The life and times of my 1987 Toyota Pickup - KLF Special (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's definitely frustrating. I'm just hoping they don't hit me with a $4k valuation or something stupid like that.

Hoping for the best Will

Hoping for the best Will

Thanks Ross, really appreciate it.

I did get the "valuation" back today - $4,900. The adjuster also told me that he doesn't know if the 3rd party valuation company allows auction results to be included in the valuation. He's checking on that. In the meantime he said to send him over some same year pickups for sale by dealers and private parties so I'll be doing that.

Good news though - he said even with that valuation if the repairs come back to be $4,000 they will not total the vehicle. I'm getting a hail estimate later today so we'll see what the number comes back at with the PDR.

Thanks Ross, really appreciate it.

I did get the "valuation" back today - $4,900. The adjuster also told me that he doesn't know if the 3rd party valuation company allows auction results to be included in the valuation. He's checking on that. In the meantime he said to send him over some same year pickups for sale by dealers and private parties so I'll be doing that.

Good news though - he said even with that valuation if the repairs come back to be $4,000 they will not total the vehicle. I'm getting a hail estimate later today so we'll see what the number comes back at with the PDR.

1989 Toyota Pickup 2 Dr SR5 4WD Extended Cab SB / one owner - cars &...

This is an unfortunate but good example of making sure that you know what is actually in your policy.
These insurance companies dont give two shyts about your money or blood investment.
At this point, any of these rigs worth keeping should be on special policies. Classic car, etc. Im pretty sure we've talked about it once before but @CreeperSleeper has my rig on a neat policy.

It is definitely worth having an agent that knows what they are doing and want to look out for you over their bottom line. A lot of agents have no idea what to do with a truck like this.

Chad & I actually talked before I bought the thing, he recommended Hagerty & Farmers which both would not cover my truck as a DD. Chubb - who is putting in a new program to cover DD's that are classics declined insurance for me since I was under 25.

I'm not sure what the details are with the Farmers policy in AZ. Every state is a little different, but I'm surprised that Farmers wouldn't cover it under their normal policy with a customization endorsement.

It is definitely worth having an agent that knows what they are doing and want to look out for you over their bottom line. A lot of agents have no idea what to do with a truck like this.

I'm not sure what the details are with the Farmers policy in AZ. Every state is a little different, but I'm surprised that Farmers wouldn't cover it under their normal policy with a customization endorsement.

The Farmer's agent I spoke to down here didn't even offer me a quote on the truck. :confused:

The Farmer's agent I spoke to down here didn't even offer me a quote on the truck. :confused:
Farmers would not insure my FJ40. They would not insure my house because it has a flat roof.

Farmers would not insure my FJ40. They would not insure my house because it has a flat roof.

Wow.... I would talk to a different Farmers agent. Actually, I would love to know who they were if you wanted to PM me. Just to make sure I never refer anyone to them.

Jeez. I haven’t been on here for a while and see this. Bummer! I’d be getting the appraisal done and add that to your list of comparables. Do you know anyone at a Toyota dealer? There is a senior sales guy at my dealer who owns an ‘89 Runner like mine (had it since new) and a FJ40. He would give me a favorable appraisal on mine if I need it, and anything on Toyota dealer letterhead will (should!) help.

Sorry for the hail damage. I always carry spare belts and other parts because I'm usually very far from a tow truck or an autozone. I carry a spare idler pulley for the steering as well.

What's funny is I usually do carry spare parts with me too when I'm on the road, but we left in a hurry on Thursday so I didn't grab my bin. Shame on me!

Jeez. I haven’t been on here for a while and see this. Bummer! I’d be getting the appraisal done and add that to your list of comparables. Do you know anyone at a Toyota dealer? There is a senior sales guy at my dealer who owns an ‘89 Runner like mine (had it since new) and a FJ40. He would give me a favorable appraisal on mine if I need it, and anything on Toyota dealer letterhead will (should!) help.

Yeah I sent over a BUNCH of trucks on craigslist with over 235k miles that were all anywhere from $5k - $10,500. My adjuster sent it over and I'm waiting on the revised valuation. They currently are valuing it at $5,300. Don't know anyone at Toyota that could give me an appraisal, but could get one if I absolutely need to.

What's funny is I usually do carry spare parts with me too when I'm on the road, but we left in a hurry on Thursday so I didn't grab my bin. Shame on me!

I was pretty embarrassed to find out I took out my spare belts during an interior refurbishment and forgot the put them pack in. :doh:

We will never know if we could have made it work.

Probably time that I update this - I've got some good and bad news.

The bad news is this : the valuation company did not adjust the value for my truck at all with the ads that I sent them, so the valuation of the truck is staying at $4,900. With the current PDR estimate that I have, the truck would be totaled.

The good news is this: My insurance company realizes that the valuation is off and are adjusting their valuation to whatever it needs to be to where I can get the money out to fix the truck without it being totaled.

I'm not going to have the truck fixed with PDR and am going to have the whole truck sanded back down to bare metal and painted. All of the hail damage will be popped out with traditional bodywork and made right again. The truck will be getting a new hood, cowl, front fender & bed as I have one that is rust free.

I'll be swapping parts over this weekend and plan to have the truck to the body shop sometime next week to get started. The body shop that is doing the work came highly recommended to me by a family friend who runs a classic car dealership & restores cars. Funny enough the truck apparently caught a lot of attention in their parking lot while they were doing the estimate and the owner told me his paint & body guys are itching to fix the truck. She'll be in good hands.

So while I'll be paying a little bit out of pocket to have the truck fixed, I'm pretty happy with how this has all turned out.

That is great news! You will be posting progress pics... right? Right? Can't wait to see how she turns out.

That is great news! You will be posting progress pics... right? Right? Can't wait to see how she turns out.
Ya, we are picture whores. Got to document this transformation.

Oh yeah! I'll definitely be posting some progress pics. It's going to look like a mismatched mess with a different hood, bed & cowl. :rofl:

So you are saying the old bed will be built into a matching trailer...I hear you.

Probably time that I update this - I've got some good and bad news.

The bad news is this : the valuation company did not adjust the value for my truck at all with the ads that I sent them, so the valuation of the truck is staying at $4,900. With the current PDR estimate that I have, the truck would be totaled.

The good news is this: My insurance company realizes that the valuation is off and are adjusting their valuation to whatever it needs to be to where I can get the money out to fix the truck without it being totaled.

I'm not going to have the truck fixed with PDR and am going to have the whole truck sanded back down to bare metal and painted. All of the hail damage will be popped out with traditional bodywork and made right again. The truck will be getting a new hood, cowl, front fender & bed as I have one that is rust free.

I'll be swapping parts over this weekend and plan to have the truck to the body shop sometime next week to get started. The body shop that is doing the work came highly recommended to me by a family friend who runs a classic car dealership & restores cars. Funny enough the truck apparently caught a lot of attention in their parking lot while they were doing the estimate and the owner told me his paint & body guys are itching to fix the truck. She'll be in good hands.

So while I'll be paying a little bit out of pocket to have the truck fixed, I'm pretty happy with how this has all turned out.

Let me know if you want a hand or just some company this weekend.

Let me know if you want a hand or just some company this weekend.

If you're not too busy that'd be great! I plan on pulling the bed Saturday and could use a hand moving the thing.

If you're not too busy that'd be great! I plan on pulling the bed Saturday and could use a hand moving the thing.

Text me when and where.

Wish I was able to come give you a hand. That bed is heavier than you think, I would get a 3rd person. Post a picture when you get the bed off. I'll highlight all the non-OEM things I did underneath on the frame, for your records.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom