rear view mirror mystery & door question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I recently (yesterday) took possession of a 10/1979 FJ40. I am going through it trying to take an inventory of what needs to be fixed / updated. It came with an aftermarket rear view mirror in the glove box.. The windshield frame does not appear to have a spot to mount a rear view mirror - could my windshield be from a different year?

Additionally, both the driver and passenger side doors are missing the hardware that prevents them from opening too far. I'm trying to find a source for it but I don't even know what this piece is called.

Any help much appreciated. Thank you.

IMG_4420.jpeg

IMG_4422.jpeg

something is amiss with the windshield frame....there should be provisions for the mirror and it looks worked in the pix.
Yeah it's weird - The area around the rubber gasket that hides the windshield sprayer seems unaffected, but obviously there's no place for the mirror..

They are called door limiters and you need the style that look like this.
1596420975554.png
You can post up in the for sale/wanted section ;)

I just saw that you are from Ohio! Where in Ohio are you?

Would anyone be able to post a detail of how the mirror is mounted? From what I've found it looks like there should be two holes horizontal in the center of the frame. Is there a nut welded on the back?

Would anyone be able to post a detail of how the mirror is mounted? From what I've found it looks like there should be two holes horizontal in the center of the frame. Is there a nut welded on the back?

Nutserts will be the easiest/cheapest/fastest way to mount the mirror. It is still available new from Toyota. PM me, I have a good source.

I'm right around the corner from you on the border of Gates Mills and Chesterland. So awesome to have a few other FJ40's around here!

I just did a little digging and found what the mount on a 1980 should look like on SOR, and a post on MUD from a 60 series has the same style mount. I don't know if this helps, but hopefully it does. I have a '77 with the older style, so no help there.

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.54.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-02 at 10.54.26 PM.png

This is great, thank you. I'll continue to look.

Here is a photo of my 12/79 mirror installed. Sorry for the other junk in the photo - a homemade GPS mount and some power and ham radio wires wrapped around the mirror. Also had to take it from a low angle because my roll cage is in the way.

IMG_1497[1].JPG

Thank you, much appreciated.

If I remove the plug that covers the windshield sprayer and feel inside, I can feel the nuts welded on the internal surface of the windshield frame. I got a small dental mirror and I can see them in there, but it has been covered over.

Thank you, much appreciated.

If I remove the plug that covers the windshield sprayer and feel inside, I can feel the nuts welded on the internal surface of the windshield frame. I got a small dental mirror and I can see them in there, but it has been covered over.

Maybe you could re-drill the holes carefully? Start with a small bit?

Can't imagine why anyone would weld up or otherwise cover over those holes. Previous owners do strange things ...

Maybe you could re-drill the holes carefully? Start with a small bit?

Can't imagine why anyone would weld up or otherwise cover over those holes. Previous owners do strange things ...

Yes that is my thought too. It feels like there is a broken off bolt in each nut. I assume the mirror and bolts broke off any they just patched over? Who knows. I think that I can measure it out and drill small. We'll see!

Yes that is my thought too. It feels like there is a broken off bolt in each nut. I assume the mirror and bolts broke off any they just patched over? Who knows. I think that I can measure it out and drill small. We'll see!

The good news is, even if the new drilled holes end up being a little too large or off center or otherwise grungy looking, they will be covered up by the mirror mount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom