Spent over $2,400 on my LX in 3 weeks! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'd say BaT and Hundys are the realm of alternative facts when it comes to value.

Folks here think the LX470 prices are going up. You should have watched the jump in the most recent SLK55 AMG prices in the last several months. Completely nuts.
ANY used cars right now seem to go up in price. Recently shopped for car for my daughter and was shocked what kind of money people were asking for stuff. And it sells.. Definitely good time to sell.

If it makes you feel any better, I wish I had only spent $2400 on my recent LX purchase. I'm up on you by about ten fold. Granted, much of that was fun stuff, but still...

I also don't think you overpaid. A nice body/frame/interior/drivetrain is worth $11k all day, even if it needs a little baselining. You can always find something cheaper, but at $11k, you didn't make a poor choice. Get ready for the next $2400, though. It's probably coming sooner than you think!

I think select 90s / early 2000s sports cars represent a quality of analog engineering that, if present, gets overwhelmed by tech these days. Could be just me, but the new stuff lacks a simplicity, openness and driver involvement that I really enjoy. I'd be surprised if SUVs appreciate the way an ITR/e46M3/E39M5 has, but IMO the 100 does have that same era 'best of breed' appeal to it.

The fact that you can get a nice example, baseline it and lightly mod it for anywhere near the price of an off-lease Highlander is the bargain of the century in my book. You got a very fair deal on a very nice truck, and spending a few grand (or more) to keep it tip-top on it's journey to X00,000 miles is just part of the deal.

I'd rather resolder a faulty AC button/switch than replace a fully integrated NAV stack any day of the week, personally.

New to the forum; the title of this thread captured my past couple of weeks perfectly. Have had my 99 LC since it was turned in off lease in 2001 (now 184k miles). All of the abuse and neglect are mine, unfortunately. Has been a good rig until the typical front diff failure recently. A replacement front diff, driver side axle, and 2 drive flanges later, she no longer drives in RWD only. Replaced front rotors, timing belt, radiator, etc.
Anyways, really appreciate all the input that has been put into this forum over the years. Invaluable for putting her back together over the last couple weeks. We live in a remote area of NE Washington and enjoy the comfort of the LC on the mountain roads. Without this forum, I'm not sure I could justify the repair expense. Thanks for helping bring my 99 LC back from the brink!

I bought a 2000 Lx470 in Nov of last year, actually the same color combo as yours. Owners said it was always serviced at the dealer and no big issues. Well I've noticed that the majority of sellers start to defer maintenance when the time sell comes around. 2400 bucks was spent before I even touched the failing ahc globes, wheels tires etc. Part of that was my fault, as a newbie to these cars I missed a lot of things when I inspected it. The other part was that even it is an invincible 100 series, it's still a 20 year old car with 200k miles, stuff is gonna need fixing.

I do have it in a sweet spot now and I know so much about the car that it doesn't intimidate me any longer.

Who said prices are going down?
Who said an LR3 or LR4 is more reliable?

I guess I'm just not in the know.

Nice score @retiredguest, and yes you were treated very fairly, imo, as mentioned on that round of refresh.

Fair price for a great condition LX470. $2400 isn't too bad for maintenance. Keep in mind these were $70,000 cars new and maintenance should be considered in that context rather than $11,000. I paid 10K for my 180K mile 2003 LX a few years ago -- I'm not quite at another $10,000 invested in maintenance and toys but I'm getting close. I tell myself a fully trail ready cruiser (which mine is now) current on all maintenance will command close to $20K on auction sites. I may be slightly off but I don't think I'm wildly off.

I purchased this two owner LX470 W/195,000 miles last month for $11,000 and in the last three weeks, have done the following.
Timing Belt and Water Pump= $800.
4 New Cooper Discovery A/T 3 tires= $870.
Fan pulley failed one week after timing belt-w/p job.
New fan pulley, Radiator, Hoses, Heater T's and Fan Clutch= $760.
I decided since we were already in there, to do the fan clutch, heater T's and Radiator. In retrospect, I should have replaced these items when he had it apart for the Timing Belt job but ???
Don't get me wrong, I love this new addition to my L/C Fleet. It drives better than any Cadillac I've owned and is much more civilized than my FJ60 but MAN $$$.View attachment 2376029View attachment 2376030 I hope I can start spending money on some toys for it now.
If you want to make some of that money back, I'd happily buy that roof rack from you if it's in good shape :)! Mine is falling apart.

I concur the prices are going up. I have been watching them come and go for the past year on Craiglist/Autotrader. You can't even find a LC or LX in San Diego for under$14k and most if not all are sold by dealers. I snagged mine a month ago for $9,700, 2006LX470 with 211k miles lexus maintained. Funny thing was my friend kept trying to tell me to offer $9k and be prepared to walk. I knew better, got to the car the day after it was posted. One advantage of being a real estate appraiser, you have a good pin on market value:)

I concur the prices are going up. I have been watching them come and go for the past year on Craiglist/Autotrader. You can't even find a LC or LX in San Diego for under$14k and most if not all are sold by dealers. I snagged mine a month ago for $9,700, 2006LX470 with 211k miles lexus maintained. Funny thing was my friend kept trying to tell me to offer $9k and be prepared to walk. I knew better, got to the car the day after it was posted. One advantage of being a real estate appraiser, you have a good pin on market value:)
How’s it goin with your hundo. Any mods yet?

Thanks for asking great so far, been getting my hands dirty with all the PM and baseline. The only mods I've done are 33s, ASFIR front skid (looking to add the middle and rear when they come out), WK sliders on order, mud flap delete.

I did all the fluids except coolant (2 year old oem radiator), tees, tstat, misc. Hoses, neutral ahc, had ML amp repaired (love listening to cds,-need a tape now), cleaned breathers, greased driveshaft, added tube extension to a/c condensate drain,replaced fuel filter.

Now want to spend a weekend detailing interior /exterior.

As mentioned parts aren't cheap-$550 and to repair oem ml amp but if it lasts another 15 years I'm good with that.

I feel like these have a lot of value if you are able and enjoy doing your own work. I have been able to fix most things on my rig with minimal frustration. I haven't had to do much though. I also probably run things longer than the average mudder does and should run them. I look at it as a hobby not an investment.

Thanks for asking great so far, been getting my hands dirty with all the PM and baseline. The only mods I've done are 33s, ASFIR front skid (looking to add the middle and rear when they come out), WK sliders on order, mud flap delete.

I did all the fluids except coolant (2 year old oem radiator), tees, tstat, misc. Hoses, neutral ahc, had ML amp repaired (love listening to cds,-need a tape now), cleaned breathers, greased driveshaft, added tube extension to a/c condensate drain,replaced fuel filter.

Now want to spend a weekend detailing interior /exterior.

As mentioned parts aren't cheap-$550 and to repair oem ml amp but if it lasts another 15 years I'm good with that.
Sweet, I’m eying the asfir front skid and tjm bumper all at
Once.

$2,400? Rookie numbers

The skid is dope I'll get thr middle when it comes out.
The S&H on the ASFIR was crazy cheap... Can't wait to see their next pieces come out too. :jawdrop:

It came fast too I wanna say within 7 to 8 days iirc. They said they are only a few weeks away from sale :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom