a single issues with it despite the fact the car is 20 years old. Did all the trails around Silverton/Ouray/Telluride and Lake City (Black Bear, Alpine Loop, Imogene,Ophir, Alta,...etc). On the way there we did the Medano Pass (spent the night on the trail - windy as hell) into Great Sand Dunes. After CO, we did Moab just for one day. I understand now why CO/UT is the Mecca for the outdoor lovers/offroading. Can't wait to go back again next year.

Just got back from a 4000+ miles trip from NC to CO/UT in my 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser with 115K miles on it, all stuck with the exception of 33s KO2 tires. The car did amazing, haven't had a single issues with it despite the fact the car is 20 years old. Did all the trails around Silverton/Ouray/Telluride and Lake City (Black Bear, Alpine Loop, Imogene,Ophir, Alta,...etc). On the way there we did the Medano Pass (spent the night on the trail - windy as hell) into Great Sand Dunes. After CO, we did Moab just for one day. I understand now why CO/UT is the Mecca for the outdoor lovers/offroading. Can't wait to go back again next year.
Awesome to hear that! Were you all by yourselves or part of a group? Any children? Any tips for do/don'ts for first time visitors?

FL to OR starting tomorrow. Fully (over?)loaded 16x8 trailer, airbags ar 31psi, WD/AS hitch, stock AHC suspension.

20200813_155358.jpg

Last edited:
That makes
FL to OR starting tomorrow.

View attachment 2403096
Vacation or moving?

Moving Mom's house crap to her place in Eugene beside my sister and her family. I'm probably staying in Eugene to continue to help with Mom. No life!

Awesome to hear that! Were you all by yourselves or part of a group? Any children? Any tips for do/don'ts for first time visitors?
I was fortunate to get my friend to come along in his 2019 fully loaded Tacoma. You can do it alone but as they say, two is better than one. This trip was drivers only, no wife, no kids no schedule. Next year I will love to bring my wife along so she can see why I love doing this so much.
My advice to anyone doing this is simple, get your vehicle in order before you embark on a trip that will take you K's of miles from home. I was going to do this trip last year but I wanted to go through the vehicle and perform some preventative maintenance. Even though the car had only 103K, garage kept one owner car when I bought it in 2019, it wasn't driven much and was due for some service. By the time I was ready to leave for the trip this summer, I had replaced a bunch of things on the cruiser with all new OEM parts; full timing belt, CV axels, new diff seals, new bearing, calipers, rotors, power steering pump, alternator...you get the picture. Even though everything was working, I figured since the vehicle is 20 years old and I am planing on taking long trips with it (NC to Alaska next year) it would not hurt to put some new parts on it and this way I learn how to fix it in case anything breaks. I performed all the work myself.
Once on the trails, my advice will be to take your time and pick the right line. You can do all the trail in a TLC stuck with 33s without hitting or scraping if you are patient and use common sense. I used 4L and 1st gear in some sections and it climb like a goat along with 20psi. Hope this motivates you enough to go out there and explore, it's worth the view!
C7021263-59EE-43B4-9B0C-CBD9414DFD5F.jpeg

Last edited:
I just finished the build on this 2000 Land Cruiser. Deflared, removed all body trip, and repainted in Desert Dune. Level III SecondSkin soundproofing. Dobinson 1.5” lift and torsion bars. Nitto ridge grapplers on Toyota TRD BBS wheels. Prinsu rack. Sweeeeeeet! She’s beautiful. I am biased. She’s still beautiful.

0BC5B67C-2EE1-4DB8-8C4B-CF8A8CE21184.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom