New Radiator not sucking coolant from expansion tank (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After having my radiator replaced, the coolant level in the radiator drops. When I top it off it dumps the coolant into the expansion tank but does not return to the radiator after the engine cools down. My expansion tank is now over full. I've also noticed a small leak under the overflow T coming off of the filler neck. Just so you know, I suspected the overflow hose or a faulty cap. I cut off a small piece of the hose and re attached and also put the original radiator cap back on to see if it helps before taking it back to the shop. Not overheating, and replaced the old radiator as preventative measure. PS. The shop installed a "MURRAY" radiator, which I was not 100% happy with. I've had issues with their products in the past.
20200810_172723.jpg
20200810_172742 (1).jpg

Top off the radiator, blast the heat front and rear as well. Drive around a little bit and put some load on the engine, let it cool completely and open the radiator cap to see where the coolant level is. Should be fine, system is self bleeding and the bubbles will work their ways out after a few heat cycles.

Top off the radiator, blast the heat front and rear as well. Drive around a little bit and put some load on the engine, let it cool completely and open the radiator cap to see where the coolant level is. Should be fine, system is self bleeding and the bubbles will work their ways out after a few heat cycles.
Holly cow. So this is a burping issue? I've done this procedure once. Heater will roast you right out of there. It's been three weeks since the radiator was changed and I Daily the truck to work and back.

Drive naked if you must!

Holly cow. So this is a burping issue? I've done this procedure once. Heater will roast you right out of there. It's been three weeks since the radiator was changed and I Daily the truck to work and back.

Sounds like a leaking hose to expansion tank. Replace with new hose, cap and clamps. Also replace the hose inside the tank.

Burping should happen in a few trips of normal driving. After three weeks, that's not a burping problem. That's a leak (or blown head gasket) problem.

Reactions: MJK
Sounds like a leaking hose to expansion tank. Replace with new hose, cap and clamps. Also replace the hose inside the tank.

Burping should happen in a few trips of normal driving. After three weeks, that's not a burping problem. That's a leak (or blown head gasket) problem.
Have no symptoms of a blown head gasket, GOD I HOPE NOT, but I can block test it anyway. Hose inside the tank? I didn't notice anything until after water pump, radiator replacement.

This doesn't sounds like a head gasket to me.

It sounds like the coolant gets hot, expands, and pushes into the overflow bottle - so normal. The question is why isn't the coolant getting sucked back up into the radiator when it cools. I agree with Suprarx7YotaMDNut.

Screen Shot 2020-08-10 at 6.47.40 PM.png

I'd look closely at 16470A and 16470R in the diagram above (and the plastic cap).

The question is why isn't the coolant getting sucked back up into the radiator when it cools.
I thought maybe the radiator cap. The pressure is not equalizing. That is why I put the Japanese cap from the factory back on. Like I said, the shop used !!!Autozone parts so there you go. He warrantees his work so that is good.

Last edited:
I thought maybe the radiator cap. The pressure is not equalizing. That is why I put the Japanese cap from the factory back on. Like I said, the shop used !!!Autozone parts so there you go. He warrantees his work so that is good.
This is why I should just do the work myself. Buy the best and only cry once. What I get for being old and lazy.

You say there’s a leak at the overflow T, so there’s your problem. Figure out why it’s leaking there. Kinda difficult for the radiator to suck coolant back in if the hose can’t hold vacuum pressure.
I suspect the the nipple for the overflow line isn’t molded properly on the new radiator, and that hose isn’t getting a good seal. See if it can be filed down a little to smooth it out, and/or put a tighter clamp on it. This ain’t rocket surgery.

You say there’s a leak at the overflow T, so there’s your problem. Figure out why it’s leaking there. Kinda difficult for the radiator to suck coolant back in if the hose can’t hold vacuum pressure.
I suspect the the nipple for the overflow line isn’t molded properly on the new radiator, and that hose isn’t getting a good seal. See if it can be filed down a little to smooth it out, and/or put a tighter clamp on it. This ain’t rocket surgery.
I cut off a small piece of the hose and re attached it. Will see tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom